Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Obtaining a CDL

I have a dilemma. I would like to get a Class B CDL with Passenger Bus and Airbrake endorsements over the summer. (It will be very useful for our volunteer position next winter). I hold a South Dakota drivers license, and we will be spending the summer in Oregon. Any suggestions on 1. do I need a CDL "Learners Permit" to practice driving in Oregon, and 2. do I have to travel to South Dakota to take the test?

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #2

I would think both questions would be best answered if you contacted the motor vehicle License Departments of each State

Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

I found CDL drivers license program. with a quick internet search, hope it helps.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
South Dakota does not require a CDL to operate a Class A Coach. That being said, if you could find a Class A Coach with air brakes to practice on that would negate the need for a learners permit.

As to your second question, yes you would need to return to SD to test for your Class B CDL with Passenger and Air Brake Endorsements. In order to obtain a CDL learner's permit you would be required to take and pass the written General Knowledge Test and also the written tests for both endorsements before being issued a Learner's Permit. In any event you should contact South Dakota Department of Public Safety: : Home Page for the full scoop.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Since you hold a South Dakota license and want a SD-issued CDL, you need to do what the South Dakota DMV requires, which will include a SD CDL driving test. You can practice whenever and wherever you like, but the testing procedure will be per SD DMV rules.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
You also need a real address for a CDL, not a forwarding service.

My forwarding service once told me a woman down the street "rented rooms" for $100 a year to meet that requirement.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You could also check into taking driving classes with semi's. If it's anything like most motorcycle classes if you pass the class you get the endorsement from the DMV.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
You also need a real address for a CDL, not a forwarding service.

My forwarding service once told me a woman down the street "rented rooms" for $100 a year to meet that requirement.
Amazing how she got all those "rooms" into that tiny house, ain't it?
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Good old american ingenuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Amazing how she got all those "rooms" into that tiny house, ain't it?

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not to muddy the waters here, but are you planning on doing commercial hauling/trucking? Trying to figure out if you are doing this for an Oregon summer or what. Cannot say about Oregon if you are going to be there for the summer, but most states have reciprocal agreements on licensing issues. We are fine in SD with our Ga licenses.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Since you hold a South Dakota license and want a SD-issued CDL, you need to do what the South Dakota DMV requires, which will include a SD CDL driving test. You can practice whenever and wherever you like, but the testing procedure will be per SD DMV rules.
Thanks Gary. I'd plan to return to SD for the test. I recall reading somewhere that some kind of "learners permit" may be required for practicing in a commercial vehicle. The long term objective here is to be licensed to drive retired school buses on a National Wildlife Refuge doing visitor tours.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #12

bdickson, read the link I provided closely. It has all the details you need. It even says you only need a class C CDL to drive a school bus.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
When I got my class A CDL 20 years ago, I had to pass a written exam (actually computerized) for General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination, and Haz Mat endorsements.
After I paid the proper fees and passed the written exam, I was issued a CDL "learners permit" that was valid for 6 months. It worked just like a regular learners permit, I had to have a CDL driver in the cab with me whenever I "practiced" driving a commercial vehicle. (I still had my regular license during all of this)
When I was ready to take my 'hands on' test, I had to hire a 3rd party instructor to give me the road test and I had to supply the truck as well.
When I completed all of that, I had to surrender my Class E and get my CDL.
Since you only want a class B, you will only need to take General Knowledge and Air Brakes, and then get a passenger endorsement to drive a bus.
You will also be required to pass a D.O.T. medical examination every two years. If you are diabetic or have high blood pressure, I advise you to seek another profession, it's a big hassle to keep a CDL with either one.
With all of that being said, that was in 1993 and it was in the State of West Virginia. However, I doubt the SD process is very different since the U.S.D.O.T. sets the requirements for the CDL program.

That's about all I remember, other than the details of the road test and such. Hope it helps!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
When I got my class A CDL 20 years ago, I had to pass a written exam (actually computerized) for General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination, and Haz Mat endorsements.
After I paid the proper fees and passed the written exam, I was issued a CDL "learners permit" that was valid for 6 months. It worked just like a regular learners permit, I had to have a CDL driver in the cab with me whenever I "practiced" driving a commercial vehicle. (I still had my regular license during all of this)
When I was ready to take my 'hands on' test, I had to hire a 3rd party instructor to give me the road test and I had to supply the truck as well.
When I completed all of that, I had to surrender my Class E and get my CDL.
Since you only want a class B, you will only need to take General Knowledge and Air Brakes, and then get a passenger endorsement to drive a bus.
You will also be required to pass a D.O.T. medical examination every two years. If you are diabetic or have high blood pressure, I advise you to seek another profession, it's a big hassle to keep a CDL with either one.
With all of that being said, that was in 1993 and it was in the State of West Virginia. However, I doubt the SD process is very different since the U.S.D.O.T. sets the requirements for the CDL program.

That's about all I remember, other than the details of the road test and such. Hope it helps!
So it looks like the order of business is: Study, take the written test, get a medical, get a learners permit, practice on the road, take the road test. Looks like I would have to be in South Dakota twice during this process. That, and the fact I take blood pressure and diabetes meds is making me think that someone else can drive the bus next year. Thanks to everyone for the input.