Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #1

Old diesel fuel, drain or not to drain?

Hey Folks,

I joined in August when I started researching a mid-90's diesel pusher. Found one and purchased a 1995 Dutch Star with C8.3 and 33,000. Ya, a little scary this coach has not been driven much. The owner recently entered a nursing home and his son was selling it.

It started up just fine, but hasn't been driven in 4 years. I took my chances and purchased it but didn't take it out on the highway.

I'm going change oil, fuel filter(s), before taking it home 250 miles. It's been stored outside at 6000ft in Colorado. There's half a tank.

Question: Do you think I should drain the fuel? Or is there an additive you'd recommend?

What else should I do? Oh, the roof needs sealer. Any suggestions on that? I researched "Liquid Roof" appears it might do the job.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjsturm View Post
Hey Folks,

I joined in August when I started researching a mid-90's diesel pusher. Found one and purchased a 1995 Dutch Star with C8.3 and 33,000. Ya, a little scary this coach has not been driven much. The owner recently entered a nursing home and his son was selling it.

It started up just fine, but hasn't been driven in 4 years. I took my chances and purchased it but didn't take it out on the highway.

I'm going change oil, fuel filter(s), before taking it home 250 miles. It's been stored outside at 6000ft in Colorado. There's half a tank.

Question: Do you think I should drain the fuel? Or is there an additive you'd recommend?

What else should I do? Oh, the roof needs sealer. Any suggestions on that? I researched "Liquid Roof" appears it might do the job.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Bill
IMO 4 year old fuel should be drained.
As for the roof see:
BTW I removed much of the old deteriorated caulk with one of these with a scraper blade attached:
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ool-62279.html
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 11-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #3

I had the same situation with a coach I bought. I pumped the fuel out into five 5-gallon containers (took two rounds) and gave it to a friend for burning brush.

My worry was a fuel-related failure in the middle of the road, a tow, and several thousand in repairs. I thought the cost of a small pump and new fuel to be cheap insurance. I ran the coach for a while with the new fuel before taking the scary first ride on the 15-year-old tires!

I used this on my roof recently with good results:
Liquid Roof RV Roof Coating & Repair 1 Gallon - Wall Surface Repair Products - Amazon.com
Old 11-15-2015, 10:32 AM   #4

Congrats on your new Baby.

To drain fuel or not... That's not an easy question. First. How many gallons is 1/2 tank? If it's 40 -50 gallons you have an instant disposal problem.

I'm sort of a "if it ain't broke...don't break it" school. Here I'd do some basic checks on fuel for water contamination before I got into messing with the fuel.

Probably the biggest problem is from condensation in the half full tank from heating and cooling. But at 6000' you have pretty low humidty. Before starting the engine and sucking any crap into the injection system....or stirring up the tank..

Is there a drain at the lowest point on the tank? If so, I'd pull off a small amount and see if it's contaminated with water or funky stuff.

If no low point drain...Can you pull a fuel sample from the bottom of the tank through the filler neck?

If it looks OK, check the water traps in the fuel system. Drain the water traps. If they are part of the fuel filter, change the filter.

The only additive I've used is PRI-D. Good for long term storage issues. They have a website.

Same with the oil. If its up to proper fill, I'd leave it alone. It probably has very little hours on it and oilmxoes not wear out. The filter will take care of any crud. Any moisture in the crankmcase will vaporize when the engine is hot and be removed by the PCV system.

Drive gently till you get it home..
Old 11-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Harbor Freight sells a fuel transfer pump with a filter attached. I think it was about $150.00. I pumped out of the bottom of the tank and back thru the filler neck when I picked up a bad load of fuel. This worked very well and only took about 4 hours of run time and 3 replacement filters.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
?????? How are the tires?

The engine runs and as said the filters will take care of the fuel.

If you only got 250 miles drive slow and do a total at home.

Get a pro to inspect the roof as it may only be dirty and a good clean and a recaulk may be all it needs.

I bought a 99 and all was good and have been living in it for 2 years and only a few small problems.

Don't make mountains out of mole hills even if it is an older unit.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bill! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! I would drain the fuel! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #8

Don't forget to check the age of the tires. If they are over about 6 years old, you want to consider replacing them (at least on the steering wheels) before driving that distance.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:51 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #10

I have a 2004 Country Coach that was not driven for 4 + years. It was even missing a fuel cap on one side. Before I drove it home I added conditioners to take care of the water - 2 days before moving it. I drove a few miles and checked the water traps on the fuel filters. While I did not see anything I drained a cup of fuel off each and drove another 60 miles home. After that I drove within 25 mile so my house (and a diesel service location) for about another 100 miles. I then filled the tanks, bought 2 new filters and discarded the old ones and spent the next month driving around the state. I changed the filters again before our first trip. I still have the 2 new filters in the coach but have not had a problem. I still add a fuel conditioner about every 1000 miles but I now have 25,000 miles on the coach so I doubt I will have a problem.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #11

Sooooo Bill.....

What did you do?

How did it work out?
Old 12-18-2015, 04:28 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #13

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #14

Before driving it home.
If there is a bottom drain on the fuel tank I would drain off a few gallons to remove any water and hopefully an sediment. Change out the fuel filters and water separator. Carry a set of spare filters as you don't know if there is any algae in the tank that might require a new filter on the way home. I would not add an algaecide until home.
Check the tires carefully. If they are cracked change them out before traveling. If they are just six to seven years old but look good that is in a real "grey" area of do you take the chance or not? If over seven there is no question, change them before travel. If you do drive on the current tires the very first truck stop you see you should weigh the MH and adjust tire pressure accordingly.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel