Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #15

Here are the EPA primary standards for public drinking water. Here are the EPA secondary standards for drinking water.
Bottled water is regulated by the FDA as a packaged food source. FDA Bottled Water Regulations | IBWA | Bottled Water
Compile all this data together, and it's plainly evident that the difference for RV'ers is how they choose to care for their fresh water system.
I choose to keep my fresh water system clean and in good working order. If one decided to ignore keeping their fresh water system fresh and clean, and only use that water for showering/bathing, keep in mind contaminated/dirty water can and will cause skin infections through any weak areas in your skin, through your mucous membranes like your eyes, nose, mouth, ear drums, genitalia, etc.
We also carry bottled water for the convenience, but the waste bottles always have concerned us-what a hassle to recycle them on the road. We always have bottles of drinking water in-hand when we leave the RV for walking, hiking, going shopping, etc.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 06:31 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I use the fresh water tank for drinking fairly often - through a dual filter under the kitchen sink. If the tank sits empty for a period of time like when I am at a rv park for an extended time, I sanitize with bleach before using again. Bottled water is an extra cost and hassle I don't need. I also drink only filtered water when hooked up as well.

sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I drank out of the hose as a kid and I still do. Our city water is chlorinated which keeps our tank clean. I've been RVing for 38 years and only sanitized a tank once on a used RV we bought.

I think people get a little crazy over the water they have in their RV or get at a campground. This is not a third world country or water supply. I refuse to pay more for bottled water than gasoline.....what a rip off. Or better yet.....go to one of those outdoor water machines that is connected to the city water behind it.

About the only water that is terrible (tasting) is Arizona's water, but it's still safe to drink. Filtering your drinking water is fine, but the constant worry about flushing and sanitizing tanks is a little over the edge.

Who reading this can name someone who was DIRECTLY made sick by drinking water from their RV tank or a camping water source (water from a spigot).
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

We primarily drink bottled water but not because we are concerned about the quality of the water in our tank... we make coffee with water from the tank.

We just use bottled water for drinking both at home and when traveling. In fact we even use bottled water for the dogs when traveling to avoid "digestive" challenges they seem to get when constantly changing their drinking water.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We primarily drink bottled water but not because we are concerned about the quality of the water in our tank... we make coffee with water from the tank.

We just use bottled water for drinking both at home and when traveling.
Ditto. We sanitize our fresh water tank twice a year since we are "vacationers." I have no problem cooking, bathing, making coffee or DRINKING water from the tank, and using the ice cubes made in our freezer.

We use bottled water because it's convenient to carry around and keep cold in the fridge.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We just use bottled water for drinking both at home and when traveling. In fact we even use bottled water for the dogs when traveling to avoid "digestive" challenges they seem to get when constantly changing their drinking water.
Rick
Dogs seem more sensitive to water changes than we are. On most long trips that we take -the fresh tank (home water) is for the dogs. We often drink bottled water but can use fresh tank.. Local water is filtered at the spigot and the sink. Have hit a few stinkwater/rusty CG's that we don't use at all, except to flush the tanks on departure...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use the freshwater tank for everything when we are not connected to CG water. We have a high-quality water filter under the sink with a separate faucet. We use that for everything we drink or cook with.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Sanitize the tank regularly and only fill it with RO water.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We fill them up before leaving home plus a 7 and 6 Gallon Container. We use for everything. When we to the CG we use there's thru a filter. We also don't store water for more that a week at the most.
3 years this way for us and we haven't gotten sick yet.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:46 AM   #24

We use tank water for everything. Sanitized our tank initially and routinely refill from a treated (chlorine) water source. Also have a basic whole house filter and good quality sink filter. Use some bottled water too, mainly because of convenience.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #25

I always sanitize my tank, but we only use the water for washing (hand, shower, clothes, toilet, etc.) Bottled water for everything else, coffee, cooking, etc., even brushing teeth. Don't ask me why, just a habit. If she's happy, I'm happy.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bottles are real handy when motorhoming, easy to keep cold too!

We use our onboard, or hookup water for everything else, never a problem healthwise from using it.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Personally I have yet to find a bottled water that tastes as good as my home water. Flushed out the pink stuff rinse a couple times and start drinking. Yesterday the other 1/2 comes out and says the water tastes good.
Case closed
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #28

We did boats for over 30 years. Sanitized once in the spring then used the dock water for everything. Never had a problem with illness and always found the tanks to be clean in the fall when winterizing.
On the RV I do the same...a sanitize to start the season then off we go. No problems so far. The world has gone crazy with the bottled water thing!
BTW..we also have a Pentek 2500 RO system I the RV which is an effective sanitizer as well. Big on boats.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water