Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

onan 5500 gold with 297 hrs

This is my 1st post on this forum, so please bear with me. I have cleaned out my carb real good, and this is what is whats going on.
When I 1st start the gen. i let it run for 3-5 minutes before i kick on the air. When i kick it on my gen dies out.
So it turn off the air , re-start it and turn it back on for the 2nd time , and it stays running after that.
Ive changed the air filter fuel filter , but not the plugs yet.
I just dont think it could be the plugs , cause it starts and runs with no missing at all.
Anyone have any thoughts about this little gremlin i have ?
thanks for any help
this is in a toy hauler with the generator in the front and the fuel station in the rear of the camper
Have pleny fuel and it is fresh
lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
This is my 1st post on this forum, so please bear with me. I have cleaned out my carb real good, and this is what is whats going on.
When I 1st start the gen. i let it run for 3-5 minutes before i kick on the air. When i kick it on my gen dies out.
So it turn off the air , re-start it and turn it back on for the 2nd time , and it stays running after that.
Ive changed the air filter fuel filter , but not the plugs yet.
I just dont think it could be the plugs , cause it starts and runs with no missing at all.
Anyone have any thoughts about this little gremlin i have ?
thanks for any help
this is in a toy hauler with the generator in the front and the fuel station in the rear of the camper
Have pleny fuel and it is fresh
Plugs can function fine when not under load and then fail when a load is applied but I'm not convinced your problem is spark plugs.

Your generator should be completely serviced about every 100 hours. Do you know if it was professionally serviced, ever? I would take it to the shop for a complete checkout.

One other thought: Your AC compressor builds up pressure when running and starting it before the pressure bleeds off can cause damage and/or cause it to draw a huge electrical load as it attempts to cycle. Are you running the AC, then shutting it down and trying to start the Gen immediately?
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #3

thanks for the quick reply.
This happens only on my 1st start up. I do shut the ac off and let the gen run a while before cutiing it off
After that , when i restart the gen and kick the ac on it does not kill and runs perfect.
Its only on my 1st start up when the gen dies out . Its like my govenor is not kicking up to compensate for the load.
Again, after the 2nd time It seems to kick up and run fine.
thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
thanks for the quick reply.
This happens only on my 1st start up. I do shut the ac off and let the gen run a while before cutiing it off
After that , when i restart the gen and kick the ac on it does not kill and runs perfect.
Its only on my 1st start up when the gen dies out . Its like my govenor is not kicking up to compensate for the load.
Again, after the 2nd time It seems to kick up and run fine.
thanks
I assume you wait for the power to come on, meaning you see the lights on the microwave or TV come on before starting the A/C. It takes my gen (same unit you have) almost a minute to spool up to usable voltage. I wait until I see the microwave lights come on before I tap into the 120v.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Having the same generator I would let it warm up for a few minutes before hammering it with a sudden heavy load.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
I assume you wait for the power to come on, meaning you see the lights on the microwave or TV come on before starting the A/C. It takes my gen (same unit you have) almost a minute to spool up to usable voltage. I wait until I see the microwave lights come on before I tap into the 120v.
The voltage on the two Onan generators I have had comes up in a few seconds but the transfer switch delays the connection to allow the generator time to stabilize.

I wonder if you are seeing a transfer switch delay that is a little longer than normal.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OP. Sounds like you are losing 12VDC to the generator fuel pump when the AC is initially starting. I've reread your post and did not see anything about breakers tripping, so it sounds like the engine is being starved of fuel. Verify that your converter is charging the coach batteries before the next inital start. If DC power is only coming from the converter, a large voltage drop could cause the converter output to disappear. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It sounds like the automatic choke is not closing fast enough when you put the generator under load while it is still relatively cold. Try letting it warm up for a couple extra minutes or so before you turn the a/c on.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #9

onan 5500 carb problems

Thanks for all of you guys help.
I just want to let everyone know, that i brought my camper to a guy in my hometown of lafayette la. , and he is known as the
"Oanan Man".
I had tore down my carb twice because i let it sit to long and of course ot gummed up with varnish.
I would spray it with carb cleaner and blow air thru the jets.
I dropped it off to him yesterday am and he called me around 2pm and said you can come pick it up , it is ready.
When i got there , i couldnt wait to ask him what he found.
He said the carb was still blocked up some and he takes them off and soaks them in a strong solution for a few hours.
Puts them back together and makes the fine tune adjustments .
That is the reason when i would put on the A/C it would kill my genny.
It would run perfect without a load , but he said when you put a load, that it was starving for fuel.
Hope this helps someone else that is having the same problems.
thanks again for everyones help.
This mans name is Murphy and has been working on Onans 20 plus years.

Tags
onan