Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennieH View Post
We keep a spray bottle and I hit the water hookup first. My wife is a nurse and she can tell you all about all of the campers who have ended with a myriad of things all fecal related at the hospital. You can get quite sick.
I do disagree with those who say that it's nothing to worry about.
A few to ponder : Typhoid and paratyphoid, Cholera, Bacillary dysentery, Anthrax, Bacteria diarrhoeas such as Yersinia, Campylobacter, E. coli,
Viral diarrhoeas such as rotavirus and adenovirus - just to name a few.
Better to be safe.
THANK YOU. Well said.

Ignorance may be bliss. And someone may not have the education or knowledge about the actual threat and therefore will smugly laugh at people who disinfect the fresh water and observe bacterial precautions. Sure, they may not have gotten sick YET, but as we age, we are even more susceptible to these things and are wise to spray a bleach solution and wear gloves, and not contaminate things with the gloves when we are in the middle of hooking up.

Well said.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #44

Small spray bottle with a mix of water and bleach. Velcro on the bottom, with the connecting part of the velcro stuck to the floor of our waste basement. First thing I do when getting ready to hook up, is grab the bottle, spray both the handle and the hose connection of the hose bib. Let it dry as I'm getting my hose out and hooked up to the coach, then turn on the spike for about 5-10 seconds, then attached the water hose. And finish the rest of our hooking up.

Like I'm sure all of you do too, I first dump the black, then dump the grey. If at a jumpstation with non potable water source, I'll unhook the slinky from the coach, and rinse with water from the dump source while the other end of the slinky is still in the hole. If not at a dump station, I just let it drain well, then disconnect and hook the hose ends together. The elbow is pulled out, and I then spray it with the same bleach water. Will sometimes just spray the area inside the coach by the drain at the same time, and just let them air dry. Finally, as I go out to the plumbing area for both hook up an unhooking, I take two of the sanitation towels that popup out of the bottle. I hang them on the bay door piston arms, as I'm doing my thing. Last thing I do, is grab the sanitation towels and wipe my hands off. Then close up the bay door.

My wife has me do the same thing when cooking with fresh fish, chicken or meat on the BBQ. She has a real concern about making sure I don't grab the front door handle, and walk in and touch all the stuff in the coach, with hands that could be easily contaminated.

All that being said, some bacteria is good for you, and exposer to bacteria as a young kid - supposedly makes your immune system tougher for the years ahead. No way we're not all exposed to 'stuff' all of the time. All we can do is take common sense precautions.

And yeah, I know too many people on the left side of that bell curve!!! Heck, some are in public office....

Best to all,
Smitty

Old 10-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Small spray bottle with a mix of water and bleach. Velcro on the bottom, with the connecting part of the velcro stuck to the floor of our waste basement. First thing I do when getting ready to hook up, is grab the bottle, spray both the handle and the hose connection of the hose bib. Let it dry as I'm getting my hose out and hooked up to the coach, then turn on the spike for about 5-10 seconds, then attached the water hose. And finish the rest of our hooking up.
I generally turn the spigot on for a few seconds and run my fingers over the threads and inside. I then hook up our hose and let the water run for about 5-10 seconds under the coach before hooking it up to the coach itself. I have always done this just to make certain there is no "debris" that can get in and plug up a pressure regulator or something before the filtration system.

I hadn't really thought about the sewer hose issue, but thanks for giving me something else to worry about.

Smitty, you mention having a bottle of bleach and water already to go that you keep in your service bay. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought a bleach/water mixture was only good for a short time, like hours. Then it looses its potency or effectiveness doesn't it? How often do you make up a bleach/water mixture?

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Wife says bleach water last's a few days. She mixes it when we change locations and it is a small spray bottle.
She & I both grew up on farms and we are no where near germaphobes. There is room for some caution and these days with all of the antibiotic resistant things showing up, why chance it.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
I just had a thought. What about those lysol wipes or dissenfectant wipes that you use on countertops and such. Do you think they would be good to pull one out and wipe the inside of the spigot, then the threads and lastly the handle before disposing it?

I would think those would last a while plus be quite handy to just keep in a place like the stepwell cover. Easy to access when getting out and commencing the arrival process.

Thoughts?

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #48

I like the bleach solution because it coats and you can spray it inside the spigot.