Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #15

".......detect the presence of the marker immediately with a tailpipe probe from the residue inside the pipe."

WOW! So they just wander thru the parking areas probing each vehicle's exhaust pipe?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdbus View Post
".......detect the presence of the marker immediately with a tailpipe probe from the residue inside the pipe."

WOW! So they just wander thru the parking areas probing each vehicle's exhaust pipe?
Yes, that's exactly what they do.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #17

Before you buy red dyed diesel, make sure you check the sulfur contents if your coach is 07 or newer. In my area, and up until not very long ago, farm diesel is still 500 ppm sulfur, (new low sulfur is 15 ppm or less).
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my area (Texas) the distributor adds the dye so he tells me. He cannot get "high sulfur" diesel since its no longer refined in the US. Canada must still be refining high sulfur.

Rusty, I was at a cattle auction a couple years ago when the auctioneer made an announcement that weights and measurements officers were in the parking lot checking fuel tanks. We could easily tell which owners had the wrong fuel as they quickly lost the color in their faces.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

Rusty
And no one has challenged that? Once their probe 'breaks the plane' of the end of the exhaust pipe, they have 'entered' my vehicle, just like thru a door or window. How do they justify that 'search and seizure' of exhaust material without probable cause and a warrant?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'd suggest, if you're running red diesel, you might want to consult with an attorney regarding that question. The courts have ruled numerous times that a motor vehicle is NOT our home and thus not protected to the same extent our homes are by the Fourth Amendment guarantees regarding searches.

Rusty
Old 01-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #21

Quote:
I'd suggest, if you're running red diesel, you might want to consult with an attorney regarding that question. The courts have ruled numerous times that a motor vehicle is NOT our home and thus not protected to the same extent our homes are by the Fourth Amendment guarantees regarding searches.

Rusty
A vehicle search is governed by a different set of standards than a search of 'real property'. But there must be an articulatable standard of probable cause to initiate a search. I have just never heard of a 'sweep' search like that, and one that could withstand scrutiny. Where are these 'tailpipe' searches occurring?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'm an engineer, not an attorney, so I'm bowing out of this phase of the exchange. As I stated, in Texas anywhere farm vehicles congregate (livestock and equipment auctions are quite common). Since the same officers enforce the road taxes as the commercial vehicle regs, they may be doing it at weigh stations as well, although that's speculation on my part.

Personally, I don't practice tax evasion, so I really don't think or worry too much about it.

Rusty
Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #23

Quote:

Rusty
Ok, Rusty, I can respect that. But before you go, could you please enlighten me on where this practice is occurring? Thank you
Old 01-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdbus View Post
A vehicle search is governed by a different set of standards than a search of 'real property'. But there must be an articulatable standard of probable cause to initiate a search. I have just never heard of a 'sweep' search like that, and one that could withstand scrutiny. Where are these 'tailpipe' searches occurring?
Just my opinion (I'm not an attorney either) but I think it would like a search inside your garbage bag after you put it at the curb for pick up...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
As I've stated twice previously, in Texas it's reported as being quite common at farm equipment and livestock auction parking lots. As Elkhartjim reported, before this new technology became available, the LEOs would "dip the tanks" of the same vehicles at these locations, which would seem to me as being far more intrusive (i.e., has the exhaust in the exhaust pipe entered the public domain?) This practice has been reported firsthand and discussed NUMEROUS times on various diesel truck forums such as Turbo Diesel Register (a Dodge/Cummins forum). Members there state that it's common practice in many agricultural states where off-road diesel is readily available.

Rusty
Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #26

I was just looking for an actual location, just one location, where you know firsthand that this practice is occurring, as oppressed to something being repeated and repeated on internet boards, more of the nature of 'urban legend' than real. Certainly, as an engineer, you can appreciate the validation of facts.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'm not a farmer nor am I a commercial truck driver, so I don't have firsthand knowledge as I don't frequent farm auctions or weigh stations. You might enquire of Elkhartjim for a specific location as he has posted in this thread, IIRC, that he has seen this at livestock auctions.

Rusty
Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #28

Ok, I see where you are coming from now.
I have lived in ag communities my entire life. I have owned and operated everything from diesel powered lawn mowers to tractors, utility vehicles to Class 8 trucks. I have purchased my fair share of 'red' diesel, and have paid at least my fair share of taxes. I can look out my window to see a small herd of cattle right now. I have attended an auction or two.... I have never experienced, seen, or heard of the type of tailpipe inspection you, yes you,
have stated is occurring. :
Originally Posted by RustyJC
I look for factual information, not misinformation from a respectable forum like this. I just asked for a factual response so that could be enlightened.

Tags
diesel