RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #1

Old Geezers And Smart Mouths....

There are many RV forums on the internet but irv2 is tops. Many share experiences and pose serious issues they face, and just as many step up with helpful advice and share similar challenges, experiences and solutions. If there's one thing that can kill a thread faster than a power outage...it's the Old Geezer "Whack-A-Mole" that pops his smart **s mouth (SAM) up and slams someone with his/her vast knowledge of everything RV and their judgement as sharp as a razor. I can hear them singing their favorite Johnny Cash song to themselves as they type along..."I've Been Everywhere, Man". They insist, everything they do is not only the right way but the ONLY way. And, if you don't agree, they have a plethora of smart remarks and insults to leave behind, just before going underground again. Yes...you know who you are. I suggest, getting up every morning...take a shower...shave...and clip those nasty fingernails. It's amazing how well this cleansing will travel down to your fingertips and influence what you can't retract, once spoken. The RV community, for the most part, is an accomplished group. There are threads and questions posted that go unanswered mostly because people don't know the answers. There are others that people will offer their advice, suggestions, or even better, their experience on the same issue or subject. If you can help someone please do so. If all you have to offer is your SAM...log off, take a bath and return. You will be amazed what a good attitude can contribute.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 06:43 AM   #2

This is still the internet. You have established standards that are way to high. You have to choose to ignore those folks that get under your skin by clicking on their user name and choosing "add to your ignore list" you will never have to read their responses again. I ignore all the ones that feel compelled to post "I can't help you" but I want to run up my post count because I think it is cool to have 5 flames.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Careful who you add to your ignore list cause every once in a while that person will post something that actually solves your issue in a way that you would have never come up with yourself. I prefer to skim and move on rather than eliminate all future information.

Sorry someone put a burr under your saddle. If this site makes you angry then perhaps the internet is not for you because there is almost zero flame wars and arguing the way most sites are. There will be a bit more this time of year as there are more new members and they bring the bad habits of their old sites with them. They usually mellow out or leave for places where others who also like to argue hang out. Not worth worrying about, just skip the posts you don't like.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Soooo.... unless I'm not seeing things correctly there will be two types of posts here.
Those that are in complete agreement with the OP.
And those that the OP uses as proof of his original statement.
(said the old geezer)
Old 04-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #5

^ Seems like it.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:24 AM   #6

Strange post for sure. I would suggest a thicker skin. People have opinions. Some may struggle to share that opinion in a constructive manner. But by posting on any forum, you are inviting other's opinions.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #7

Good post. I have a saying: "Knowledge can be used as a tool or as a weapon." Pretty much sums up human behavior. :^) Yes, these forums have their share of shall I say, "blunt" postings - as in "struck with a blunt object" but it isn't the only forum I belong to where this is the case. I also see it quite strongly on a astronomy forum I've been a member of for many years. There I'm often struck by how people react to a posting by someone new to the hobby, asking simple beginner style questions, or describing with excitement the new telescope they just bought for themselves or their children. Often within a couple posts some one is chewing on them for not using the search feature FIRST for their question, or telling them that the scope they bought is a piece of garbage and should be sent back immediately in exchange for a GOOD one costing ten times as much. No, I'm not making this up. The result in many cases is the person new to the hobby, never replies, and is never hear from again. There's that "knowledge used as a weapon" example.

Ok, let me suit up in my protective armor, over that place my lab coat, climb up on my high horse, balance my soapbox on his back, get on the box and offer my opinion and theory. This idea is not only based on experience, but has some backing by at least one scientific study.

What do these two forums have in common??? Demographics. Both are populated by members with a higher average age than many other forums. They are in fact, my peers, my fellow "Boomers", and we have a little more of a tendency to be less than diplomatic with our opinions than the general populations as a whole. I sometimes think some of it comes from the fact we are at a place in life where that other people think about us or our opinions don't matter as much, we don't really care anymore if we are popular, or if others disagree. A sorta - "Who cares if they don't like what I have to say, that's their problem" - way of thinking. I have another saying, and I often use it regarding myself when being blunt on a subject, and that's that "My B.S. gland is full, my body can't tolerate any more baloney, so it spits it back out." I think that also comes from being farther along in life and having tolerated B.S. in the workplace, and in life for so many years, you are kinda done holding back. Mix that with the "Who cares?" attitude and you get a blunt object - my opinion. My wife avoids certain subjects because she knows when I talk about them I, in her words: "Get too worked up." She's right, because I can feel it happening when talking. I start really enjoying taking my opinion and swinging it about the room with much force, feeding off the "whooshing" sound it makes as I pummel the air with my words. I never used to do that when I was younger.

