Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree Jim, if it made by man you will eventialy find it on the side of the road.
I am missing something in the need for more water taps in the parks. When we go hiking in the parks now we take X number of plastic bottles of water with us. Why can't we take the same amount of water in refillable containers? I seen plenty of places to refill these bottles, visitor centers, picnic areas, campgrounds, ranger stations and I have seen hickers using them to fill reusable bottles.
If you are going so far up country that can't carry enough water I don't think NPS is going to install taps that far back in the booneys.
Just my opinion, I know it stinks.

Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hipshot I don't think the back country hikers are the ones this whole issue is aimed at. For the most part they are probably the more self sufficient and environmentally responsible portion of the population that visit our state and national parks. It's the great unwashed masses that pour into the parks during the season. They're the ones that are going to flood old faithful and the park's attractions bringing nothing with them except hunger, thirst, and maybe a camera (for which they forgot to buy film or batteries in advance) so they can snap a few pictures to show everybody back home that they too have been to and enjoyed all they scenic wonders of this great nation. They are the ones for whom water, sanitary facilities, food and other perishables need to be available. I would no more expect bottled water to be available in the back country any more than I would expect bathrooms to available. Again, I believe what the directer is saying is that individual parks provide an adequate alternative to the bottled water. To me this means that in the places where they now sell bottled water is that have sufficient water fountains so the good visitors, who are also dropping their cash in these places, can quench their thirst without having to opt for cola or other sugar laden products. I read no mandate here to supply water outside areas where it is already available through the sale of bottled water. If you wish to take water to the more remote areas, provide your own container.

Personally, I carry a refillable water bottle with me almost all of the time. It doesn't look like the old canteen that I had in Army but it serves the same function. It is easier to get the ice cubes in than the canteen would have been. If I run out and do have to purchase a bottle of water I make sure the empty goes in the trash if there is no recycle bin available. Personally, I don't like to use public water fountains for the same reasons that I don't like to use public sanitary facilities, not to mention motel/hotel rooms, etc. I didn't have a problem before plastic bottles and grocery bags. I won't have a problem is they should all disappear. Qualification -- that is as long as Fruit 2 O still bottles peach flavored water for my wife in something. I can't live with her (not easily anyway) if she doesn't have her Fruit 2 0 peach flavored water. (Other brands will not do.) No they don't sell it in any of the parks that I've been to. Before we pull out on a trip I make sure plenty is on board for the entire trip. I had 8 cases (192 bottles) on board when we went out to Yellowstone and the west coast in '09. Most people, except a lot of us RVers, will not go to that much planning ahead and trouble but will rely upon the resources available at their destination.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #17
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the clarification. I to will not drink at a public fountain either. I carry my own in a large mouth container, easier to put the ice cubes in. DW and I have the hiking belts that each hold 2 refillable large mouth bottles and some nut bars.
I still have a WWII canteen and belt it was my dads. I don't use it anymore, it just hangs on the wall in the gunroom. When we first started camping 55 years ago in the California Mountains we did use it. I thought it was so cool to wear that belt and canteen.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #18
Faucet, garden hose, water fountain etc has always worked for me...I have never purchased a bottle of water and think it is a silly concept that the gullible folks bought into..but I'm from a generation that doesn't think I need the lastest and greatest in cell phones or I pods either. Life existed prior to bottled water, cell phone and I pods. i have never hugged a tree either

sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote