Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #1

NY's new motto

From "I Love NY" to "We don't care if you like it here we aren't letting you leave". Send your tax payment for reading this message to NYisfiscallyirresponsibleandyougetotpayforit.com

The DW retires in a week, I will be following soon after. We currently have homes in NY and FL. We worked and lived in NY but will retire in FL while keeping our current NY home as a summer home only from May to the end of Aug. Several months less than half the year. I am reading through everything we have to do just to prove the NY home will no longer be our domicile....

It's no wonder there is a mass exodus out of this state. How sad is it a state has to force people to jump through such crazy hoops to keep them? Florida and others entice the people by being tax friendly.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you have an RV, and a very nice one at that, why keep a part-time other home? My rv IS my other home.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
If you have an RV, and a very nice one at that, why keep a part-time other home? My rv IS my other home.
RVing for us will be for getting back and fourth from each home, the occasional extended weekend and a few cross country trips. Right now at least we would not want to give up our lake home for summers. We have given serious thought to what you suggest but unfortunately there are no places to park a unit for any length of time that gets us on the lake. We have a nice state park on the lake but very limited electric sights and no sewer. Plus can only stay 2 weeks at a time.

We will jump through the hoops but man it's crazy.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
RVing for us will be for getting back and fourth from each home, the occasional extended weekend and a few cross country trips. Right now at least we would not want to give up our lake home for summers. We have given serious thought to what you suggest but unfortunately there are no places to park a unit for any length of time that gets us on the lake. We have a nice state park on the lake but very limited electric sights and no sewer. Plus can only stay 2 weeks at a time.

We will jump through the hoops but man it's crazy.
Until last spring we also maintained a small second home in NY. You do have to jump through hoops when it comes to residency issues on vacation homes because for decades everyone was gaming the system and the full time residents were stuck picking up more than their share of the tab for government services.(I was one of those full time residents). 30 days seem short to be declared a full time resident. But many other states have adapted the same model.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Until last spring we also maintained a small second home in NY. You do have to jump through hoops when it comes to residency issues on vacation homes because for decades everyone was gaming the system and the full time residents were stuck picking up more than their share of the tab for government services.(I was one of those full time residents). 30 days seem short to be declared a full time resident. But many other states have adapted the same model.
I get that many played the system, maybe still are.

For NY I believe it has little to do with others picking up the tab as you still have to pay all the property taxes, utilities and use local services to maintain and or keep your place running, maybe more so, if not there, all while using a much smaller amount of services and certainly leaving a much smaller foot print. The taxes on our home will continue to support the area even if we are not there.

In NY it is all about the income taxes they would lose from people leaving.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #6

We got out back in 2014. The thing is there are so many people stuck in the NYRut. I cannot imagine ever living there again.....even part time.
That said, Best Wishes for. Long, Happy Retirement.
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonsize View Post
We got out back in 2014. The thing is there are so many people stuck in the NYRut. I cannot imagine ever living there again.....even part time.
That said, Best Wishes for. Long, Happy Retirement.
Thank you!!
Old 06-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #8

That is a big reason why we sold our Mich home and made a clean break to TX as FT'ers. When we settle back down in Mich, we will buy another house and will have saved $10k a year by avoiding the cost of owning a house along with paying Mich State income tax. For a 10 to 15 year FT plan, that's a chunk of change that by itself should make a good payment for the future retirement house.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #9

There was a news article about this several months ago, they interviewed the governor about it, one of the best comments I read was he stated all the democrats kept saying "tax the rich, tax the rich" then says "now the rich are leaving".
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #10

So, if you live in NY for 30 days you are considered a resident? Does that mean income tax on your 12 month income? If that's the case and you live 30 days each in several states like that you could really end up in the hole.

I think I'll just stay in TN and be sure not to visit any northern states for more than 30 days per year.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
There was a news article about this several months ago, they interviewed the governor about it, one of the best comments I read was he stated all the democrats kept saying "tax the rich, tax the rich" then says "now the rich are leaving".
Living in this state I can truly say I know MANY people who think taxing the rich is the only answer and they will never leave. The mere thought of taxing them sends them to the state check book to start writing checks for programs the state can not afford.

I recall a news story, or as we like to say a Photo Op for Cuomo where he came out and went on and on about all the bills they just pass spending money, a minute later they interviewed a couple of the officials holding the purse strings who were shaking their head stating none of that will pass appropriations......
Old 06-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
So, if you live in NY for 30 days you are considered a resident? Does that mean income tax on your 12 month income? If that's the case and you live 30 days each in several states like that you could really end up in the hole.

I think I'll just stay in TN and be sure not to visit any northern states for more than 30 days per year.

That's not really true in the real world sense. We camp host in different states for 2-3 months at a time and we have never been approached about the 30 day residency. Now if you buy/own some property and return on a yearly basis, then you may attract that states attention tax wise.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #13

Residency is all about intentions. To where do you intend to return. If you keep a home, club (of any kind) memberships, church memberships, doctors, dentists etc. they are a pretty good indication that you intend to return that state. I would also believe that it is a rebuttable presumption. The fact is that you have to establish yourself in another state, not just live there for a while. I would bet that there is some information that says what tests NY uses to determine residency, find them and you will likely find out what you have to do. One thing that NY does that I fully and vehemently disagree with is they use where your children live as a factor. That, in my opinion, is a bunch of fragrant bovine fertilizer!
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:40 PM   #14

Old military acronym:

PPPPPD.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote