Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Observations from our travels

We are on our first post-retirement trip. We started from home in VA on June 6 and traveled to the Oregon coast, seeing and doing a bunch of things on the way. We are now in Greenwood, NE and are slowing heading back home, to arrive in late September. So far on this wonderful trip, I have observed and learned some interesting and curious things. A few of these include the following:

1. Most everyone we've contacted, including merchants, sales people, RV park employees, other RVr's have been genuinely nice and helpful. We read and hear so much about unfriendly, uncaring or just stupid people and it has been encouraging to see how good people generally seem to be.
2. Oregon is beautiful but does seem to be a hot bed for old hippies . No slam on the many wonderful folks we met in Oregon but we visited an open market in downtown Eugene on a Saturday and I thought I was back in the '60's, except all the hippies were older and fatter .
3. In spite of some 80 mph speed limits in Idaho and Utah, most drivers did not seem to be running that fast. I expected to have my doors blown off but, even running our average 62-63 mph, those who passed were not flying low.
Are folks trying to save fuel or just driving with more good sense?
4. We installed a CB in our coach with some hesitation. I had a CB many years ago but understood it to be relatively useless now and what you would hear mostly is truckers using colorful language. That has not been true. We drove I-80 from it's start near Salt Lake City to near Omaha and the road is loaded with trucks, for sure. We've heard nothing but professional and helpful chatter from the drivers. I asked a few questions along the way and always got a helpful and courteous response. I was pleasantly surprised.
5. Regarding I-80, I had been told NE was basically like Kansas, mind-numbing and flat. We did not find I-80 that way at all. While flat and lined with corn fields in many places, there were interesting things to see and do along the way. The Arch at Kearney was really cool. Plus, a nearly 40,000 coach can get better than 9 mpg on most of I80.
6. Some of the best places to eat are some 'hole-in-the-wall' places. The Inland Caf in Baker City, Oregon was one of those. We would highly recommend it to anyone visiting that area.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #2

Ain't traveling fun!

Magic Bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

Sounds like you had a great adventure. I hope you have more of them and relate your tales to us.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
jx2

Monaco Owners Club
I can't wait till we get to make that post!!! How far down did you go in Oregon? Eugene is definitely a hippie haven Congrat's on your retirement!
jx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jx2 View Post
I can't wait till we get to make that post!!! How far down did you go in Oregon? Eugene is definitely a hippie haven Congrat's on your retirement!
Our stops in Oregon included Bend, Eugene, Junction City (to get work done at Country Coach), Newport, Portland and Baker City.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Sounds like a great adventure. DW and I love Oregon as well...Good luck with your retirement
Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #7
jx2

Monaco Owners Club
If you ever come back out here, the Oregon Coast is gorgeous! July - October have especially nice weather
jx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi smlranger, welcome to the world of retirees. its a blast. Now just don't get into much trouble, with all the free time you have now.
Great post. That is one of the trips we want to take. Probably in a couple of years.
Safe Travels
Bill
Bill----WWJU
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats on your retirement!! It's so inspiring to read your post! I just read it to DH and we both took a big sighing breath!! Hopefully we'll be out there soon enough when we're ready...still have one in college etc!! Sounds like a wonderful adventure...keep us posted and inspired!!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #10

What a great trip! We are stationary until December, can't wait to get back on the road. Tucson for 3 months with the seniors, yippee!
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Missourijan where do you stay at in Arizona and do you reserve a spot ahead of time , we are newbies and looking into staying in tucson. ?
Old 08-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats on your retirement and to making good use of it! I have noticed the same about people during our traveling for the racing we do. I have run across very few individuals who were not nice. Most seem to be helpful and interested in the rv and where we are going and what we are doing. Keep the updates coming for those of us who have a bunch of years left till we can do what you are!
Old 08-08-2014, 02:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Oregon is beautiful but does seem to be a hot bed for old hippies
A lot of them in Sedona, AZ as well!

rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel