Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I bought my current MH I took a relatively short trip of just over 100 miles each way. The main reason was just to check out the overall driving of the unit under realistic highway conditions and to see that all systems worked as they should. I went to an area where I have friends and one is a retired rv guy so I knew if I had problems good help was nearby. No problems noted on this run so about a month later I headed to South Florida. Still enjoying the MH but fuel prices really suck.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
L.a to n.o.

My first trip was from Los Angeles, Ca to New Orleans, La. Bought a ten year old Trans-Van, remodeled the interior, put on new tires and hit the road. Not a problem until we hit N'aulins, muffler fell off. Once the pipe and muff cooled off just lifted it up and put on a new clamp and all was well. Mardi Gras was great that year!
J
GOLDWINGER2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We took our first trip about a 100 miles and tried everything for two days. I will do the same way every year if the MH sits for to long. Just sitting can effect things, always like to get a good test in to build up the confidence.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Our first trip was to CA............down BUMPY I-5 and then back via hwy 1 and 101. Wonderful trip!!! We are hooked.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:28 PM   #33

5 days after I bought it I did a solo trip from Oklahoma city to central Illinois to host and cater an 80th birthday party for my mother. Then I turned around and brought her back to Okc for vacation at the lake for two weeks. Then turned around and took her back to Illinois. She has since passed on. It was the only way she could travel. and she loved that trip! So I guess mine was baptism by fire.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #34

Our first 2 trips were to Camp Verde, AZ and Silver City, NM.
Each round trip was about 400 miles, then we took our 4000 mile summer trip.
Sink or swim......

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #35

I had to cancel my first trip due to extreme weather more than once. I finally got out the gate for a single night at a local campground about 6 or 7 weeks later.

Whatever you decide will work so just make some plans and hit the road. There are advantages to staying locally but a roadtrip can be fun too. Personally I opted for the not-as-far route for my first trip. Originally it included a trip to the beach but 65 mph winds cut that part out.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Talking first trip this weekend to silverwood lake,ca

well we took our first trip in our rv this past weekend. some things went well, some not so good. we bought the rv on march 24 so we didn't have a whole lot of time to test things out. the day after we bought it, it rained and we found quite a few leaks. thank goodness I was in the rv so I could grab lots of towels and get my hubby up on the roof with a tarp real quick. the next day he sealed the areas with some roof stuff and it worked. it rained on sat.night while camping and no leaks at all. when we got to the campsite, hubby ran right into water spigot and put a hole and a crack in the bumper, so that set him off for a good half an hour. He had one of the kids guiding him and he had the radio up loud, don't know what he was thinking!!!! everything worked really well in the rv and we learned alot as we went along. the only thing I couldn't figure out was the furnace, but we had plenty of blankets, so we were okay. we stayed in a place with full hookups which was nice as we have never camped like that. kids loved playing their video games and watching movies, without dad worrying about the electricity. the fridge stayed real cold, so cold that my eggs froze. we also learned that unlimited water does not mean unlimited hot water! the campground itself was beautiful and clean. it has a lake that is quite a hike to get to, no views from the campground, we took our quads and you have to haul them to a launching area to ride. you can't even have them off the trailer at your campsite without the rangers coming over and warning you not to ride. which was fine by me, as I don't like to listen to a bunch of quads and motorcycles revving up all morning, but all the guys in our party (we had 2 other groups with us)complained about not being able to ride from the campground. once I figure out the picture loading thing, I will post some pictures)
so far my hubby has broken the awning right off, hole in the bumper, several latches inside and outside, and broke two light fixtures on the outside. but I still don't regret getting the RV, or keeping him as long as I have.
beaudrya786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #37

Our first RV was our 1973 Fan LeeLiner 16 ft camper that we bought for 800.00. We pulled it with our Freestar minivan. Unsure how this might work we stayed close to home & went to Washington SP near De Soto, mo. All went well. Last fall we bought a 1985 fleetwood pace arrow 34 ft class a. This weekend we took it for our first time to Babler SP near Wildwood MO. All went well
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Our first trip with our first RV was from 30 miles east of Pensacola, FL to 30 miles south of Seattle, WA with every National Park in-between.
ShadowT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
First trip in the 5'er was about 2 hours away up a steep mountain road and then down a steep mountain driveway not really designed for RVs at all.

First trip in the MH was 2,500 miles. I like biting off more than I can chew.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That was in 1957 so I really don't remember!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote