Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Onan Auto Start

I'm considering installing a Onan 30W hard wired auto start on a gas 4000 gen set. Anyone have experience with this set up. Are you happy with the product. Regards, Clare

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #2

Do you currently have a Magnum inverter system? If so you can replace the remote control with the ME-RC Remote Control and add the ME-AGS-N for less money and easier installation. I did that to my system 2 years ago and have never used it.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Now I have some home work to do. I'm not sure what inverter I have and the MH is in storage, so will have to go check. The part about having it for 2 years with out using it sounds very familiar, sure good my wife doesn't read this. Thanklls for the quick reply, regards, Clare
Old 03-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Just went on line to check out magnum system, and no I do not have that. My system is the stock 45 amp convertor/charger, with 1000 watt invertor. It is in a 2012 class C Winnebago Aspect. I wanted it to keep the batteries up when the furnace is running during the night.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caisert View Post
Just went on line to check out magnum system, and no I do not have that. My system is the stock 45 amp convertor/charger, with 1000 watt invertor. It is in a 2012 class C Winnebago Aspect. I wanted it to keep the batteries up when the furnace is running during the night.
Try running your heater one night and see how far down the battery goes. In four years we've only had to use the MH engine to charge the house batt to start the genie one time and it only took 3-5 min. A lot of variables will play into this senereo (sp), how cold, one or both heaters, ambien temp, inside temp, We keep the bedroom thermostat set on 65 and then warm up the front of the coach after we get up. If you look it up, the heater draws 9 amps so that's 9amp/hr every hour when the heater is running. Your house batt should be at least a 600 amp/hr capacity, so a fully charged batt should run the heater for 77+ hrs. Now that 77+ time doesn't count the down time when the heater isn't running.

Now you can see why "pcurt23" has never used his system. The rv parts salesman is going to tell you that you can't live without it, but his job is to SELL.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The truth is I probably have a little spring fever, and wanted another toy. I'm now convinced I don't need it, but that doesn't mean I won't go get it. Very much appreciate the feed back. I love this site, saves me lots of time and head ache, and gives me hours of entertainment. Safe travels everyone, Clare
Old 03-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Clare:
I installed the EC-30 in my 2008 Cambria. I put it beside the Winnebago control panel close to the existing generator start switch. You will need to run sense leads to the chassis battery, wiring to the thermostat and pick up in the immediate vicinity - the generator wiring and a 12v source. I wired the safety to a side marker light. I would suggest you spend several hours planning to see where you will pickup the proper leads easily. As long as you can read the Winn wiring diagrams, it is not difficult as every wire has a alpha designation as to what it is.
You also need to buy separately the socket with attached 12" wiring harness to plug the EC-30 into. Took about 3 hours to actually install it and I ran the sense wire to the chassis battery under the coach with existing wiring.
You will find it very handy in the summer if you have pets as you can set it to turn on the generator when the thermostat calls for air conditioning. We also use it in the winter to insure the furnace doesn't deplete the batteries at night. You can download the installation instructions from the Onan site to understand what is required.
bobmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you Bob. That's exactly the info I needed. I did download the installation manual to see what kind of a job it would be. Thanks again, regards, Clare

Tags
onan