Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Sooooo Bill.....

What did you do?

How did it work out?

Maybe he didn't drain it and is out sitting by his rig somewhere waiting for help...

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
No way I would throw away old diesel fuel. It is not like gasoline, it is light oil. I used to ride submarines, we had fuel that was 20 plus years old that we used. It does not wear out, it can get contaminated, check for water and algae.
Additives, I only use biocide and 2 cycle motor oil. Biocide for algae, 2 cycle oil for lubricity.
Change the filters, check for water and slime, if it is good run it. I would top off the tank soon, if you have any contaminant in the fuel this would dilute it.

1997 Southwind 35P
2006 Jeep Liberty
73 de kb0ou
mohamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #17
To drain or not to drain? Did not drain.

Just picked it up yesterday 12/19 and drove it for 3.5 hours through the Rockies, Vail pass and 10mph switchbacks going over Hoosier pass 11,500ft.

But first down a steep snow covered drive (with chains) one up front for steering and one on opposite rear for traction (as a CDL driver suggested) with a sharp left turn and over a very narrow wooden bridge (see pic) to get to the highway towards Glenwood Springs. CO only to go over another narrow (ancient) 4 lane bridge where there is no room for error-mine or others.

Tell ya, there was plenty apprehension on this maiden voyage during the winter, on a vehicle I have not driven.

Now to the main question. . . after looking and purchasing, I returned with oil and filter(s). Changed the oil then went on to drain some fuel, looked clear and smelled right, changed the primary then found the secondary but wasn't confident I could get a good grip to do it property. I filled the primary before installing but I got air in the line. I would remove the filter, fill it up, purge the air from the line, it would start right up, run 30 seconds and die. The pull the filter it would be a 3rd down, fill it back up. Same thing, start and die. It's nearly 3pm on Sunday and I had to abandon the project.

Turns out the grandson of the owner was a diesel mechanic and got it going the next day. Not sure how he did it. His dad said perhaps by cranking and pumping the accelerator. Need to speak with him, as I do want to change the other filter. With weather conditions I wasn't able to return for 3 weeks.

So there you have it, it really purred all the way, I passed semi's on the mountain passes. The 6 speed Allison shifted as it should and allowed me to manually downshift when I felt necessary.

Perhaps the fuel being stored in an semi-arid climate allowed it to stay fairly stable. I did add additives before the trip, including anti-gel and " Moly diesel purge" that worked well in my '84 diesel Mercedes.

Now to start the updating and repair the roof-perhaps even a whole new membrane? Not sure what to do until I inspect it further.

Thanks to all for your input and Happy Holidays!

Wjsturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #18
Just an FYI, pumping the accelerator pedal does not do anything to help you start it. Your best bet is to give it just a little pedal when you start it. If you have a problem like you did after filter changes you can hold your foot to the floor and then try to start it.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing,upgraded turbo, 2006 Dutchmen 28' 5th wheel with a 12' slide out and 16' boat behind it all
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:02 PM   #19
Congrats on your new RV!!!

I hope you can run that old fuel out with no problems

Couple things after a fuel filter change. With an electric primary fuel pump, you have to cycle the start switch on off several times to fill the filter canister. For instance, with my Ford pick up, it's 6 times for 30 seconds each. For my elderly diesel tractor with only a mechanical fuel pump, you have to open a bleed screw on the pump and crank the engine for 10-20 seconds which of course drools smelly diesel fuel all over
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Wjsturm View Post
Hey Folks,

I joined in August when I started researching a mid-90's diesel pusher. Found one and purchased a 1995 Dutch Star with C8.3 and 33,000. Ya, a little scary this coach has not been driven much. The owner recently entered a nursing home and his son was selling it.

It started up just fine, but hasn't been driven in 4 years. I took my chances and purchased it but didn't take it out on the highway.

I'm going change oil, fuel filter(s), before taking it home 250 miles. It's been stored outside at 6000ft in Colorado. There's half a tank.

Question: Do you think I should drain the fuel? Or is there an additive you'd recommend?

What else should I do? Oh, the roof needs sealer. Any suggestions on that? I researched "Liquid Roof" appears it might do the job.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Our MH had been parked in a barn for 6 years when we purchased it. I had all filters changed upon purchase, and have never had a fuel problem.

I once purchased an old Case diesel tractor that I spotted in a fence-line. I had to saw trees away from it before it could be moved that were 4-6" in diameter. I put in a new battery, changed fuel filters, and it started without much trouble.
Diesel fuel is not like gasoline, it does not varnish-up because it is oily. The main issue is water in fuel. You might drain out a few G and test it for water by allowing it to sit overnight. All water will settle to the bottom if left undisturbed. Water is clear, diesel is light yellow but turns darker with age.
Biodiesel does stratify when left undisturbed for a long time, but will still burn in warm weather.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #21

Boat purchasers deal with the old diesel fuel issue all the time. If you live anywhere near a major marina there are mobile fuel polishing outfits. They take out the old and run it through filters and return it to the tanks like new.

Not sure if it is worth it for a motorhome vs. a boat that could have 100s of gallons on board. Might be worth checking on. You would know the tanks were clean before taking on more fuel.

2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, fuel