Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #43
An oil analysis is the only way to do anything other than guess. But FWIW I don't think I've ever seen anyone publish an analysis that showed the oil needed to be changed more frequently than the manufacturer recommends (for engines that are otherwise healthy), in fact most show the oil is still good to go at that point.

smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #44
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by ldean33 View Post
Having problem getting oil filter off my Holiday Rambler any advice.
My faves are these pliers first:
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
Those work well if you can't get easily to the end of the filter to use

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
Although that one may not be lage enough.

A 24 inch strap wrench always works.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #45
Google Titan Laboratories Oil Analysis. Good company with a large data base of information on engines. Their computer matches your engine and type of usage with other vehicles sampled to produce recommendations. They supply a very detailed analysis. I liked their return postage package. Pull the sample and drop in a mail box. No hassel in getting it to the lab.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #46
Wonder how many of us routinely send in samples?
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone heard of Speedco. They changed out my fuel and air filter for less than I could find the filters for, guy handed me safety glasses and a hat and said come on under and have a look, showed me everything I should lube, things to check, like rear vent, bleeders on brakes, and the brakes themselves. Next trip I'll stop and let them change my oil and lube the chassey, said I could watch if I want to. Very nice people and appreciated my buiseness! They drained a tiny bit of oil into a cup looked at it and said it was recently changed which made me happy because we had just purchased the rig from camping world who said they just changed the oil a couple thousand miles ago. The Speedco we went to was just off I81 when you enter Tenn. maybe still Virginia, Highly recomend them!
John and Vicki,2004 Winne Vectra 350 Cummins, 10k lb Blu Ox tow bar , 04 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd toad
cmpncrsaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #48
[QUOTE=RinkersRanch;975663]Moisture getting into an engine can only be controlled if the vehicle is kept in a climate controlled garage. Heat and A/C will keep the humidity to a minimum and therefore out of the engine. Next best is garage kept without heat or A/C. Keeping the vehicle outside or even under a shelter with open sides will allow moisture to enter any component on the vehicle that is not sealed. When you see the dew on the outside the same thing is happening inside each vented component. Running a vehicle daily will remove most of the moisture as long as the oil temperature gets above the boiling point (212F). A 175F coolant temperature will ensure the engine oil temperature is high enough to 'cook out' the moisture. Usually about 30 min. running above 175F will do the trick on an engine run on a M - F basis. An engine that sits will accumulate much more moisture than an engine run frequently.

Moisture is bad because it causes rust and these particles can get into the oil and really do a number on engine components. I know we run filters for that. BUT, . . for the first few seconds or minutes depending on how cold the engine oil is, the filter bypass valve allows unfiltered oil past the filter and through the engine. ALSO, . . AND of greater concern, is the moisture combines with the blow-by gases (which contain sulfur products) to form Sulfuric acid. Now that we are using Extra low sulfur fuel this acid formation is reduced but it will still occur. The alkalinity of the engine oil takes care of this acid formation, but the (TBN), alkalinity, is much more quickly used up when an engine sits vs. an engine used daily.

All of this is to say that the once a year engine oil change is highly recommended. Oil analysis watching the TBN # will also be a good guide.

It was stated here that off road equipment oil change interval is 250 hrs., and 250hrs @ 60MPH = 15,000 miles. Now this is all true, but, . . . those of you that have trip computers on your coaches, check your average speed. I do not think it will be anywhere near 60 MPH average. My trip computer stays consistently around 30 to 35 mph average, which puts the oil change interval closer to 7,000 miles. Which, by the way, is the mileage interval that I use, or annually. QUOTE]

I would also add that if you are storing the home over the winter months, that it would make sense to change the oil before storage so that all the impurities are out of the engine. Correct?
The Collins Family
Travis, Kim, Richard, Rebecca
2 Yorkies(Sophie and Annie)
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #49
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Grandpa Dorrough always said, "Oil is cheaper than machinery." Thinking it over, I can better afford annual oil change than I can a new CAT C7. For the time being, or until my rich uncle gets out of the poor house, I'll stick with Freightliner's recommendation of annual oil changes or 15,000 miles which ever comes first.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote