Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
If you blow a steer, the 1st reaction should be to mash the accelerator. This is to counter the motion of the "side push" with adding more forward momentum to the overall mass of the rig.
If you are cruising on an interstate, your last thought will be to mash the accelerator. If you are talking about the Michelin video, where they say your first action with a front tire blows out, is to step on the accelerator, I totally disagree. I've had two blow outs, the most recent was a RF tire in May 2015. The last thing I wanted was more speed or more forward thrust. I slowed (did not brake), maintained control and got off the road. The Michelin video sounds good and looks good, however, all the scenarios are scripted with safety the primary consideration. It's like a lot of "school solutions," every aspect of the demonstration is planned. However, when doing it for real, I doubt it's merit.
The bottom line is to maintain control of the vehicle and slow down. BTDT.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
My experience with a left front blowout @ 65 mph resulted with the left front dropping and an immediate pull to the left. In the following nanoseconds my corrective inputs were an immediate righthand steering correction and an increase in throttle. Why? The shredding tire produced a left turn due to increased tire friction and forward momentum was lost to a left side momentum. Both the steering correction and increase throttle corrected the situation. Right or wrong, it worked for me. Since this was my 1st steering tire blowout I do not know if the throttle response really helped but I know for certain, it did not hurt.
The same thing happened to me in my Vectra, but there was no pull like what you describe. My blowout caused a significant increase in the rolling resistance of the failed tire, What I felt on the steering wheel, besides the vibration, was the high rolling resistance of the failed tire was trying to turn the spindles and steer itself to the side of the failed tire. But, I never relinquished control of the steering wheel, and I knew exactly what to do with the steering wheel so that I could stay in my lane. Never lost control, I remained relaxed, turned on the emergency flashing lights, looked around, switch off the cruise control, and started slowing down. I'm 78 years old, on my 6th Class A. I started driving EARLY, learned a lot about motor vehicle chassis dynamics in school and in all the auto racing I did. I worked at Schellenger Research Laboratories for several years (was enrolled in engineering school). I know math and physics. I designed, financed, constructed my own auto racetrack facility, and had a career in commercial aviation (flying high altitude/high performance jet aircraft). My point is, I've experienced more than my share of high speed tire blowout events. I'm on a mission to help RV drivers to NOT be scared about tire blowouts, and to always be aware that it can happen to anybody, and therefore you should be ready for it all the time. Knowledge is power.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #17

I thought a steering stabilizer helps in this situation?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #18

So, In event that RV drivers were to look further into the subject of this thread, keep in mind that I approach it by incorporating reasoning conducting, or assessed, according to principles of scientific validity. Obviously, this presents a bit of a problem to some of the RVers who are members of this forum. I wish it weren’t so. I’ll just keep attempting to help some, not all.
Be informed that there is generally only ONE significant PULLING force acting on our subject motorhome, it’s the pull of GRAVITY (downward). Some of you have insisted that there is an outside pulling force which pulls the front of the motorhome to the side. Some of you have mentioned that the failed tire has a large effective foot print which causes a strong sideways pull. Some have mentioned that the high friction of this foot print is what causes the sideways pull. First of all, the tire is designed to play a part in “high friction” when it is INFLATED and all the tread rubber has to be well-attached to the rest of the tire. And, when it’s inflated, that’s when it’ll have the largest effective footprint (that’s one reason why the inflated steer tire has more traction than the failed tire). Thirdly, whatever friction between the rubber and the pavement there is, has to follow the laws of physics. And if you call it DRAG, which some of you have done, you need to know that drag is a force that acts OPPOSITE the relative motion of an object (the object is moving forward). Whatever friction or drag or traction the failed tire causes, it will present a RESTISTANCE to the moving motorhome, whether it’s moving forward or sideways. Therefore, a good understanding of exactly how and why turning the steering wheel actually is what steers the motorhome, even if one of the steer tires fails, is so HELPFUL to the driver. Keep in mind that the subject motorhome was traveling on a level and straight road, and suddenly turned to the left and proceeded to drive off the pavement. Keep in mind that the force of this resistance is straight back(relative the motorhome), AND OUTBOARD of the vertical axis of its SPINDLE. In other words, this force is not “on solid footing”,…it’s trying to push back on a type of HINGE. It’s easy for it to turn it’s spindle(and steer the motorhome,…UNLESS a superior force is immediately commanded to defeat it. THAT would be the “might” of the POWER STEERING. THAT’s the reason that the driver has to be quick and correct with his command of the steering wheel!
It has been said that the advantage that the driver in the Michelin video has is KNOWING that the blowout is going to happen. There’s a lot more to that. He is a professional “test pilot” hired by the testing facility. He already knows what to do (he doesn’t waste time processing the signal). But, keep in mind that it only takes the signals ½ second or less to reach the driver’s ears and hands). So, how well would you do if you already knew what to do?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #19

