Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #1

On Finding a caregiving/driver job

A few people know me, not well here, but I have been here, and originally, the plan was for me to be a caregiver for a disabled veteran. We are both female and about the same age (I am 60, she is 56). We planned to travel together, I would do the driving, cook, clean (especially make sure she took her meds and ate well, I am into nutrition as well as fitness). She had the money to get us started with a motorhome, and I would earn my way, plus, there may have been some government pay for me as a caregiver.

She met and moved in with a guy back East so there went our "gypsy" plan. We were just going to do it for a year (maybe less) to see how we did together.

I am posting to ask if anyone here might know of someone that would like to RV, has a motorhome, but needs someone to drive for them, as well as work for them as I mentioned in the above? Someone that needs/wants a companion. I have a clean driving record, no splotches whatsoever, clean background, and many, good references. I won't go on about all I do such as hobbies, etc. because this will look too much like an ad and I know that isn't right in this area of the forum. There isn't a place to look for work as a caregiver/companion I don't think.

Anyway, I just don't forsee me ever having the ways and means to travel (financially and securely on my own) but I just feel there must be someone out there that wants to do this, but they can't go because they need someone as well. I am open to ideas, thoughts, feedback, as well as discouragement which sometimes unintentionally happens if you ask for help in figuring out how you can "live" your dream.

I don't know if it would make a difference, but I am a christian woman, I don't smoke and I don't drink. I'm not a perfect angel, but I have high moral standards. I pay my way, have always.

Ok, I'll put this out there and pray for the best. I really don't want to stay here and go to school another year. I can, and got a 3.6 GPA last year, but sitting in an office, 9-5 is not my idea of living. I want to be out there, meeting people, seeing new places, and really, the best part would be helping someone so they don't have to be couped up either!

Denise
nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Denise,

Don't know if it would work, but here is a thread that I thought of when reading your post...this and the other posts from "markwho40."

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f98/any-t...ns-146128.html

I am no expert, but I thought "companion/caregiver needed" would be a good part of a signature block for this forum user.

Best of luck in your quest and God Bless
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Denise,

Don't know if it would work, but here is a thread that I thought of when reading your post...this and the other posts from "markwho40."

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f98/any-t...ns-146128.html

I am no expert, but I thought "companion/caregiver needed" would be a good part of a signature block for this forum user.

Best of luck in your quest and God Bless
Hi Steve and Kim, what did you mean about "signature block" for forum user? I just didn't quite understand? But thank you for your reply I really think this could work if I could meet the right people, network you know? There is so much I could provide in the way of help for someone, as well as just be a friend That seems so much more fulfilling then working behind a desk the rest of my life Denise
Old 09-01-2013, 02:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
Hi Steve and Kim, what did you mean about "signature block" for forum user? I just didn't quite understand? But thank you for your reply I really think this could work if I could meet the right people, network you know? There is so much I could provide in the way of help for someone, as well as just be a friend That seems so much more fulfilling then working behind a desk the rest of my life Denise
I have a friend who is looking for a gentleman who owns an RV already... there needs to be a forum somewhere online for folks like you and her who don't have an RV but would love to be someone's traveling companion and to share the expenses, or be a paid "help" and companion to someone disabled. Not just posts stuck in related forums that will drop to the bottom and be quickly forgotten. Unfortunately some people seem to see this kind of thing as matchmaking or a dating service.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
jpf

Gulf Streamers Club
that's because life traveling in an RV is intimate, to say the least.
failing to even acknowledge that aspect of what you are suggesting is like avoiding 'that big elephant' in the room.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
The signature block is a short message that auto-fills at the bottom of your posts that includes a greeting, info about you or your RV...or anything you might want to say.

See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/profile.php?do=editsignature

And ours is below
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf View Post
that's because life traveling in an RV is intimate, to say the least.
failing to even acknowledge that aspect of what you are suggesting is like avoiding 'that big elephant' in the room.
Lot's of people give care and companionship without any problems. It's not easy to find a good situation, but I believe they are out there. I wish there were more good places to put ads as well, but I see nothing wrong with my post.

thank you Steve, Kim and RanCarr, Denise
Old 09-02-2013, 03:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Lot's of people give care and companionship without any problems.
Indeed they do. In NYC where apts are as small, even smaller than many RVs, people have live-ins. Many even have roommates because the rent is so high. Each finds their own space and all is well. I think when most people hear "traveling companion" they think of dating, sex, marriage... entanglements of that kind. Not just simple companionship, or care-taking.

Quote:
It's not easy to find a good situation, but I believe they are out there. I wish there were more good places to put ads as well, but I see nothing wrong with my post.

thank you Steve, Kim and RanCarr, Denise
Good luck on your search. I hope you find what you are looking for... and consider starting a free group on Facebook of people like yourself and those looking for traveling companions. There are many RV groups on Facebook so people are going there as well as these forums.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Indeed they do. In NYC where apts are as small, even smaller than many RVs, people have live-ins. Many even have roommates because the rent is so high. Each finds their own space and all is well. I think when most people hear "traveling companion" they think of dating, sex, marriage... entanglements of that kind. Not just simple companionship, or care-taking.

Good luck on your search. I hope you find what you are looking for... and consider starting a free group on Facebook of people like yourself and those looking for traveling companions. There are many RV groups on Facebook so people are going there as well as these forums.
Thanks RC I know something will work out. It may not be RVing but something will be a good fit for me I also have some ideas about just living on the Oregon Coast if I can't travel. I love it there and know it well. Grew up spending a lot of time there. Maybe that is where I am meant to be

Hope to talk to you again sometime Denise

Tags
driver