Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Observations About Campground Hosting

Back in July I opened a thread titled Do You Clean Bathrooms When You Host?. The topic ended up being a 4 page discussion, including my own reflections after six weeks into my first hosting gig.

I have had a great time hosting and have met many, many nice people. I have thoroughly enjoyed chatting with folks and learning where they were coming from and where they were going. It was surprising how many asked me about hosting. Apparently it is in the back of many people's minds. Hopefully I nudged a few into taking action.

In the original thread I posted at the end of six weeks about how positive the experience was, and how I had found myself taking "ownership" and considering it "my" park.

Now my first hosting session has finished, and I thought it could be interesting to bring the episode to a close with some of the other observations from my experience. So here are the things that are in the front of my mind in no particular order whatsoever. I am sure those of you who have hosted can add to the list (and I hope you do).
  • Beer and Soda Cans do NOT burn. Throwing them in the fire ring is not a way to dispose of them.
  • Cigarette Butts do not disappear when they are thrown on the ground or in the fire ring.
  • Cigarette Smokers seem to be sloppy campers. Invariably the sites that needed the most cleaning after campers have left were sites where there were smokers.
  • Children, when left alone, seem to like playing with toilet paper - especially seeing how much they can put in a toilet. This is NOT a gender-specific activity.
  • Beer Drinkers don't seem to be able to wrap their heads around the concept of recycling aluminum cans. The number of beer cans in trash cans when there is a convenient recycling receptacle is astonishing. In 10 weeks not one of the recycling containers needed emptying.
  • Trash Cans are apparently a challenge to some folks - especially using a can that has space for trash. Piling more trash in a full can or just putting the trash near a trash can is as much as many folks can manage.
  • Open Carry is disconcerting for many campers (including hosts) - especially those campers with children. Interestingly enough, Missouri State Parks allow open-carry, but do not allow the discharge of firearms in their parks. Why bring a gun?

These are things that in stick out to me at this time. I know there are others, but these will do of right now.

All-in-all hosting was great, and we look forward to our next gig.

AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 05:27 PM   #2

As far as the open carry comment . Why bring a gun... You are allowed to protect your self in MO .

Old 09-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post

Now my first hosting session has finished, and I thought it could be interesting to bring the episode to a close with some of the other observations from my experience.
Nothing about dogs?
Old 09-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Nothing about dogs?

Really . That's usually one of my biggest gripes .
Old 09-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
Back in July I opened a thread titled Do You Clean Bathrooms When You Host?. The topic ended up being a 4 page discussion, including my own reflections after six weeks into my first hosting gig.

I have had a great time hosting and have met many, many nice people. I have thoroughly enjoyed chatting with folks and learning where they were coming from and where they were going. It was surprising how many asked me about hosting. Apparently it is in the back of many people's minds. Hopefully I nudged a few into taking action.

In the original thread I posted at the end of six weeks about how positive the experience was, and how I had found myself taking "ownership" and considering it "my" park.

Now my first hosting session has finished, and I thought it could be interesting to bring the episode to a close with some of the other observations from my experience. So here are the things that are in the front of my mind in no particular order whatsoever. I am sure those of you who have hosted can add to the list (and I hope you do).
  • Beer and Soda Cans do NOT burn. Throwing them in the fire ring is not a way to dispose of them.
  • Cigarette Butts do not disappear when they are thrown on the ground or in the fire ring.
  • Cigarette Smokers seem to be sloppy campers. Invariably the sites that needed the most cleaning after campers have left were sites where there were smokers.
  • Children, when left alone, seem to like playing with toilet paper - especially seeing how much they can put in a toilet. This is NOT a gender-specific activity.
  • Beer Drinkers don't seem to be able to wrap their heads around the concept of recycling aluminum cans. The number of beer cans in trash cans when there is a convenient recycling receptacle is astonishing. In 10 weeks not one of the recycling containers needed emptying.
  • Trash Cans are apparently a challenge to some folks - especially using a can that has space for trash. Piling more trash in a full can or just putting the trash near a trash can is as much as many folks can manage.
  • Open Carry is disconcerting for many campers (including hosts) - especially those campers with children. Interestingly enough, Missouri State Parks allow open-carry, but do not allow the discharge of firearms in their parks. Why bring a gun?