Ok, that's MY theory, and now the science.

There was a study that once I read about in an article titled: "Aging Brain Drives Blunt Behavior and Missed Memories." Here's a couple quotes from the article:

"Grumpy, blunt, absent-minded, cranky: It seems like there's no shortage of adjectives to describe the way some elderly people behave."

"Psychological tests showed that instead of just being downright rude, many older people have lost their inhibitory ability and may not even realize they're being rude."

"The normal aging process leads to changes in the brain that have social consequences. These brain changes often do not affect intelligence, but they can affect other aspects of mental functioning, like inhibition. Thus, even older adults who are as sharp as a tack may say things that embarrass or upset us, without intending to do so,"

Ok, now blend the science with MY theory and you have an explanation to your post. To sum it up with another one of MY laws of human behavior - Any aspect of human behavior from the general population when plotted on a graph will trace out a bell shaped curve. I bet if you replot via differing age groups, you'll have different curves with the older age group clustering more at the "grumpy" end of the curve. If course the anonymity of the internet skews the data toward the grumpy end anyway but I'm going to stay away from that aspect because that's a subject that send my wife running from the room. You see, I REEEALLLY like to flail that one about with much violence.

Besides, we can't help it, it's the way our brains are, uhhh, ummm, oh DARN, I can't remember what I was going to say. . . .

Ok, let's change the subject and talk about something we can all agree on, like tires, or what's the best oil.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #8

Couple things come to mind when I read posts like these..

First and foremost... most of us, me included, are not literary geniuses.. Unfortunately, I think, some people have issues expressing themselves in print, versus in person.. I think, sometimes, they are either trying to be witty or clever and it comes across as crass and mean.. I really think that is the case.. at least, that's the way I choose to approach "rough" comments.

Secondly.. while I'm not an old-geezer just yet.. I'm approaching the threshold.. This applies manly in business vs forums.. but I've learned that I need to refrain from expressing my opinions (read that, experiences)..

I believe this is especially true when dealing with millennial's.. Things are different, and just because it didn't work five, ten or fifteen years ago, doesn't mean it won't work today.. we are definitely seeing paradigm shifts of epic proportion...

So, I believe teaching an old dog a new trick is possible, just depends on how "receptive" the dog is to new tricks !!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funding Fun View Post
...it's the Old Geezer
How do we identify this bird? Is there a male and female version?
Old 04-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #10

Quote:
...it's the Old Geezer
Hmmm... So the first thing you do is to insult senior citizens. Class, but not first.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I find that listening the the Stones album Sticky Fingers makes any day better no matter who post what on the net....
Old 04-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #12

Quote:
There are many RV forums on the internet but irv2 is tops. Many share experiences and pose serious issues they face, and just as many step up with helpful advice and share similar challenges, experiences and solutions. If there's one thing that can kill a thread faster than a power outage...it's the Old Geezer "Whack-A-Mole" that pops his [mod edit] up and slams someone with his/her vast knowledge of everything RV and their judgement as sharp as a razor. I can hear them singing their favorite Johnny Cash song to themselves as they type along..."I've Been Everywhere, Man". They insist, everything they do is not only the right way but the ONLY way. And, if you don't agree, they have a plethora of smart remarks and insults to leave behind, just before going underground again. Yes...you know who you are. I suggest, getting up every morning...take a shower...shave...and clip those nasty fingernails. It's amazing how well this cleansing will travel down to your fingertips and influence what you can't retract, once spoken. The RV community, for the most part, is an accomplished group. There are threads and questions posted that go unanswered mostly because people don't know the answers. There are others that people will offer their advice, suggestions, or even better, their experience on the same issue or subject. If you can help someone please do so. If all you have to offer is your [mod edit]...log off, take a bath and return. You will be amazed what a good attitude can contribute.

Amen!
Old 04-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I refer to boomers as youngsters, would that make me a Geezer?

Glenn
Old 04-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe the definition of 'geezer' is "anyone older and/or who has more wrinkles than the observer". Sometimes gray hair or the lack of hair is also considered a contributing factor to geezerness.