I just had a front right tire blow out on my 1 ton diesel Ford long box truck pulling an enclosed 30' race car trailer @ 70 mph. I had perhaps 1-2 seconds of the steering wheel shaking before all hell broke loose. With two hands on the wheel in the center lane of freeway, it was everything I had to attempt to keep it in center lane while others around me bailed out of way. As soon as I could start to merge to far right shoulder I did. I did not give it any throttle (nor would I) and did not touch the brakes, just slowed down naturally. It is my second front tire to go in my lifetime of driving, and have had perhaps 3 on rear. Not sure what my DP would be like, but do know it would be a handful to maintain control. I had my adult son, daughter and my wife in the truck at time, and they all were shocked at how violent the event was, it was a good lesson to them as they all (like me) are guilty of driving with one hand on the wheel.
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:49 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Per post #17.......Any one have this experience ..with True Steer or Safe-T-Plus installed ?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I have NOT, though I had a coach that has Safe-T-Plus installed. I've seen praising reports that from drivers who had one of those and experienced a tire failure, but there is no way of knowing what it would have been like if they did NOT have it in those same circumstances. It's one of those thinhs we can only conjecture about.

I have experienced a front tire failure without them and while it's not fun, it wasn't life threatening either. Had a front tire valve fail (literally blew off) with no warning, just a loud bang and sudden drag on the right front. Fortunately I was in the right lane, but traffic was heavy and there was construction on the shoulder, so I had to nurse it to a turn off after getting slowed down. No gas, and no brakes applied.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting debate. There has been some research done on this topic. Here is a real world test of a steer tire blowout

travelinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm convinced that stabbing the go pedal on my diesel M/H for 1, 2 or even 3 seconds would produce nothing. The only advantage would be your foot is not on the brake. The single lesson learned here is that, as the driver, you need a good grip on the wheel at all times and keep the speed at a reasonable level. I think cruising at 70 and 75 mph in a large M/H is crazy. What's the hurry?
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
The problem is you have no warning for the blowout. The driver is most likely day dreaming or talking but most definitely not expecting a major tire issue to happen. You just don't have time to look up the "blowout procedure" during the incident. The driver has to rely on instinct to grab the wheel while the brain is still processing what happened. I agree that these front tire blowout incidents are rare (only once in my life) but they can be deadly.

Sounds like you have experienced this.
If so, can you recall enough to give detailed information on what to expect and feel?
Might very well save someone a lot of grief.
Thank you in advance
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Always keep driving no matter what the problem. The moment you stop driving is when all the bad things start to happen.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
The biggest cause of blowouts is under inflation and speed.
Most serious accidents usually involve too high of speed.
Driving any motorhome requires much more thought and attention than your family sedan. It is basically a truck and should be driven accordingly. Speed limits in many states are lower for trucks and it is for good reason. That does not mean they are followed. Most trucks are way over the speed limit and the evidence is the blown tires all over the roads.
These coaches drive like a dream and 80 mph is no problem. Some say their tires are rated for that speed. Weight speed friction heat!!
Old 09-19-2018, 05:54 AM   #27

JoeHogan included the (OLD)Michelin/Anderson video in the above #22 post. That's good, because it begs a few important questions, and I now have to respond. There's new information. I will explain as soon as I get back from the lab.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodg495 View Post
I'm convinced that stabbing the go pedal on my diesel M/H for 1, 2 or even 3 seconds would produce nothing. The only advantage would be your foot is not on the brake. The single lesson learned here is that, as the driver, you need a good grip on the wheel at all times and keep the speed at a reasonable level. I think cruising at 70 and 75 mph in a large M/H is crazy. What's the hurry?

Agree, everything else is a whole bunch of Huey!