Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
In my area (Texas) the distributor adds the dye so he tells me. He cannot get "high sulfur" diesel since its no longer refined in the US. Canada must still be refining high sulfur.
Actually, U.S. refiners still produce about half a million barrels a day of non-highway distillates. Some is used for heating oil, the rest for non-highway diesel uses, including railroad, marine, agriculture, power generation, etc. It will all be gone by 2014, though (except for heating oil, which is separately regulated at the state level). See
Locomotive, marine and non-road diesel fuel standards begin at later dates. - Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance if you're interested.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
A number of posters on the Turbo Diesel Register have reported the use of this new technology. You can believe it or not; I honestly could not care less.

If you believe I've maliciously or intentionally lied with what I've posted, feel free to report me and my posts to the Administrators of this board.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #31

A huge case of someone messing with fuel taxes.

Quote:
From 2006 to 2008, Evan Knoll filed claims for gas tax refunds that totaled almost $68 million.
Evan Knoll faces several new charges in federal tax-fraud case | MLive.com
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #32

Rusty, I was just asking for facts, sorry if that offended you.
When I was a boy, I didn't "run home to mama", and there is no need for me to contact anyone now. I think the creditability of your posts speak for themselves.
My concern is
other diesel additives that may have red dye in them being confused for the red dyed diesel, and someone, including me, being unnecessarily hassled from a questionable search procedure.
I am sorry that you do not share that same concern for your fellow RV'er. Have a nice day
Old 01-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #33

Any fuel additive that had dye in it would be so diluted in a full tank of diesel fuel that it would not even be detectable.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Any fuel additive that had dye in it would be so diluted in a full tank of diesel fuel that it would not even be detectable.
According to the ASTM,
26 CFR 48.4082-1(b), which mandates that all tax-exempt diesel fuels be dyed with an amount of Solvent Red 164 at a concentration that is spectrally equivalent to 3.9 lb/103 bbl (11.1 mg/L) of Solvent Red 26.

The fuel dye has been designed to be easily detectable. It is visibly detectable even at dilutions of 1:50 or 1:100. Use of optical analytical equipment can detect dilutions of 1:5000

While the dye does not damage or stain components of the engine, it's ability to be detected in trace amounts mean that, in suspected cases, forensic examination of engine parts (e.g. fuel filter or fuel pump) to extract samples of fuel may be worthwhile, even if tainted fuel is not detected in the main tank.

At 8 pints to a gallon, one pint of red dyed additive added to a 100 gallon fuel tank would yield a 1:800 ratio, well within detectable standards.

Solvent Red 164 is used to dye petroleum based products ranging from ATF to some fuel additives. Now add a "false positive", misread device, or some other anomaly to a 'tailpipe' test.... Hence my concern.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #35

Made you look

That's interesting. I thought there would be more red dye.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdbus View Post
Rusty, I was just asking for facts, sorry if that offended you.
When I was a boy, I didn't "run home to mama", and there is no need for me to contact anyone now. I think the creditability of your posts speak for themselves.
My concern is
other diesel additives that may have red dye in them being confused for the red dyed diesel, and someone, including me, being unnecessarily hassled from a questionable search procedure.
I am sorry that you do not share that same concern for your fellow RV'er. Have a nice day

Somebody didn't sleep well last night
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdbus View Post
I was just looking for an actual location, just one location, where you know firsthand that this practice is occurring, as oppressed to something being repeated and repeated on internet boards, more of the nature of 'urban legend' than real. Certainly, as an engineer, you can appreciate the validation of facts.
I'm sorry I can't give you an exact time and date but the best I can recall it was hot so that means it was sometime between late April to late October and somewhere around 12-2 pm. The location was the Houston County Livestock Auction located on Hwy21W in Crockett, Tx. Thats 'bout all I have to say I guess. You may want to call them and see if someone can validate my story.
Houston County Livestock Auctn, Crockett, TX : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local
Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #38

Do not know if it is actually occurring yet but it looks like it is on the way. Development of a simple field test for vehicle exhau... [Talanta. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
Old 01-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
wa8yxm I think you have that backwards. On-road diesel is not dyed, off-road diesel is tainted with red dye. The amount of on-road diesel sold would make adding dye more expensive for the distributor vs off-road quantity sold.

The journalofaccountancy.com explains everything.

That is quite possible.. I know one is dyed one is not, Was not sure which.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My on-road diesel fuel tanks all have a locking cap. Probable cause is the only way an enforcement officer can legally make me remove the cap. When they do have/show cause, I'll remove the cap so they can find clear diesel fuel. I'm not much of a gambler.
There is supposedly another method to discover the burning of dyed diesel fuel. Something about swiping the tail-pipe residue.I've never read a first-person account of that though.
Enjoy your night in jail, and watch as you vehicle is being impounded with a big expensive wrecker Suggest you might want to re-think your locking out the Dye police procedures.
DennyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I wonder if the dye could be filtered out????
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #42

Have a sneaking suspicion the dye could be removed chemically - - - But the cost probably would be more than the taxes you didn't pay - - - and just a little bit will cost $10 grand in federal fines - - - handled by the IRS no less for the feds and I don't think the state inspectors have much of a sense of humor either.

DennyD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel