Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #1

Question ONAN 5500 Generator tune up

I am doing a tune up on my 2006 Onan 5500 Gold Generator (spec D) mounted in a Fleetwood Flair. Two questions for anyone with experience or knowledge:
1. how did you get the rubber boots off? I can't seem to get enough leverage to pull them off. Is there a tool that will help?
2. Fuel filter: The Onan diagrams show a fuel filter before the fuel pump, which I don't seem to have. And they show a replacement tube for the fuel filter I do have just before the carb. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?
tom2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2016, 06:51 AM   #2

I would be sure to replace after pump fuel filter with a straight pipe.
The oem filter can look good but the upper seem can open up and dump a lot of gas on a hot running engine. My pre pump filter is under Gen. near oil filter.
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:14 AM   #3

Onan Marquis Gold 5500

My fuel pump was shutting down during the hot weather this weather so I just replaced it, the filter and the oil filter last month.

The fuel filter and the fuel pump are located underneath the generator on the left hand side. The filter was before the pump and very easy to remove. The pump on the other hand was not as easy due to the lack of slack fuel line. The darned crimp connector on the generator end of the pump was too close to the generator shelf so it was very difficult to work it off.

The oil and oil filter change easy peasy.

After the changes one quick push of the start button and it fired up great.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:57 AM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderjet View Post
I would be sure to replace after pump fuel filter with a straight pipe.
The oem filter can look good but the upper seem can open up and dump a lot of gas on a hot running engine. My pre pump filter is under Gen. near oil filter.
thanks...I watched the genny in operation yesterday and noticed the upper filter was leaking...not much...but enough to drip down the hose onto the ground. Will get the replacement pipe from Onan. thanks for the guidance.

And...finally got the boots off the spark plugs. After trying multiple solutions I wrapped a strap around them and leveraged them off...holding my breath that they wouldn't rip. I'll bet replacing the spark plug wires is a bear.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:00 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvik View Post
My fuel pump was shutting down during the hot weather this weather so I just replaced it, the filter and the oil filter last month.

The fuel filter and the fuel pump are located underneath the generator on the left hand side. The filter was before the pump and very easy to remove. The pump on the other hand was not as easy due to the lack of slack fuel line. The darned crimp connector on the generator end of the pump was too close to the generator shelf so it was very difficult to work it off.

The oil and oil filter change easy peasy.

After the changes one quick push of the start button and it fired up great.

thanks...did you get much fuel leakage when you made the switch? Do anything special to stop the flow while you made the swap? I think I need to replace that fuel hose...looks kind of sketchy. I think it is 1/4 inch inside ID?

Old 11-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #6

I also need to replace the fuel line leading to the fuel pump. Do you know what the round disk shaped item is to the left in the picture? And should it be replaced as well?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161119_122201.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	144831  
Old 11-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2500 View Post
I also need to replace the fuel line leading to the fuel pump. Do you know what the round disk shaped item is to the left in the picture? And should it be replaced as well?
I am not positive, but it looks like a check valve, I have never seen that before.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
I am not positive, but it looks like a check valve, I have never seen that before.
Yeah, dunno what it is. A previous coach had the 5500 and I don't recall seeing that item.

As for the fuel filter at carb, Onan makes a replacement for it that does away with the filtering iirc.

One note on the oil level. If not filled to the tippy top, the low oil sensor can erroneously trigger. This will cause unexpected shut down, and can occur when moving vs not moving.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #9

I didn't get much fuel leak at all when I did the swap. My fuel lines didn't need to be replaced but if you need to you could just take the old one to the local auto store and get a length that you need. Taking the old fuel filter might also help in identifying the right size but i suspect they'll know what you need.

I too didn't have that disc object shown in the pic...

With regards to the generator oil level, IIRC there isn't a dipstick on the plug to show min/max so I was prepared to just fill to the bottom of the threads in the filler hole. I also watched a youtube on the oil change and they said a liter of oil so I let it drain for a long time then dumped a new liter in.

I just used SAE 30 for the pacific northwest.....no snow on the southern island normally.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
It's a lawnmower fuel filter. Cheap one. Someone didn't want to spend the money and installed a splice hose and that filter
Old 11-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #11

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
It's a lawnmower fuel filter. Cheap one. Someone didn't want to spend the money and installed a splice hose and that filter
thanks..I was baffled. I thought it might be a check valve of some sort, but it seems no one else has one. So, it would appear I can just delete it as I need to replace the hose anyway?
Old 11-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
You need to install a correct filter in it. They have removed filter on the carb and left the one on the fuel pump
The one on the carb will leak that's why it was removed.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #13

I would replace the fuel line section in that photo--the right side appears to be snugged so much the rubber and fabric will be compromised.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:46 AM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I would replace the fuel line section in that photo--the right side appears to be snugged so much the rubber and fabric will be compromised.
RIP to the 09 Lariat!

Cummins wanted to sell me the fuel line in sections; I am assuming I can go to an Auto parts store and buy suitable rubber fuel line. Should it be armored or wrapped in a protective material? Should I use any sort of thread blocker or tape on the end of the fuel filter barb?

Tags
generator, onan