Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the road again

In a few days my DW and I will be leaving for Dover Delaware. Leaving from Canada by way of Maine and heading to Lancaster Pennsylvania and a few days in the land of the Amish. We are really looking forward to it. It will be nice to get away from business.
That all said - What route would you suggest to avoid the traffic around NY City and then on to Lancaster?

Has anyone stayed at the Old Mill Campground and if so what were your thoughts on it?

I can look at all the maps, gps routings, and googles, but nothing beats experience.

All that reply are invited to our summer campground in Saint Martins, New Brunswick. The cold Canadian beer and hot lobster are on us. I MEAN IT!!!

I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!!
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Cool......But what about in PA...If we bring the steaks...Can I still get the beer...We are looking for a spot this month to hang out. What is your time frame...Peace...D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have gone to Philly area over to the Valley Forge area sometimes twice a year ..
and through the NY / NYC area maybe 5 or 6 times a year for the last 40 years.

Stay clear of the George Washington bridge which is on 95 south. Always a pain.
I go to Trenton NJ and Philadelphia area two ways.

First if you want much longer but easier on the nerves and avoid all traffic:
Take 84 through Ct and through New York over the Newburgh bridge and on to Scranton, pick up 81 ... now you can go 476 down to 222 and into Lancaster.

Shortest route:
This is the way I go all the time.. but hit or miss on traffic jams etc...I take 84 west to 684, to 287/87and across the Tappanzee bridge. Then I pick up the garden state parkway south and pick up the New jersey turnpike. You can then take 276 to 76 west to 222.

Garden state is a toll road and tractor trailers are not allowed in some areas but motorhomes and campers are fine on it, just go slow through the toll booths if you go that way.

84 can be busy in connecticut at waterbury and danbury ct sometimes. 684 is a clear shot.
Tappanzee can be crowded sometimes, 287 is a little bumpy and has been under construction for years and years.. never ending lol Garden State in North Jersey is very crowded on holiday weekends or from 3 to 5 pm .. also in the early morning. I could say it's a crowded road all the time also but more crowded at the times above.. Fast multi lane traffic. I have traveled it at 2 am and it's been really busy ... where all the people come from I have no idea....
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Lake Placid/Whiteface Mtn. KOA Wilmington, New York
Send a message via AIM to grundon7 Send a message via Skype™ to grundon7
Easiest route is down to Boston by-pass Mass Pike to I-84 to I-81 lot's of campgrounds in Amish Country. Make sure to stop at exit 1 in NY and top off your tanks at the NJ fuel stops. We will be enjoying some of your lobsters this Mothers Day At Lake Placid KOA! Have a safe trip
grundon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:10 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Old Mill is a nice Campground in the heart of Amish Country. We have stayed there many times. When in the campgrounds ask the office to give you directions how to get to Dover, Delaware. We have gone to Delaware from the CG but not sure of Route numbers.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
AKIBASE

Can't help with routing, but wish we could help eat the lobsters and drink the beer.

Have a safe and wonderful trip, wish we were going.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
First if you want much longer but easier on the nerves and avoid all traffic:
Take 84 through Ct and through New York over the Newburgh bridge and on to Scranton, pick up 81 ... now you can go 476 down to 222 and into Lancaster.

We've been this route several times and avoided a lot of heavy city traffic. Check the conditions on I 81 before you go. I've seen some big pot holes in it. Hit a few too.

Dave
Old 05-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
This route allows you to miss all the toll roads. Major $'s otherwise just in tolls. Stop for fuel as suggested above. Significantly cheaper and easy on and off.
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
If you take the Tappen Zee bridge, the only recommendation I would make would be to stay on I-287 (pass the Garden State Parkway exit ) as it enters NJ and then take 287 to I-78 West.

You can then take I-78 into PA, turn south at Exit 29A (you'll see Cabelas) onto Rt. 61 South with will lead you right to Rt. 222 just north of Reading.

We live right off of I-78 Exit 11 in NJ so if you need to overnight somewhere quiet, give us a yell. We have a HUGE cul-de-sac that can easily hold 10 motorhomes.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just spotted the Dover DE destination, is this the first stop?

then you might be better off continuing on down the jersey turnpike via my shortest route suggestion. Or if money is not as much an object then you can continue to Cape May NJ on the garden state parkway and hook up with the cape may lewes ferry. I have a shore place in south jersey and use the ferry once or twice a year.. My last crossing (oct 2010)cost 93 dollars .. 47 feet in length with toad.
http://www.capemaylewesferry.com/Schedules-Fares

Other wise go for the delaware memorial bridge and then down to dover de. Going to Dover by way of Scranton is way way way out of the way lol.
You can avoid the tappanzee bridge if you prefer by going 84 across the newburgh bridge and then pick up the New York State Thruway south bound and then go onto the Garden state --- then either cut off at the Jersey Turnpike and go to the Delaware bridge or go on to the ferry by the parkway.

Garden State and NJ turnpike are Toll roads... same with the Penn Turnpike (76).
http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/toll-rates.html
http://www.paturnpike.com/toll/tollmileage.aspx
Tappenzee is no toll going southbound. There is a toll at the Delaware Memorial bridge.
New Jersey Turnpike is not too bad for traffic. Once you get out of North Jersey it is a relief... Philly area is crowded too though but not as bad as jersey and NY ... added Usually but philly can be a nightmare also.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote