RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #1

Old RV's. I think I understand...

For years I had always thought it would be nice to own a new RV. After we graduated from tent camping, we thought we were in paradise with our "new" used Viking pop-up. As years passed we modified it, put in a room AC unit, fixed the floor and the winch and the cables and the leaks until we sold it. All the while we hoped for a new camper. Alas, too expensive in our minds. Spending that kind of money couldn't be justified. Then we got the 2000 Terry Hybrid.(in 2006). Price was right. After a year we were fixing leaks, replacing the floor, modifying the bathroom, etc. Still hoping for a chance to get a new RV, I chanced upon this forum and it was here I learned LOTS of people have older RV's. And what's more, they are fixing them and keeping them. RVing just got a whole lot more fun knowing I am in with a good group of people. Learning to repair and maintain my RV is much more fun. It's like a home remodel on wheels.

ItalianRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #2

Yes it my hobby now and I love it, there is always something to improve or update. We went to the Tampa show last year and there were not to many motorhomes there that I would have traded for.

G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

We full-time in a 2013 Crossroads Rushmore Jefferson. So replace A/C unit, Fridge, Microwave, plus all my fixes that the company screwed up on. Now last month bought a 2001 SunnyBrook 27'. Great shape, everything working great. Just need to replace the tires, before we take it out. The old ones, out the new ones to shame.
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:06 AM   #4

My wife and I just spent 950 bucks to buy a 1977 Class C, 27'. I haven't priced what we would spend to have bought a brand new unit, but even a 10-15 year old unit could have run us high teens in price. After our first trip (almost 800 miles) the wife is satisfied. All we could gain with a newer Class C would be a slide, which for 10k, that is expensive square footage! We happened to find a unit that actually had bunk beds in the back, and that was an item on the must find list and the main reason we thought we would have to go newer. Once I get some maintenance done on the chassis and power train I think 9-10 MPG will be very easily attainable. And what would a newer unit do on fuel? Not much, if any better. At that, it would do. Water than the 1997 Winner Adventurer class A my grandparents bought brand new.
Long live the old rigs!
Old 09-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think the folks that buy new RV's go through all the fixing too!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:45 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My parents had a 1977 class C on a Dodge van platform and even brand new it got about 7 miles to the gallon. Good luck getting 9 or 10.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #7

The PO of our unit said 9-10 was what he was getting when they ran it regularly. The Dodge chassis units seemed to either have a severely under powered 318 or a fuel sucking 440. The GM chassis we have has a small block 400. It got 6 with a toad, dragging front brakes and a carb and distributor in distressed condition. In short, there is definitely low hanging fruit in the economy department...But to address the OP thoughts, a newer rig wouldn't do much better. I know my boss looked at a $90k gas Mercedes class B and the economy numbers they gave him were 10ish.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New or old, RVs will always and continuously require maintenance, attention, and repairs (not to mention upgrades ). Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

And 6-9mpg is typical for an RV; new, old, A, C... Really doesn't matter. I've had 3 over the past 28 years; 2 C's and one A, from 23' to 30'. 6.5-7mpg towing, 8-8.5mpg not towing; all 3. If you're concerned with fuel mileage, RVing is not for you.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #9

In a way I (we) miss our first rv,, a 95 class A Europa... I did a Bunch of work on it,,, many thousand miles... Never let us down... it just didn't have the room we needed... Now we have a 1 yr old 5vr,,, lots of room,, much nicer stuff,,, long hot showers,,, BUT we are already talking about going back to a mh... Guess we are normal huh ??? It takes a few rv's to get the "right" one.... hmmmm
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #10
IC2

The DW and I have been 'nattering' about a Class C so she could do some of the driving. Talking with folks in CGs have found that most with the very common Ford chassis and V10 run in the 7mpg towing, 8 or so with no tow range. This isn't far off of what our last truck w/V10 and a 12 K 5er got. These gas powered RVs will never achieve the usual 12-13 that we are getting with the diesel TV and another 12K 5er (it's actually been 14.4 this trip with no biocrud diesel fuel). Buying an elderly Class C and refurbishing it would be fun but be aware that the Ford/Dodge/GM engine with a carb, distributor and little electronics on those thirsty 460/440/454 cubic engines can be an expensive ride.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #11

We inherited an ultra low mileage '94 Montara. It took about $3k in new tires and misc. system repairs to get it camping worthy. I'm just finishing installing veneer flooring in it and a few other projects. We've spent 6 weeks camping in it this year and will probably get a few more trips in it this fall.

While it is a FI 460 and only gets 7.5 to 9 mpg, our TOTAL cost of ownership has been quite low.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:03 AM   #12

Yeah, I understand and appreciate what you have said. My 26 ft Hybrid TT is not as involved as what some of you are offering, and that's good. I don't want complicated. It is fun doing the work. Have been pulling it with a '93 Suburban and all went well. Moved up to F350 with a V10. We'll see how that goes.
ItalianRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
New or old, RVs will always and continuously require maintenance, attention, and repairs (not to mention upgrades ). Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

And 6-9mpg is typical for an RV; new, old, A, C... Really doesn't matter. I've had 3 over the past 28 years; 2 C's and one A, from 23' to 30'. 6.5-7mpg towing, 8-8.5mpg not towing; all 3. If you're concerned with fuel mileage, RVing is not for you.
Amen, amen, amen.
Micki-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #14

We have a 2005 travel trailer... little problems, but spaced out time wise..

winter 2014-15 lived in it 3 1/2 months. South Carolina
winter 2015-16 lived in it 5 months. South Texas
winter 2017... we depart in 6 weeks.. again South Texas. and 5 months.

I know and understand "Living" in it is harder on the trailer ... but its holding up well.
Lord willing.

I will do everything I can to keep my wife from having more Asthma Attacks during Ohio Winters.
Married 43 years.

Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs