Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #29

Wink Hi Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
Remember that you have a 21 year old motorhome. That is old. Your tire may have blown from overloading or old age. They should be replaced regardless of tread by 10 years or less. Check the age of the other tires and replace as needed to avoid any further problems. The rust in the refrigerator vent is common. It needs to have the rust brushed out completely and the burner cleaned. Then hopefully the refrigerator will be fine. All seals on the roof and around the windows and doors need to be checked and new caulking installed as necessary. These are maintenance items and there will be a lot with a motorhome that is this old. You might also consider changing the brake fluid, doing a tuneup and oil change on the generator and changing the tranny fluid. Also check the belts and hoses and flush the radiator. Replace the fuel filters and air filter too. This can be a nice motorhome that will last for many more years but it just needs some maintenance.
Lots of sound advice here Doug. You should go and read my other thread about the rebuild I'm doing on this vehicle. You will see that I'm doing lots of reqpirs and preventive mainenance.

Rebuilding 1992 TourMaster

The tires were only about 4 years old and they had beem checked prior to my trip! I do regular maitenance on the RV motor and gen set...oïl, filters, fluids, belts, ect...I leave nothing I think may go wrong to chance. I recently re did the roof and checked for any spots that may leak on RV...but missed one problem I created after reinstalling the main awning. This is a pusher diesel with air brakes. The brakes are adjusted every summer as required. Probably why I was able to stop so welll when the tire blew!

I am a firm believer that it is better putting out money to fix the RV when your home than being found with a dead machine on the side of the road somewhere.

I intend to leave the RV to the kids when I no longer want to use it. Not something most people want to invest in and you loose way to much money when you sell them.

Happy traveling.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #30

Thumbs down Here's a killer!

Here is something to Knock your socks off! Remember that small oïl leak that turned into a major repair....well the mechanics were cleaning all the parts and getting ready to rebuild with the new gaskets and guess what.....while cleaning the oil pan they found the small plastic oil cooling jets broken off and laying in the bottom of it! Now these little devils only cost about 20$ for all of them in the engine but.....the engine has to be removed from the vehicle to fix it! Oh well....another 2 thousand or so...what the hell it has to be done. I removed the rear bumper for easy access...now I'll have to do some paint repair too!!!

In actual fact if I had neglected the oil leak I probably would have blown the engine some short time down the road. These cooling jets shower the pistons with oïl to cool them. Probably the only thing that prevented me from blowing the motor was the Amsoil 100% synthetic oïl I use!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #31
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfunhunter View Post
Here is something to Knock your socks off! Remember that small oïl leak that turned into a major repair....well the mechanics were cleaning all the parts and getting ready to rebuild with the new gaskets and guess what.....while cleaning the oil pan they found the small plastic oil cooling jets broken off and laying in the bottom of it! Now these little devils only cost about 20$ for all of them in the engine but.....the engine has to be removed from the vehicle to fix it! Oh well....another 2 thousand or so...what the hell it has to be done. I removed the rear bumper for easy access...now I'll have to do some paint repair too!!!

In actual fact if I had neglected the oil leak I probably would have blown the engine some short time down the road. These cooling jets shower the pistons with oïl to cool them. Probably the only thing that prevented me from blowing the motor was the Amsoil 100% synthetic oïl I use!
Man, I feel for ya.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #32

Wink Motor Almost Ready to Install

Went to check things out today and the motor will be going back in tomorrow. The transmision was laying on the floor close...looked pretty sad to see the guts of the machine laying all over the place! Picked up some paint for the engine and discussed the repairs with my Buddy doing the job. He will be doing a few mods to increase the HP. The engine isn't big on my rig so every bit will help.
I should bring it home Monday and then complete installing the rear bumper and tidy up.
Hopefully another trip in 2 weeks. Something short to see how things are going.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #33

rvfunhunter, I wish I had your patience and cool headitness!