Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #1

On-site camping at Car Shows...any suggestions?

My husband and I have classic cars and attend 3 car shows a year that offer on-site camping. Syracuse Nationals, NY: Harrington, DE and Bloomsburg, PA. We really enjoy the convenience of not having to drive to and from the show and for me it's a plus because my husband can socialize with the car buffs while I relax or work at the MH. Best of both worlds....

Any other suggestions...? Not making the request geographically specific as other camping/car show enthusiasts might benefit from the information.

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #2

Stowe Vt antique/classic car show every August. Gold Brook Campground is right next to or part of the event. Nice town to visit as well.
Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
My husband and I have classic cars and attend 3 car shows a year that offer on-site camping. Syracuse Nationals, NY: Harrington, DE and Bloomsburg, PA. We really enjoy the convenience of not having to drive to and from the show and for me it's a plus because my husband can socialize with the car buffs while I relax or work at the MH. Best of both worlds....

Any other suggestions...? Not making the request geographically specific as other camping/car show enthusiasts might benefit from the information.

Kim
Must be time for sleep. I am missing what you are looking for.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Must be time for sleep. I am missing what you are looking for.
I thought it was just me! To the OP, we have boondocked at car shows and racetracks for years and enjoyed every minute. As you noted, DH can do his thing while DW can choose where/how she spends her time.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I also enjoy camping at the venue that hosts the car show. First year we went we stayed at a private CG about 5 miles from the event. Thereafter, I made reservations to be close. '50 Crosley at the national meet Wauseon, OH.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0016.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	114672
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #6

There are venues that offer camping on-site with hookups. The three that I listed offer 2 or 3 point hook-ups. Camping on-site allows me the flexibility to walk back and forth from MH to Car without leaving the venue. FYI: the car shows that we attend attract 1000+ RV's. I am simply looking for venues that offer this convenience.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
There are venues that offer camping on-site with hookups. The three that I listed offer 2 or 3 point hook-ups. Camping on-site allows me the flexibility to walk back and forth from MH to Car without leaving the venue. FYI: the car shows that we attend attract 1000+ RV's. I am simply looking for venues that offer this convenience.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #8

The Keeneland Concours d'Elegance, in Lexington, KY, allows entrants to dry camp at the site. We usually have 6 or more RV's parking with the trailers and transporters.

Keeneland Concours d'Elegance
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #9

I go to NSRA Rocky Mountain Nationals (Pueblo, CO) and camp at the fairgrounds. Nothing fancy, just a giant asphalt parking lot. Some sites are elec/water only, others have elec/water/sewer. But it is nice to be at the show location.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #10

Iola Classic Car Show in Iola, WI. 1,600 sites at south entrance. Basically dry camping with showers and water spigots available. Iola campground also available.
becken6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I too was going to answer
"Yes, do it !", but wasn't sure what IT was from original post

Best thing to do is call the car show and get recommendations, then verify with google, rvparkreviws.com, etc...
Old 12-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #12

You missed the point... We want to camp on-site at the Car Show...not close by! I guess you have to be a Car Show enthusiast and RV'er to get it!
Old 12-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #13

I looked at the site and it looks like a nice show. Unfortunately it overlaps with Syracuse Nationals.

Thanks for the response.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:18 AM   #14

There are two basic types of car "Shows". A Concours d'Elegance is where cars are first nominated, then the accepted ones are judged. The cars tend more toward "original", and have some classes for much older cars. "Classic" in the concours world means the car is listed by the Classic Car Club of America. Some people call concours more snooty, but this isn't really the case. As with the concours I help plan, I suspect most others also only allow entrants to camp (but it never hurts to ask, and we could possibly accommodate a "camping spectator".

A more common Car Show tends to be more casual and may not even have pre-registration. These shows have a wider variety of cars - ranging from original to custom, street rod, etc. and there are more of these events than concours. As the OP mentioned, they have found three that actually allow entrants to camp, and they are trying to find other shows.

Both formal Concours d'Elegance as well Car Shows are just places where car enthusiasts can gather so both can be enjoyable. A while back, I saw a website that listed all concours and car shows around the country. This might be a good place to find contact information that could indicate their camping policy.

Quote:
You missed the point... We want to camp on-site at the Car Show...not close by! I guess you have to be a Car Show enthusiast and RV'er to get it!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping