Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #1

Wink On Board Fresh Water Tank

Most all motorhome and travel trailer have an onboard fresh water tank and there has been a lot of discussion concerning sanitizing it. I have had a couple of friends and members of our own family say that they don't drink the water and only use it to bath or to use the bathroom. I guess my question is how many of us use our tanks for drinking water mostly. When we are traveling I fill up the tank, 100 gallons, to use on the road. If we are only going for a week or so we use the fresh water down to 1/3 tank then draw water to drink then hook up to city water. But if we are going for an extended stay, 2 months or more, we only use the water until we get to where we are going then turn off the pump and hook up to the city water. We keep the water from home,we have a deep well with a good filter system, for drinking. I use the tank drain to catch gallon jugs a couple at a time. Is this common among most RV'ers or is it just my crazy way of thinking? I am interested in what most are thinking.
Harry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bottled water for drinking and cooking. Coach water tank for bathing, toilet, etc.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #3

I use our tank water for everything. Drinking, bathing,cooking etc
Ranger Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #4

This coming from a guy who as a kid would drink creek water next to his dog, (water back then in Northern Minnesota was a lot cleaner than it is now), this was followed by 28 years in the Military drinking lots of questionable liquid, from questionable sources. I winterize a few different times a year as I use my coach pretty much year round, it has seen it's fair share of antifreeze, and has been cleaned/sanitized dozens of times and has water drawn from many different sources. I'd drink from it in a pinch but it would have to be bore of need, not desire.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #5

Always use the water out of the tank for everything - but of course we wouldn't normally fill up from an untrusted source such as lake or river unless I added a dose of liquid bleach as I refilled the tank. Have picked up water from lots of sources in lots of countries and have yet to have a problem caused by drinking the water on board.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Use it for everything, but then I put a whole house filter on the incoming water and fill the tank from it. Never leave water sitting in the tank for more than a week or so either and sanitize by adding a cup of bleach to a full tank (60 gal.) if not getting city water.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #7

Sanitize the tank twice a year(common bleach), filter all water coming into the fresh water tank and we use an under the counter filter for dispensing drinking/cooking water. Haven't experienced any ill effects in four years. No bottled water on board.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Bottled water for drinking and cooking. Coach water tank for bathing, toilet, etc.
^^^^ This is the common for the educated person.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
You have it backwards......

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
^^^^ This is the common for the educated person.
How about "Carrying bottled water" is for the un-educated person..., that does not know how to sanitize his "fresh water" system, and keep it clean coming in by means of the proper filtering......After all....it is called a Fresh Water System
Old 05-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
How about "Carrying bottled water" is for the un-educated person..., that does not know how to sanitize his "fresh water" system, and keep it clean coming in by means of the proper filtering......After all....it is called a Fresh Water System
Correct.....Plenty good for a 15 year old horse rig to drink!
Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have drank from a few questionable sources too. But in the MH i don't want any questions , so I keep the fresh tank clean and sanitize when necessary and refill from trusted sources . I will drink from the MH tank and so do the dogs although not from the same bowl. I do keep some bottled water for ' plan B' .
Old 05-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #12

Depending on the available water supply, one may not have a choice but to carry bottle water. Of course some of us don't live in RV parks. Educated, maybe not the right statement to use.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

We use the water from the fresh water tank (which comes from our well) and use city water that is filtered by whole house filter for everything. The whole house filter does a fantastic job as I use the Charcoal element. The drinking water has it's own filter and separate faucet.

I don't believe in bottled water as most of it comes from open reservoirs.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #14

Bottled water for drinking and tank water for cooking and bathing. Will drink tank water in a pinch. We use bottled water at home for drinking so I'll bring a jug and I have a pump that goes on it so it doesn't make a mess. We use a Sodastream system for soda so we don't have all the empty plastic bottles. Use the jug water for that.

bluie5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water