Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #1

Wink Odd floorplan choices

In looking at RVs I see a lot of odd little things in the design of interiors that don't make much sense to me. No doubt you have noticed some as well.

Please share the quirk. Or if you think there is a good reason for the oddity, then please explain.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #2

Why have full-length windows in front of the bathroom?

I don't get why multiple manufacturers would choose to have full length windows in the hall in front of the bathroom. It adds heat, and it's not like you want to stand in the hall and admire the view. And worst of all, it seems it could lead to some unwanted exposure situations with your neighbors.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Here's a link with some ideas.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/rv-la...ion-63761.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We shop for a New or upgrade we make a list of things we absolutely DON'T want. The RV must utilize decorators who never spent a minute in an RV. Many interiors look like 18th century bordellos. Recently saw one that had a drawer at base under cabinet where one would keep pet feed and water bowls. I know dogs are smart, but I really doubt they will open that drawer. Rope lights, mirror, valances that belong in a Nevada HOUSE OF ILL REPUTE. I just want one that is well built. leave the crappy little do dads to will accept the crap. safe travels.... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
We shop for a New or upgrade we make a list of things we absolutely DON'T want. The RV must utilize decorators who never spent a minute in an RV. Many interiors look like 18th century bordellos. Recently saw one that had a drawer at base under cabinet where one would keep pet feed and water bowls. I know dogs are smart, but I really doubt they will open that drawer. Rope lights, mirror, valances that belong in a Nevada HOUSE OF ILL REPUTE. I just want one that is well built. leave the crappy little do dads to will accept the crap. safe travels.... ed
opinions are like noses,we all have one!
if the items you don't care for didn't sell the manufactures would have discontinued them long ago. they are in the business to sell units to the masses.
it might not be you or i but somebody must like them.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #6

Personally, I could never figure out some of the weird upholstery colors some RV's have. Pink for example. Sometimes I think the manufactures buy stuff at a discount that they could not sell to household furniture dealers and then put it in there RV's.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #7

Why would you put the light switches in the bathroom over by the shower/bathtub instead of over by the door where they would be handy? Other than that, I love my Newmar.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #8

I no longer have a picture of it but I had a creepy tinted (grey) mirror on the side of the reefer enclosure. Because of the location, you couldn't actually use it as a mirror ... and it reflected light that made everything look depressingly grey .... eeew!

I have also noticed some odd locations for floor to ceiling windows ... it's as if they didn't know what else to do with the wall because of the narrow space.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Chalk me up as another who hates the mirrors and decor...but those are not floorplan-related. One thing I just wouldn't have is the dinette booth/table directly across from the bathroom.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
I don't get why multiple manufacturers would choose to have full length windows in the hall in front of the bathroom. It adds heat, and it's not like you want to stand in the hall and admire the view. And worst of all, it seems it could lead to some unwanted exposure situations with your neighbors.
Funny, I actually like that option. This lets in lots of daylight to an otherwise dark coach
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Chalk me up as another who hates the mirrors and decor...but those are not floorplan-related. One thing I just wouldn't have is the dinette booth/table directly across from the bathroom.
True, but the OPs first sentence reads:
"In looking at RVs I see a lot of odd little things in the design of interiors that don't make much sense to me."

Like you, I prefer a more remote location for the bathroom.
Basically, I still like the subdivided approach 1) eating/cooking/living, 2) bathroom/dressing, and 3) bedroom.