Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #1

Older Holiday Rambler needs a new motor

I think I posted this in the wrong location so Im posting here. Sorry about that!
Hello to all. I hope I can get some solid advise on a big problem we have. Our 1993 Holiday Rambler Imperial's motor is toast. This unit is nearly perfect inside. It was purchased fairly cheap but the cost of a new / rebuilt motor is daunting. We love this camper! Pretty bad gas milage but I wonder how much that would change with a new power plant. Is there anybody else out there who had to make this kind of decision? A new unit is out of reach for us at this point. Also, the reviews on "Jasper" rebuilds isn't too good so we would probably get a new crate motor providing this camper doesn't get junked! The big question really is how much is too much $$$ to put into an older unit? Please help! Thanks in advance for any responses, and happy camping to all!
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What make/model/size motor is in your HR.

My sister-in-law had to have the motor in her Chevy Suburban repaired/replaced, had almost 300K on it so it as just wore out. Looked at all options, I helped her do the research and she finally decided on a Jasper rebuild. Luckily I knew a good trustworthy mechanic who agreed to do the work. Even still the cost was ~+$5K.

One option is to look at a salvaged motor, but there is always a risk but you might get lucky. Some places do offer a brief warrant but you'd still be out labor which would be a lot.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't say say whether it's a Chevy or a Ford power plant. If it's a Chevy and you do decide go with a crate motor, investigate the 502 to replace that 454. Every little bit helps.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Go to a junkyard and get a replacement motor, hopefully with under 90,000 miles from a truck. There are tons of blogs and vids on youtube showing the swap so you know what you are getting into. For my money it is good money after bad but you may feel it is doable.

Lots of other things need replaced while you have it out and they are easy to get to. Sensors, wires, relays, pumps etc. Even a junkyard motor swap done by yourself will cost over $3500. Add a coupl grand to have it done for you.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #5

Like I said on your other post maybe check craigslist if you want used last year I got a 460 with trans and brake ass. 28000 mi for $600 we did change gaskets & seals didn't need to ..
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #6

The units a Holiday Rambler, Imperial. Ford 460. 37' with a tag axel. I drive it like the family station wagon, but yikes the gas milage is poor. With the exception of the ceiling fabric coming loose in a few places the unit is in near perfect condition. No water damage, everything works. The previous owner replaced the fridge with a bigger one right before we bought it. When we first bought it there were chassis issues. Spent a fair amount of $$$ getting it all sorted out. Then the motor crapped out.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #7

You didn't say what failed in the engine, but why not pull it and send to a machine shop for rebuilding unless the block is damaged.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:34 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would guess around 5 MPG? Will not improve with a new motor. Jasper is not the only engine rebuilder, there are many others. US Engines for example. Eagle engine sales was another.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:53 AM   #9

Doubtful removing and rebuilding is an option. The head gasket is blown. There are several different end results as where the gasket is leaking is isn't always the same with a blown head gasket. Ours has been allowing exhaust gas to get into the coolant. This creates carbon deposits to form. When problems developed before we knew what was going on the motor was checked out thoroughly. a freeze plug on each side was removed and the motor was flushed out with the proper equipment. The coolant was flowing fine on 1 side but just trickling out the other. That means carbon deposits in the relatively small passageways in the block / head. Would be an involved rebuild. FYI we were getting around 7 MPG before. My preference would be to go 1 size bigger on a new or rebuilt motor. Obviously there is no way we'll ever get our $$$ out of this unit but $8500-9500 for another motor beats financing a newer coach. If our HR wasn't in such great condition we would never consider spending that much on a motor. Dang!!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:30 AM   #10

Personally I would get a new motor, if your planning on keeping the motorhome for many years. I'd rather spend money knowing my motorhome is in excellent shape , and keep it , rather buying something else and having more problems
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
Personally I would get a new motor, if your planning on keeping the motorhome for many years. I'd rather spend money knowing my motorhome is in excellent shape , and keep it , rather buying something else and having more problems

I agree, if this is your forever MH, then it makes sense to repair it for the long haul. You will never recover the $$ spent when you do sell it, but it sounds like you will be happy using it which can be priceless. I would advise against getting a different size/hp motor as that upgrade will require drive train changes and adaptions that will add to the cost. Get cost estimates from at least 3 different shops and see what they suggest. I would also insist on a cost estimate for rebuilding the existing motor.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #12

I wanted to state that 7 MPG out of the 460 with a 37 foot tag axle is not bad. I am thinking you are probably rated 18 - 20K for the GVWR similar to my old 1993 HR 1000 with the 460 and a tag axle. I used to get about 6 -8 depending on if I was towing, how windy and how many hills I climbed. I was talking to a guy at a campground with a F250 and the 460 he only got 11 - 13 empty and around 5 -7 towing his fifth wheel. It made me feel better about my mileage.

If you do the engine I would recommend headers over the stock manifolds. I personally installed the Banks kit and felt it had a bit more power on the hills (ie the transmission did not hunt its gear as much). Even if it gave 10% more MPG at 7 MPG that would increase to 7.7 MPG and that is not noticeable. As stated other factors can make that difference including speed. After all you are pushing an 8 foot wide 7 foot tall 37 ft long box down the highway.

Also wanted to note that I read somewhere that Jasper warranty is shorter if it is in an RV. I have not looked into it but remember someone claiming it was like 90 days compared to the 3 year 36000 miles if the same engine went into a truck. Something to keep in mind and research as you figure out what you want to do.

And finally my newer 2005 38' on the workhorse W24 with the 8.1 gets 6 - 8 depending on the same factors (actually had a stint down around 5.2 when I had a O2 sensor code set and the engine went to running rich to prevent a lean condition). So again I think your 7 is in the good range.

Mike
mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #13

My 96 36 ft Bounder with 460 averages 5.5-6 towing our Focus.
6-6.5 not towing .
We average 7 once while coming back to St Louis from KC area, but it’s mostly down hill all the way . I run 60-62 mph for the most part
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

With labor being such a big piece of the total cost & effort, I would go for a crate engine if I were doing it. I would also get a newer engine with fuel injection, electronic control, etc. That would get you to 8-10 mpg. Yeah, that adds to the cost, but if you plan to keep it, seems like the smartest option.

Is it worth it? From a financial viewpoint, NO. A '93 Imperial with a working engine is worth $8k-$10k, and a new engine isn't worth any additional dollars vs a decent used one. If you have to pay somebody to do the replacement, you are going to spend near that much by the time you finish. The two reasons to do it anyway are:
1. Those old Imperials are way cool!
2. You [presumably] know the condition of this one, vs buying another old coach that may be an unknown.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler