Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2018, 05:22 PM   #1

offers

I'd like to get some idea of how to bargain with dealers on used RV's.
On the average, what % can you expect them to drop price.?
Old New Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On used RV's there is no average. You get what they feel they can get and that depends on how much they have invested in the rig itself. You are free to offer less than asking, they are free to refuse. What it actually sells for is when you and they make a deal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On a used RV you have to do your homework. Do nationwide searches on RVT.com and RVTrader.com and rank order them by price with the lowest first. You can print the ads for comparable coaches and use them as leverage to get your dealer to lower his price.

You can also subscribe to the wholesale NADA RV price guide for a month and print it out. The free online price guide is so inflated it's not worth using.

Most of the time an airline ticket is cheap compared to the price some of the dealers are asking. I found a $100k difference from a dealer just north of here compared to dealers in TX and FL on the exact same make model coach.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:16 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Research, research and research some more. If possible when you make your decision on what coach you want then play one dealer against another. It is all about bargaining.

Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:23 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
The price is what you and the seller can agree on. Value is the best thing to look for. A well maintained, garaged RV may be worth considerable more than a well used, put up wet unit.

Quality is like buying oats. If you want clean oats you must pay a fair price. If you can accept oats that have gone through a horse, that comes cheaper.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
PPL had the prices of sold RVs.
So much depends on condition and records, how long on market and how close to reasonable the asking is. Would think 10% would be minimum.

LEN
Old 01-31-2018, 06:59 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We purchased our Class A from PPL in Texas. It was already $10,000. cheaper than in MI and the miles were considerably less. 43,000 miles in MI and 18,642 in Texas.

I offered $5,000. below asking and they took it. We flew down and picked it up.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:13 AM   #8

i've gotten the urge to move up from a c to an A
so i first went back to original dealer.
found a possible A and asked about trading.
their valuation of my C was 28% off of what i paid last may.
i got the c for 33% off of list.

i've called 2 other dealers that haven't seen it and visited a dealer that did inspect it.
these additional 3 dealers are all offering within a 3000 range of my selling dealer.. i don't know where they are getting their numbers.

but, their numbers are about 23% to 28% less than cheap comparables of used units. and keeping in mind that this was on a trade.

i've concluded that they are looking for the same markup on used that they have on new, which i think may be in the 35% range.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
i've gotten the urge to move up from a c to an A
so i first went back to original dealer.
found a possible A and asked about trading.
their valuation of my C was 28% off of what i paid last may.
i got the c for 33% off of list.

i've called 2 other dealers that haven't seen it and visited a dealer that did inspect it.
these additional 3 dealers are all offering within a 3000 range of my selling dealer.. i don't know where they are getting their numbers.

but, their numbers are about 23% to 28% less than cheap comparables of used units. and keeping in mind that this was on a trade.

i've concluded that they are looking for the same markup on used that they have on new, which i think may be in the 35% range.
If you have the time, it is always better to sell your rv yourself and pocket the extra toward your next purchase. Dealers have to make money on every unit or they cannot stay in business. I do the same with cars and trucks....sell them myself where I can wait to find the right buyer.

I am not getting RV dealers or sellers to move very far from their asking prices right now. I have looked at and offered on several Class A coaches in the past few weeks but I can't seem to get them to move more than $1000 or so. I am looking at some older coaches that I can pay cash for so I am sure that factors into the equation too. If I was looking at $100K and up coaches I would guess there is more room to negotiate.
PPCPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer