Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 07:26 AM   #15

I have a 15 yo Chevy based mh I bought used 4 years ago. So far in regard to the engine, I've had a new fuel pump and fuel rail. Wiper motor went bad and replaced. I get around 8.5 mpg. House components AC, furnace, wh, plumbing have been problem free. Have had to repair some drawer slides and the shades could stand to be replaced but currently function. I have no qualms about driving it anywhere.

There are folks that properly maintain their older units and those that don't. Have anything your are interested in purchasing checked out. If a dealer tells you that the unit has been inspected and it's good to go, do not believe them.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #16

We were boaters and I think the boat thing was way more $$$. We just purchased this 17 year old DP in August.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nice Rig !
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #18

I would encourage you to consider DP as well. Bang for buck, I doubt you'll come close with gas. Air brakes (very desirable after having owned an older gasser), air ride, bullet proof transmissions, exhaust brakes (a huge asset in the hills), and much higher GVWR are all things to consider.

If you're stuck on gas though, 97 is about the time they were playing with the conversion from a narrow wheel track to the wider one used in the diesels. Huge handling difference. You want the wider chassis/body.

If you're looking at HR, check out the Endeavor series (or Monaco Diplomat, same coach). Most are diesel, but there were some gas. The frame is aluminum from the floor up for the most part, netting you a coach that's considerably lighter than many.

I wouldn't buy one without the slide out. The mechanism is sturdy, and to my knowledge reasonably trouble free. At this age, they aren't that much more than a non slide out coach.

Whatever you do, be super vigilant regarding water damage. The more common delamination or sidewall corrosion (on the older alum skin coaches). If you see some, turn on your heel and find something else to look at. This problem almost always just continues to get worse, and sends more RV's to the bone yard than any other problem. You cannot afford to fix one, even when doing the work yourself.

We can count on ours to get within a hair either side of 8 mpg on trips pulling a toad.

Last, the nice ones are out there. Unfortunately, you're going to have to sort through a lot of junk to find one. Have patience! The minute you settle for one that's not quite up to your standards, you'll find the one you wish you had gone with....
-Al
Old 03-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #19

Thanks for all the info guys. Awesome tidbits. The delamination issues are new to me. I think that means water damage in the walls, right?
Old 03-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
We were boaters and I think the boat thing was way more $$$. We just purchased this 17 year old DP in August.

Wow, that looks awesome. Yeah, boating can sure get expensive. But I love it. Still at it. We sold the 50' Gibson Houseboat, traded the Baja for a c4 Corvette (bad bad deal) and bought a 288 Sunsation. Mid Cabin Open bow 28 footer w/ a High Output 496. Vroom Vroom. That's why I would have to go with an older MH. But sounds very very doable. You guys have given me HOPE.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks
Whatever you do, be super vigilant regarding water damage. The more common delamination or sidewall corrosion (on the older alum skin coaches). If you see some, turn on your heel and find something else to look at. This problem almost always just continues to get worse, and sends more RV's to the bone yard than any other problem. You cannot afford to fix one, even when doing the work yourself.
Sounds very serious and I do not have a good handle on how to be sure about this delamnation. Any tips on what signs / issues to look for?

My sons FIL has the HR that he is going to be selling. It's a gasser. I will consider it but the DP's sure sound interesting. My tractor is a diesel and I love the power/dependability.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
We got our 1987 32' Rockwood 4 years ago and no problems. Gas 454 chevy with 44K on the clock/now 60k. Did have to put on 6 tires but then we only paid 2K for it. On the plus side the older motorhome do not have slides-no leaks-no jam ups-no broken gears/teeth. Plus some older units look cool (GMC).
Old 03-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Older Class A Motor Homes

Nice looking unit there Mike. I think all of us lifetime boaters nearing retirement settle into a motorhome, same kinda comraderie. I've been a boater for 40yrs. I will be retiring in about 4yrs. I have many older than me boating friends I know tat have moved out of there boats and are now snow birds. As you guys know similar systems except don't have to winterize two engines and and a water cooled generator as boats. Takes too long to get anywhere in a big boat running 8-9mph at 1.5 mpg isn't it? I have been hanging out here for a little over a yr. There is a lot to know and a lot of great help on here.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post

Nice looking unit there Mike. I think all of us lifetime boaters nearing retirement settle into a motorhome, same kinda comraderie. I've been a boater for 40yrs. I will be retiring in about 4yrs. I have many older than me boating friends I know tat have moved out of there boats and are now snow birds. As you guys know similar systems except don't have to winterize two engines and and a water cooled generator as boats. Takes too long to get anywhere in a big boat running 8-9mph at 1.5 mpg isn't it? I have been hanging out here for a little over a yr. There is a lot to know and a lot of great help on here.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroG View Post
Sounds very serious and I do not have a good handle on how to be sure about this delamnation. Any tips on what signs / issues to look for?

My sons FIL has the HR that he is going to be selling. It's a gasser. I will consider it but the DP's sure sound interesting. My tractor is a diesel and I love the power/dependability.
A delam will generally appear as a fairly large bubble in the side, consists of loose skin material (or interior paneling), often located below a window or other opening in the side of the coach. It could also be in the form of a ceiling that appears to have a sag in it. That bubble or sag may not seem like too big a deal, until you consider the reason it exists. Generally it's because whatever is supposed to be holding the siding material or headliner in place has rotted to the point it's no longer able to do that. This is similar to a wood boat with a rotten keel or a glass sport boat with a rotted transom. If you see either, you just move on, right?
Old 03-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #26

Our older gasser is just 16 years old. We bought it in 2009 since it was the same brand as our 1995 version with the GM 6.5 Diesel (with 137,000 miles). We knew the original owner and had no issues with buying something with 50,000 miles.

We drove across the country two years ago, now have 80,000 miles, and are planning trips to the Boston area and Yellowstone this year, so you can see we have confidence in the unit.

Regarding gas vs. Diesel, that's your choice and it's influenced in what size MH you are interested in. Our gas MH is only 29 ft. and we usually tow a car trailer. If you plan on a towing a car, and are looking for something longer than 35 - 38 ft. I think a Diesel might be better just for the towing capacity.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #27

very pretty for being that old
Old 03-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought our 1999 Winnebago Chieftain two years ago. We replaced the old tires and the tube TV and other than oil changes we have had no chassis issues. House issues have been very minor. We've put about 12,000 miles in the past two years.

I don't regret anything about buying this rig, BUT I know there's a certain element of luck in picking a unit. We took her to the Ford Truck dealership and had them do a full diagnosis so we knew what we were dealing with. I strongly suggest you do the same.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a