Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

Now in Alaska-Never Winterized the Trailer

On my way to Alaska I watched the temperatures carefully along the way and decided NOT to winterize my trailer after all.

I was prepared to do it and had the anti freeze with me but no night time temps were really threatening. Day time temps were in the 40's.

Now once I got to Tok Alaska which is actually historically in one of the coldest areas of the state I did stay in a motel as it was due to freeze fairly hard that night. (No RV parks open) The temp was supposed to be in the low 20's.

I parked the trailer and opened the slide and set my thermostat for 40 deg. and let my furnace keep it warm and toasty and above freezing.

Interestingly the bottled water in my truck and a bit left in a can in my console did not freeze that night.

Now that I am in Fairbanks I am staying in an extended stay apartment...none of the RV parks here open until Mid May...I have simply plugged in my trailer at the outlets intended for cars and trucks during the winter and left my little oil filled radiator type electric heater on low. Although night time temps here havnt been too low some have gotten into the 20's

Now in my trailer about 90% of all the water piping is actually INSIDE the trailer run cleverly in cabinets along the floor. I only have one small area between the water inlet/water heater and the sink where tubing is under the floor.

For those of you heading up this way soon I took the Cassiar highway up to meet the Alaska Highway just West/North of Watson Lake. The roads were all clear and in very good shape.

One advantage of coming up early is no or little construction. I only hit 2 places and neither were a bother.

Driving the Cassiar is like driving the Alaska Hwy when I first did the trip in November 1972 except the Cassiar is all paved. Then the Alaska Hwy was mostly gravel except through the larger towns. ( just for context this is my 4th drive up here)

Now the Alaska Hwy is all paved with great shoulders most of it's length and the trees have been cut back far from the road. The Cassiar is much more like the Alaska Hwy used to be with no shoulders and the trees very close to the road on both sides.

We keep track of all the animals we see and this time did not see many. A group of 23 mountain goats on a hillside at Kluane, a Black Bear near Tok, 3 Moose along the way, several Bald Eagles, and several pairs of Swans and a swimming Beaver.

Over all it was a fine trip and dead easy.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #2

Nice report. Why are you up there so early?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Nice report. Why are you up there so early?

Well occasionally I work for Holland America/Princess as I am this year.

But I am a fan of coming earlier than most do. Most wait until June to drive up which in many ways is too late.

Mid May is ideal as the parks and Rv Parks are open and the weather is very good. Also your chance of seeing Denali (the mountain) are 100's of times better earlier.

I will be here until mid September.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, trailer, winter