Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi Bob! Congrats on the new rig! Did she come with snow skis?
Thank you. No skis - but, I may, wish I had them - snowing again as I write.
bmattei is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
I doubt very few experienced rv'ers would be comfortable with 11 year old tires. Be glad you only have two and replace them for safety and piece of mind. Even with road side service, a flat tire (or blowout) is, at minimum, a great inconvenience. Also make sure they are installed so you can easily check and adjust the pressure.
Thanks. Looks like I'll be giving the seller some business - RV is still at his shop so I can have him put two new tires on.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattei View Post
I was going to bring two 25 ft fresh water hoses. Do I need the 100?

What's in your tool chest? What are the must haves?

Spare wiper blades good tip don't know if I would have though of that.
No, you do not need a 100 ft. drinking water hose.

Surge protector
3 step ladder
Electrical multi-meter and learn how to use it
Assortment of fuses
Rhino sewer hose kit with a clear "elbow"
Good tire gauge
Carry extra oil and distilled water (for batteries)
Basic hand tools are fine. Hammer, screwdrivers, assortment of pliers, channel locks, crescent wrenches, socket set. I also carry a rechargeable drill with bits and fittings.
WD40 and duct tape
Rags
Keep reading IRV2 for a lot of helpful information

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
No, you do not need a 100 ft. drinking water hose.

Surge protector
3 step ladder
Electrical multi-meter and learn how to use it
Assortment of fuses
Rhino sewer hose kit with a clear "elbow"
Good tire gauge
Carry extra oil and distilled water (for batteries)
Basic hand tools are fine. Hammer, screwdrivers, assortment of pliers, channel locks, crescent wrenches, socket set. I also carry a rechargeable drill with bits and fittings.
WD40 and duct tape
Rags
Keep reading IRV2 for a lot of helpful information

Don
Don - Thanks Great list - I would have misses a few of those.
Bob
Old 02-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #33

I got a nice tool kit in a case from Costco that has most of what you need for small repairs. Add a rechargeable drill, special sockets, a lug wrench. Carry a set of overalls or old clothes for when you need to do dirty work.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #34

Number one on our list.

Be open to the thrill and pleasures that each day might provide. When we motorcycled a lot (200K miles), we always said the "adventure begins when the plan falls apart". But with the already mentioned, credit card, road side assistance, basic tools, two new rear tires, and a great attitude, you will get to climb the learning curve and enjoy each day.

Your first days of course will be escape the cold and what we always call the long weekend, or short week vacation areas. We do big miles getting away from home, for a day or two. Then in the new areas, we slow down and do the 3/3/3 routine. We also find that a week somewhere changes us from being just a passing tourist. Slow down, look around, stop planning, and open yourselves up to discovery and joys of having your RV.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
"Must Have" is a list that only you can make.

Take the obvious stuff, fine tune the list as you go on.

Camp- make sure your Spouse enjoys the adventure- pay attention to other campers-and how they camp.
Simpler the better-meals-equipment-
Get your set up experience down to as quick a time as possible

then--sit down with a glass of wine- and enjoy watching all the crazy people around you

above all--Use your Camper--
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Bob - when you change your tires, just have them throw one of the old tires in the basement. It will sit there for 5 years, one day you'll get sick of moving it around and you'll take it out.

I haven't been anywhere that I need 100' of hose. It will take up too much room in the basement that you can use for wine. Don't forget that most campgrounds have some kind of store. They charge outrageous prices, but when your stinky slinky breaks, you don't care.

The tool box contents depend on how much you will be doing yourself. If you want to fix things that break along the way, then take everything in your home tool box and a bucket of nuts, bolts, screws and washers. If you're calling roadside assistance for emergencies or scheduling a trip to your friend's shop to fix things, then all you really need is a screwdriver set, some pliers, a crescent wrench and some duct tape. Some spare light bulbs maybe.

Speaking of roadside assistance, there's Good Sam, CoachNet and FMCA. If you join FMCA, they also have a Michellin tire discount program, which brings Michellins down to only slightly overpriced.

Jerry
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #37

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
In defence of suggesting A 100' hose. I use mine at least twice a year. It depends on where you RV. When I stay at some friends houses,a 100' extension cord and a 100' hose puts me in a more comfortable situation. At RV parks a 25' hose will usually be fine.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome aboard and happy trails to you. Two 25 foot water hoses has always been enough for me, even when camped in kids yards. I do recommend the rv hose from Walmart. cost more, but the quality and fittings are more than worth it.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
I doubt very few experienced rv'ers would be comfortable with 11 year old tires. Be glad you only have two and replace them for safety and piece of mind. Even with road side service, a flat tire (or blowout) is, at minimum, a great inconvenience. Also make sure they are installed so you can easily check and adjust the pressure.

I agree. Buy two new for steer axle, from front to duals.
canman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #40

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman001 View Post
I agree. Buy two new for steer axle, from front to duals.
Yes getting two new tires on front. Will put the tires currently on the front on the back axle - removing older interior tires from back axle.

Thanks - bob
Old 02-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattei View Post
I was going to bring two 25 ft fresh water hoses. Do I need the 100?

What's in your tool chest? What are the must haves?

Spare wiper blades good tip don't know if I would have though of that.
We hauled a 75 ft hose around for a year and never used it. You don't have to carry everything you "might need". Wmart has one of everything if and when you need it, including most rv specific items.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #42

Since you're in cold temps, carry a few jugs of water to use for coffee, washing up and toilet flushing until you get out of the cold weather. Then you can fill your water tank and use it.

While in cold temps, don't leave your sewer hose outside. It will break. Just pull it out when you need it and put it back in storage. However, you'll probably be out of the cold in two days so you probably won't even have to use it.

Have a good trip! You'll catch on......
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote