Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

Onan diesel Generator fuel code 36

Hello all! I'm new here so, please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong section. I've got an Onan model 12hdkcd diesel generator that has been giving me some troubles. Sometimes it runs for 36 hours straight, other times, it may run for 15 minutes and shuts off.. I'm getting a fuel code 36. I took it to Cummins in Nashville Tn and, after letting it run for a total of 16 hours or so, it finally quit on them. They "thought" it was the fuel pump. A new pump was put in and I was sent on my way... 30 minutes down the road and it was doing it again. This weekend we had our rig out and it ran great for 20hrs, then it started shutting off. Doesn't matter if it's under a load or not. Now, I'm making my way back to Nashville and It doesn't want to stay running at all. It is intermittent and frustrating. If anyone has any ideas what to check before I send her back into cummins would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Jimhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Google is your friend...

ONAN Starts/Quits/Code 36 - General - RVAmerica.com

Onan Code 36 -Solved! - General - RVAmerica.com

https://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorh...-run-fuel.html
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone change the fuel filter? Or check fuel flow from tank?

LEN
Old 09-04-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jim! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't be any help on the genny! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #5

Yeah man, I googled the hell out of it and while the symptoms are similar, the solution doesn't be seem to be the same. Like I said, I've had it at cummins for the repair and the replaced a fuel pump that wasn't the issue.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Anyone change the fuel filter? Or check fuel flow from tank?

LEN
When the problem first started a few months back, I had just put a brand new fuel filter on. So, I switched it out immediately. Did not fix the problem. Tomorrow, I am going to check fuel flow from the line. I am starting to thing something is clogging the line.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Pull the fuel in line and draw fuel straight from a fuel can and if all is well you have a fuel line issue. Blow it out with an air hose.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #8

UPDATE: Pulled the fuel lines out and checked everything, The brand new Fuel pump was pumping just fine. Then, it stopped pumping completely. Keep in mind, this pump is only 3 weeks old with only 100 hrs on it. We pulled out the PCB and it looks as though one of the capacitors has blown . So, For temporary fix, I've installed a three was switch to the fuel pump. 1 is off, 2 goes through the PCBm and three is just a direct on to the pump. works while I find the best price on one of these boards. the ones for my Gen are pretty darn pricey.

So, that seems to be the problem/fix for now. Taking it out for the nest 4 days so I hope she stays running. The downside is I paid Cummins (too much for a simple pump) to fix the problem and all they did was replace a pump that was working just fine.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #9

onan 12hdk runability issues

Jim-

I have the same/similar generator and am having similar issues...I have replaced the fuel lift pump, filter, relays, oil pressure switch, changed the oil/filter, blown out the exhaust sensor, etc. and appear to have good flowing diesel from the tank. When running, its sounds fine. However, it will bobble and then gets shut off per the code 36 warning because it fell below the minimum rpm. Does not give any other codes. Problem has now gotten worse to the point it will only run for a few minutes before shutting off with same error code.

If you don't mind, what type and year coach? What is the "PCB" and where to look at it? Did you find another?

Mine is a 2008 travel supreme limited with 1200 hours on the gen set. Up until 2017, the thing never skipped a beat even with 3 ac units running along with other items in 100 degree heat for hours/days on end. However, over the last year we have been chasing our tail on this issue and neither the wife nor dog are very happy when the AC does not work in the summer... You know you have a problem when the dog is unhappy!
Mmcnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #10

Hey Mmcnw,
I too have this problem.
Generator has trouble staying running. It might start and run for a couple seconds, barely turn over 1 time, or run for several minutes before I shut it down. I just replaced the fuel pump.
When it does decide to stay running I am not getting any voltage output.
I get code 45 and 36 sometimes.
Any luck on your end?
I too am wondering where the control board is.
directorsusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #11

Nothing yet - have you tried replacing your fuel pump relay?
Mmcnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:09 PM   #12

code 36

Mine is doing the exact same thing and setting code 36. Did anyone ever figure it out?
TFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #13

Onan diesel Generator fuel code 36

Hello, I have an Onan 55oo gas generator and have gone through all the different possible problems. Replaced the fuel line, checked to see if fuel was bad, replaced the fuel filter, rebuilt the carburetor all with no good results. I then replaced the carburetor and she purred like a kitten. So my advice to you is, spend $60 and replace the carburetor.
timeforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Diesel generator doesn't have a carburetor !

Tags
diesel, fuel, generator, onan