RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2018, 07:04 AM   #1

On blowout of front steer tire

Know this and remember this!!!
In event of a high-speed front steer tire blowout, in a RV , if you lose your proper and continuous COMMAND of the steering wheel for even ONE second, and if you allow your good steer tire to leave the pavement, and if you stomp on the brake pedal, or use any kind of brake,Ö. the vehicle will MOST LIKELY go into the UNCONTROLLABLE mode.
WHY is the steering wheel command the absolute MOST important of all the above? Itís because at high speed the failed tire will cause itís spindle AND the steering spindle on the other side to quickly TURN, AND quickly steer the vehicle into the DANGEROUS part of the event,Ö.if the driver is not in proper command of the steering wheel at all times.
Donít be misled. The failed tire does NOT pull the vehicle to the dangerous side, it is PUSHED by the MOMENTUM (mass and velocity) of the vehicle. (the vehicleís factory steering system is what steers it). Thatís why itís up to the driver to instantly use and keep using the steering wheel in order to maintain the good steer tire on the pavement. The good steering tire has more potential traction that the failed tire. If properly and timely steered, it can easily DEFEAT the ďdead alligatorĒ.
BTW in my Dutch Star, whenever Iím cruising on the open road, the engine exhaust brake is OFF and the cruise control is set at 67 mph. And, I try to stay alert at all times.

Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 08:22 AM   #2

If you blow a steer, the 1st reaction should be to mash the accelerator. This is to counter the motion of the "side push" with adding more forward momentum to the overall mass of the rig.

Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
If you blow a steer, the 1st reaction should be to mash the accelerator. This is to counter the motion of the "side push" with adding more forward momentum to the overall mass of the rig.
Sorry, there is no power power-vectoring device for the "side push" that you describe. There is a video that illustrates all the motions that I describe, and the subject is a large motorhome pulling a red pickup. Adding power? That power ends up at the REAR driven tires, and it's turned into forward thrust. the thrust vector is forward and along the long center line of the vehicle. HOWEVER, if you can find a physicist or mechanical engineer who can explain exactly how the power is transmitted to the drive tires in a way that it would produce asymetrical thrust in a favorable manner all of us would believe that stepping on the accelerator might help. It's possible, but it would NOT be sufficient to to get you out of trouble by itself. Proper and instant control of the steering wheel is still your best bet, and that's where the emphasis needs to be.
Actually, months ago I explain what it takes to cause a division of the thrust, but it was rejected right here is this forum.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post

Your first reaction in a unexpected front tire blow out after hearing the loud bang will not be to mash the gas pedal and try to go faster. Not going to happen, BTDT! A MH traveling at 67 MPH with a front tire blowout would not be good, slow the damn thing down, what's the rush! We are supposed to be on vacation or retired.
grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Your first reaction in a unexpected front tire blow out after hearing the loud bang will not be to mash the gas pedal and try to go faster. Not going to happen, BTDT! A MH traveling at 67 MPH with a front tire blowout would not be good, slow the damn thing down, what's the rush! We are supposed to be on vacation or retired.
That's right, thank you. But, if you think further about what I myself will do(already did it), I will NOT lose control at any time(not leave my lane),....I CAN START SLOWING DOWN RIGHT AWAY. The trick is to NOT lose control and any time during the event. If you do that, you do NOT have to wait "until I'm sure I have control". It's really not difficult to do. THe hardest part is teaching yourself NOT to have "brain freeze" just because there is a sudden bang and vibration. The immediate sensation that you feel in the steering wheel should be plenty for the driver to immediately turn the steering wheel and work it such that the vehicle stays in its lane.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:

By mashing the gas when you have a front tire blowout, you are not going to go faster! You only mash the gas for a second or two!

I can not understand why anyone who has driven a motorhome does not understand this.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Gotta agree - the critical thing is control and keeping your cool. I would not mash the go-pedal any more than I would mash the brake. A firm grip on the steering wheel and let the rig slow gently as I gradually steer toward a safe place.

Way too much paranoia about front wheel blowouts, in my opinion. It's rarely a disaster, so don't panic and maintain control.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #8

The problem is you have no warning for the blowout. The driver is most likely day dreaming or talking but most definitely not expecting a major tire issue to happen. You just don't have time to look up the "blowout procedure" during the incident. The driver has to rely on instinct to grab the wheel while the brain is still processing what happened. I agree that these front tire blowout incidents are rare (only once in my life) but they can be deadly.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
By mashing the gas when you have a front tire blowout, you are not going to go faster! You only mash the gas for a second or two!

I can not understand why anyone who has driven a motorhome does not understand this.

Are you speaking from experience? By the time I even though about mashing the gas pedal, I was already half slowed down after doing a severe lane swerve. I didn't have any problem hitting the brakes, with the trailer, I still had 7 tire brakes working fine to stop the rig.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Are you speaking from experience? By the time I even though about mashing the gas pedal, I was already half slowed down after doing a severe lane swerve.

Yes, I am speaking from experience.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I want that Diesel engine that will responded in 6 th. gear to a second or two of mashing the pedal to the floor.
C&SL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Yes, I am speaking from experience.

I commend you, you think/react a lot faster than I can.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #13

Quote:
I commend you, you think/react a lot faster than I can.

Before we got our first motothome I came across the Michelin video, and it sounded reasonable to me, so after getting the motorhome I kept telling myself that in case of a front blowout mash the gas. When we did have a blowout, my reaction was instinctive, I was so surprised it worked so well to gain control. Maybe, I was just lucky, but if it happens again, I hope to react in the same way.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
My experience with a left front blowout @ 65 mph resulted with the left front dropping and an immediate pull to the left. In the following nanoseconds my corrective inputs were an immediate righthand steering correction and an increase in throttle. Why? The shredding tire produced a left turn due to increased tire friction and forward momentum was lost to a left side momentum. Both the steering correction and increase throttle corrected the situation. Right or wrong, it worked for me. Since this was my 1st steering tire blowout I do not know if the throttle response really helped but I know for certain, it did not hurt.

Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote