Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
The only advantage for synthetics is in very low temperature operation, i.e. 20 degrees or colder. Otherwise there is no difference in engine protection. There may be a mileage improvement but it is going to be too slight to measure. It is highly profitable for the companies that produce it.

All of today's oils are good for a minimum of 7500 miles between changes and most will easily take you 10,000 miles. You can change more often but it will not benefit the engine or the environment and the oil companies are already making ridiculous profits as they have for the past 50 years.
\
I disagree. Synthetics have a substantial advantage in terms of thermal breakdown. On a turbo motor, where my EGTs can go over 1200 degrees and I'm pushing 60psi of motor oil through the center section, I can tell you that an oil an oil which doesn't coke is a substantial advantage.

Here's where you and I agree: On conventional motors with conventional conditions, I'm not sure that synthetic is giving you any additional benefits. You change the oil not because it's worn out (viscosity and thermal breakdown) but because it's dirty due to by-products of combustion. The "dirty" aspect happens to both conventional and synthetic oils.

I don't dispute that you might be able to run Amsoil for 15k+, but I'll stick with conventional motor oils and normal change intervals. In my turbo vehicles, we do something different as those oils get abused more....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #30

Does anyone use conventional motor oils? I have never used synthetics in any vehicle that I have owned and all of my engines lasted at least 200,000 miles. I know that there are merits to using synthetic oils but with the improved technology in today's conventional motor oils, engines will last a lot longer than they did in the 60's and 70's. My understanding is that synthetic oils allow for extended drain periods so I am not sure if it would be economical to use synthetic oils unless the engine will accumulate over 7000 miles in a year. I change oil every 3000 miles because of the weakest link, the oil filter. I guess I must be paranoid. I just can't trust any oil, synthetic or conventional to perform well at 15,000 miles.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #31

Patrol65, seems to be the only one that knows what he is talking about and not trying to sell something. Good job.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #32
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol 65 View Post
Does anyone use conventional motor oils? I have never used synthetics in any vehicle that I have owned and all of my engines lasted at least 200,000 miles. I know that there are merits to using synthetic oils but with the improved technology in today's conventional motor oils, engines will last a lot longer than they did in the 60's and 70's. My understanding is that synthetic oils allow for extended drain periods so I am not sure if it would be economical to use synthetic oils unless the engine will accumulate over 7000 miles in a year. I change oil every 3000 miles because of the weakest link, the oil filter. I guess I must be paranoid. I just can't trust any oil, synthetic or conventional to perform well at 15,000 miles.

Exactly. I've also used a "good" quality dino oil in all gas engines that I've owned as the recommended oem change schedule is usually much less than what synthetic oil supposedly will last. Whether synthetic engine oil last longer or not is a moot point with me regardless of their claims as I don't believe the expense is worth it and if it ain't broke yet, I don't intend to try and fix it.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #33

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Damon Outlaw.... geeez enough is enough... I love amsoil and use it exclsivley... but your constant sales pitch is getting old...
Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #34

Sales pitch? I'm just answering questions and comments addressed to me.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #35

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Happy with the Mobil-1 5w/30 FS oil, and insofar as our coach has been out of warranty for 9 years I change oil & filter between 5 & 7k miles.

If the Amsoil product was conveniently available at auto parts stores, Walmarts, K-marts etc and comparably priced, I might consider trying some, however until then will keep using the Mobil-1

Happy & safe travels to all...
I have to agree i have used Mobil 1 for years and i think with today's standards all oils are pretty much equal .

I have always said that if it were available in Walmart and such places i might try it but until then i will stick to Mobil i am not willing to got through the hassle to obtain Amsoil and i highly doubt i am missing out on anything.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Outlaw View Post
Since Amsoil was already brought up,
"Sales pitch? I'm just answering questions and comments addressed to me."

It was only brought up because it was hoped you wouldn't show up with
your constant sales pitch. But you posted even though it was hoped you
would stay away.
Do you really not understand that you have driven away any possible customers?
I for one will no longer participate on any thread that has your constant
annoying posts.
You win, you have driven me away.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #37

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Mobil 1 and Royal Purple is sounding better and better.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #38

Patrol....well said!
I have never had any V-8(gas or diesel), v-6, inline 4 or straight 6(diesel) have a failure due to dino oil that i use in my own vehicles
20+ yrs at dealership repair and we had several customers who went 300k+ that always used dino oil...and thousands with 100k+ using same oil, which we had done all their oil changes for the life of their vehicles
Old 05-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol 65 View Post
Does anyone use conventional motor oils?
I use Motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic blend as recommended by Ford. Does that count as conventional? I only put 4,000 to 5,000 per year on Wanda, so I change it once a year. I may start using Mobil I oil filters though. One of the 4WD mags tore about 20 different filters down and did a report. The Mobil 1 and NAPA Gold were on top of the heap as far as construction and filter media area, if I recall. Not real cheap though.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I use Motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic blend as recommended by Ford. Does that count as conventional? I only put 4,000 to 5,000 per year on Wanda, so I change it once a year. I may start using Mobil I oil filters though. One of the 4WD mags tore about 20 different filters down and did a report. The Mobil 1 and NAPA Gold were on top of the heap as far as construction and filter media area, if I recall. Not real cheap though.

Does Ford recommend a different weight oil for conventional or synthetic?
The reason I asked is starting in 2001, the Ford F-53 owners manual says
to use 5w20 oil.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../01motog1e.pdf

Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #41
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't mind any opinins on this forum...and I take them all with with a reality check - blessings to Google and Yahoo search!

But what I hate is that when I do a search for threads with content about my Make/Model, the results seem to follow in the wake of hate and discontent :(

Maybe consider an ID change?
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:03 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I don't mind any opinins on this forum...and I take them all with with a reality check - blessings to Google and Yahoo search!

But what I hate is that when I do a search for threads with content about my Make/Model, the results seem to follow in the wake of hate and discontent :(

Maybe consider an ID change?

Good one, it took me a minute to figure out the connection between
"wake of hate and discontent" and your RV make/model.
Yes, I can see how it would be discouraging...