These are things that in stick out to me at this time. I know there are others, but these will do of right now.

All-in-all hosting was great, and we look forward to our next gig.

I am currently camp hosting and there is a lot of truth in the above post. This is also my first time. Not sure if I want to do this again. I am really not sure if I want to continue babysitting adults.

More power to those who can host.

Brandi

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzbrandi View Post
I am currently camp hosting and there is a lot of truth in the above post. This is also my first time. Not sure if I want to do this again. I am really not sure if I want to continue babysitting adults.

More power to those who can host.

Brandi

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Yes , while we do hope to start full timing next year , & we plan to do some form of workamping , I'm not sure host is really up my alley.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #7

Thanks for hosting AggieDad
We really like staying at State and Federal hosted parks. We'd like to specifically call out those run by American Land and Leisure. We've stayed in Forest Service campgrounds where the pit toilets are so well cared for you want to reach for the flush handle.
We too find that in general smokers tend to treat the whole outdoors as their personal ashtray. Yes, I will stop and pick up butts and bits of other trash when I see it. Kind of like I clean up after my pet when we're on a walk. Most folks take personal responsibility for their trash, their pets and their kids. A few didn't get this lesson as youngsters so we fill in where needed.
As for open carry, if you feel like you need this level of self protection then better to have it out where it can be seen. It let's everyone know where you stand and is probably the best deterrent against potential crime out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3023 (1).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	138984  
5D Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Nothing about dogs?
Thanks for reminding me. Except for one instance, the campers with dogs were no problem. The real problem were non-campers who used the park to walk their dogs and did not believe they should have to pick up the pile. After all, it's a state park with maintenance - right?
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #9

I am always amazed at how some folks behave when camping or other opportunities to be away from home. Do they not flush toilets at home or do they have and expect a mom or wife to do it for them, not to mention what they do with the TP. Do they throw trash on their own lawns and expect someone else to pick it up? Signs say don't cut trees, don't dump gray water, but happens all the time. Having stayed at many campgrounds open to all comers, I fully understand why folks stay at upper end resorts.
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was always taught to take away more trash than you bring in. If everyone would do this it would be hard to do. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Just returned from Alaska. Stayed at many BC and Yukon Provinical parks. Some had camp hosts and many did not. Overall very well kept. Stayed at many Alaska State Parks and Federal BLM and forest service parks. Especially the BLM and Forest service ones, were top notch. Everyone had a camp host were I made it my duty to thank them for such a clean park, especially the vault toilets. So clean I would eat my lunch there. Just kidding.

Back home in our state parks (Ohio) the VIP's ( Volunteers in the Parks) have their hands full after a weekend of campers. The biggest deal is some think the fire ring is where you put all your trash. Many times we arrive on a Sunday and the first thing I do is get out my small shovel and garbage bag and clean out the fire ring. I always make it a point to leave my campsite cleaner than I arrived. I even have one of those tweezy things to pick up small trash including butts.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #12

Sounds about right after our first year hosting.

Like someone else said I would add dogs to the list. Well not doge. bad dog owners and that they assume they can let fido run around off leash. no you can not., I am sure your dog is wonderful but if every dog also was off leash i can assure we would have a dog fight every two or three days.

We enjoyed making the campgrounds as nice as they could be. The biggest problem we had at one of the two locations was how we did not have what we needed and were denied the tiny little things keep things right.

At one we had a shovel, a broken rake, and a broom that was well past its life. We were asked to keep vault toliets and the sites clean. oh we did have cheap latex gloves that the dollar store would sell for fifty cents.

managment was clueless and useless. they just did not care about campers or the campground. just the cash count at the end of the week. Yeh we left that gig early

Other place we did was same company but managed fine....we at least had everything we needed to do the job well.

Goes to show it aint the company, it is the direct manager who can make or break how the season goes for a camp host.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #13

Why bring a Gun, for the same reason you are able to complain about the things on your list!
Old 09-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #14

AggieDad: Excellent observations on campground hosting. We've done it for years and ALL of your topics are right on. Unfortunately, many of those that trash a park will not be on this site to see how it affects others. We always felt that our caring for the parks helps in a small way.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground