Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Oil Changes

I changed the oils in the mh today when I got home from work.

Holy cow!! Not like the last oil change I did years ago on a car or truck I owned at the time. On the mh engine it was easy enough getting the plug and filter off. I used the jacks to get it level and high enough, then put some jack stands under for safety sake. Easy peasy! Pouring the fresh oil in though, jeez! what a pain. I had to crawl up into the engine compartment from underneath, between the engine and nose cone. 5 quart jug was to big to manuever, so it had to be poured into a measuring cup 1.5 quarts at a time to pour into the funnel without makeing a mess below. GOT IT DONE THOUGH!

Then came the generator oil change. I seem to remember someone mentioning somewhere here on the forum, that Onan's had to be fed pretty slowly when adding oil after draining. Yep! no doubt about it, you gotta add the oil slowly. Lot's of,"Oh Oh, it's spilling", from the wife, who, bless her heart stood by me the whole time, just for moral support. Thanks! Love you baby! Finally after adding oil, 2 ounces at a time, the genny was full.

You know what though. I gotta say in retrospect, I loved every minute of doing it. For you real men amongst men, you understand. There's just someting satisfying about doing your own oil change. Easy guy's, it's not a shot at any man that pays someone else to do his oil change, for whatever reason. I'd have probably done the same, time permitting. We don't live that close to town. I chose to do this one myself. Time and money saved. Glad I did!

Side note. Pulled the air filter for the ac too. Holy freaking cow! I might have well had a piece of cardboard in place. That's how clogged that thing was. Must have never been changed.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I understand fully, I have always changed my oil. I guess I am lucky because I have always fixed every thing on my cars and MH. Sometimes it is a lot of work .

Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should never depend on the hydraulic levelers to hold the coach up while you are under it working. When under it fix it in place with a suitably rated jack stand.

Ken
Old 06-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You should never depend on the hydraulic levelers to hold the coach up while you are under it working. When under it fix it in place with a suitably rated jack stand.

Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
.... I used the jacks to get it level and high enough, then put some jack stands under for safety sake. ....
He done good.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not the handiest guy in the world but I have always changed my own oil. I can relate to what you are saying. It is a very gratifying experience. It just "feels right". I like when you said that your wife was by your side for moral support. You hit the nail on the head. I always feel better when my better half is along side of me as I fumble along pretending to be in control!
Great info on changing the generators oil. I have yet to do it on my 2 week old Winnibago so you have given me some insight as to what to expect.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #6

I am lucky the end of my concrete slab slopes, I can back to the edge and sit up under it without raising. My only problem is getting rid of 34 quarts of oil.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
I agree. Did you not see the part of my op that I mentioned putting jack stands under it after using the jacks to raise it.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Pouring the fresh oil in though, jeez! what a pain. I had to crawl up into the engine compartment from underneath, between the engine and nose cone.
Out of curiosity, what chassis and what year/model of NRV? I had a 2002 Dolphin LX on the Workhorse chassis and don't recall that much difficulty in filling with oil. Had to use quart bottles or a suitable long funnel for the gallon jugs, though.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Out of curiosity, what chassis and what year/model of NRV? I had a 2002 Dolphin LX on the Workhorse chassis and don't recall that much difficulty in filling with oil. Had to use quart bottles or a suitable long funnel for the gallon jugs, though.
Gary, it's a 2005, Dolphin 5320 on the Workhorse Chassis with the 8.1 Chevy V8. If I'd been using quart bottles it would have been easier. I had the 5 quart jugs though. I think the biggest thing that got in the way, was the engine compartment cover. It scissors down in front and sticks out from the grill about a foot, making the fill spout that much further away. Not a big deal. I'll probably stick with the 5 quart jug in the future, but I'll funnel it into 1 quart bottles for convenience.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:30 AM   #10

i did mine the other day too for the first time .. i also learned dont buy the 5 qt
jug. it was very difficult to refill with that jug due to the fill tube being so high under
the hood.. next time ill buy 7 individual qts
the other prob i had was it seemed as maybe a gorilla put on the oil filter
i could not get it off with out driving a screw driver through it to loosen it
i too like to do my own work for two reasons , self satisfaction and knowing
it was done right .
Old 06-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe you could use one of these Wolfpack Fan Multi-Use Transfer Pump

Seems it would save a lot of time......
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I love it! Thanks. I can see a new post for the "what's the last thing you bought for your RV" thread when I do the next oil change. Of course you'll get the credit for :-)