Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
From "I Love NY" to "We don't care if you like it here we aren't letting you leave". Send your tax payment for reading this message to NYisfiscallyirresponsibleandyougetotpayforit.com

The DW retires in a week, I will be following soon after. We currently have homes in NY and FL. We worked and lived in NY but will retire in FL while keeping our current NY home as a summer home only from May to the end of Aug. Several months less than half the year. I am reading through everything we have to do just to prove the NY home will no longer be our domicile....

It's no wonder there is a mass exodus out of this state. How sad is it a state has to force people to jump through such crazy hoops to keep them? Florida and others entice the people by being tax friendly.
Well, you could get rid of everything, live in a tent in a park and pay no taxes at all, or learn to deal with this tremendously challenging situation you now now face.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
I met a guy from New Jersey who has a home in Maryland (Still a high Tax state) and to Leave he has to Pay an EXIT TAX??? -- --

Pay to get out of a Bad State........this is crazy.

JMHO,

note here - Interesting that I have traveled to and Love almost all he states in this great country - but there are three or four that I avoid now - NY - Cali - Chicago and Boston - still have Great People I just Don't understand the Politics and the Taxes
Chicago and Boston are cities.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Well, you could get rid of everything, live in a tent in a park and pay no taxes at all, or learn to deal with this tremendously challenging situation you now now face.
Tent huh? Definitely something to consider......lol.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Lets try to steer the conversation back toward RVing. Politics, except in rare cases when it pertains to RVing, is not a subject for discussion at iRV2. Generally, if you mention a politician by name, a specific political party, or make any red and blue comparisons, your post will be edited or deleted. Discussion of government functions, such as taxes, is permitted IF it pertains to RVing. This is an RVing site and discussions should be centered around RVing, except in the Just Conversation Forum. However, even in that forum, our rules still apply and purely political discussions will be removed.

Here's a link to our rules: http://www.irv2.com/forums/misc.php?...ork&page=rules
Old 06-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I understand your frustration. You have two states, California and New York, who are trying to see who can outdo the other with the worse legislation. In their goal to take every dollar from those that are working, they are chasing working people out of the state as fast as they are drawing in those not willing to work. Consequently, they're trying to hold on tight to your money.

Unfortunately, the issue is not hard to understand. You have two homes and it needs to be determined where you pay your income tax. They can't trust that everyone will be honest and do the right thing. As much as I hate the two states, I can't fault them for making you prove residency.
In the end I will do what I have to do. I wrote the original topic after reading several web sites lists of what is required. I understand the registrations, titles, changing address's on everything, bank accounts and all that and actually much of that is all ready established for our FL home. I thought having to move our Will to FL was a bit over the top since we still have adult children in NY but if that's what they want that's what they will get. Some of my frustration comes from being in business for the past 44 years dealing in this state with all the crazy regs we have to jump through daily. Kind of one of those....Man retirement can't come quick enough, Florida here we come...I have to do what to get out here? Lol.

Good conversation and tips either way. I don't get upset and I certainly don't judge or begrudge anyone their views on pretty much any topic. Actually all our friends have opposite views as we do, we can all be great friends and still differ on opinions. Feel bad for those that can't but to each their own.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Chicago and Boston are cities.
I left out the Two States just to see if people even realized those cities were part of two states.... ...Glad to see you figured it out...

For those who didn't know Illinois and Massachusetts are the two states - that go with Chicago and Boston.............:dance :

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You got to be nuts to live in CA, NY or IL with their crazy govt, high taxes and poor attitudes.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
You got to be nuts to live in CA, NY or IL with their crazy govt, high taxes and poor attitudes.
I have a nice little 3 bedroom summer home on the Oneida River, connected to the Erie Canal. We love walking out to the dock with waiting pontoon boat.

The property taxes are only $2400 a year.

I also pay $1800 a year for flood insurance but that's a Federal money grab.

Born and raised in NY.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Nuts eh? I grew up in Chicago, lived most of my life there, made a damned good living there and enjoyed the many pleasures of the city. And when I'm done with the fulltime RV life I'll go back there.

By the way, in Illinois you're not taxed on retirement income, you know, pension and SS.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Texas and you guys have no reason to wag fingers about crazy government.
JpalmerCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
In the end I will do what I have to do. I wrote the original topic after reading several web sites lists of what is required. I understand the registrations, titles, changing address's on everything, bank accounts and all that and actually much of that is all ready established for our FL home. I thought having to move our Will to FL was a bit over the top since we still have adult children in NY but if that's what they want that's what they will get. Some of my frustration comes from being in business for the past 44 years dealing in this state with all the crazy regs we have to jump through daily. Kind of one of those....Man retirement can't come quick enough, Florida here we come...I have to do what to get out here? Lol.

Good conversation and tips either way. I don't get upset and I certainly don't judge or begrudge anyone their views on pretty much any topic. Actually all our friends have opposite views as we do, we can all be great friends and still differ on opinions. Feel bad for those that can't but to each their own.
If you document that you are no longer a resident of NY then you should be fine. Documentation can be with credit card statements, phone records, travel records, etc. If you still have income from NY via holding a mortgage on NY property or owning a rental property in NY then you will still be filing NY income tax but it will be as a non-resident.

Be careful that you don't make some very costly mistakes. We had one client who was a legal resident of Florida in every respect. Well, they came back here to Western NY in the summer and the guy signed up for a RESIDENT fishing license. OOPS! Mistakes like that can be costly.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
If you document that you are no longer a resident of NY then you should be fine. Documentation can be with credit card statements, phone records, travel records, etc. If you still have income from NY via holding a mortgage on NY property or owning a rental property in NY then you will still be filing NY income tax but it will be as a non-resident.

Be careful that you don't make some very costly mistakes. We had one client who was a legal resident of Florida in every respect. Well, they came back here to Western NY in the summer and the guy signed up for a RESIDENT fishing license. OOPS! Mistakes like that can be costly.
That's great advise thank you. It should be easy enough to document as this is actually what we will be doing. We will not have any NY income, no rentals etc. except the DW's state pension which is not taxed anyway. Good paper makes good friends.

Couple of questions, regarding registrations. We have 3 vehicles, an RV, several boats with trailers. We will only be using two of the vehicles in FL and all ready have them registered and insured there.

1) Can we leave one vehicle registered in NY for our summer home? I have been pulled over with our Florida registered Jeep in NY and told if we are in the area for more than 90 days we have to register it in NY.
2) Our boats will remain in NY as that is the lake we will be using it one when there for the summer, is that ok?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #40

I am a Fl. resident and have 3 boats and a trailer registered in NY.

I have Fl. plates on my MH, car and pickup. Got stopped twice and no one said I needed NY plates after 90 days.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #41

States are struggling. Free stuff has to be paid for by someone. Full time RV'ers are probably easy targets for state tax departments. Be vigilant and keep records and be careful where you get your resident fishing license.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
As you're a retired government employee I assume you approve of taxes that supported and continue to support you. But then everybody supports those taxes that benefit them and disapproves of taxes that benefit others. [mod edit]

Anyway, wherever I go I'll vote as I see fit.
Retired government employee?? Seriously? I’m sure veterans do not appreciate your remark. I am a retired Vietnam combat veteran, what are you? Also I have been deployed multiple times throughout the world and have missed out on a lot of family time. I believe anyone that does this is entitled to a decent retirement after serving 20 plus years. The problem today is that too many people believe they are entitled to a lot of stuff for doing nothing. And.... of course you can vote any way you like..... veterans fought for your right to do so.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote