Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #1

Onan Generator Rebuild

Any idea what it cost to get a gas 7KW generator rebuilt? Current owner thinks that the rings are bad, but who knows. Just want to have an idea of what to expect.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2019, 09:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Any idea what it cost to get a gas 7KW generator rebuilt? Current owner thinks that the rings are bad, but who knows. Just want to have an idea of what to expect.
It isn't worth the hassle, If the rings are worn so is the rest of the engine and generator, You will be fixing this thing every month for the rest of it's life. New one is $5000. Buy a new one.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:29 PM   #3

Located where, and how many hours on it? Unless they weren't doing any maintenance on it, the rings should be just fine.
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #4

Not many hours on it. Owner thinks lack of use and bad gas caused problems. I haven't seen /heard /diagnosed it . Just trying to determine what to offer on the RV of I decide to move forward with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Located where, and how many hours on it? Unless they weren't doing any maintenance on it, the rings should be just fine.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Not many hours on it. Owner thinks lack of use and bad gas caused problems. I haven't seen /heard /diagnosed it . Just trying to determine what to offer on the RV of I decide to move forward with it.
Well if it is hard to start and hard to keep running, 90% chance that it is the carburetor that needs replacement and nothing else. The problem is the ethanol fuel. If the engine isn't run DRY when put into storage, the fuel will evaporate and leave these white chalky deposits everywhere and once that happens... The choices are mechanically cleaning (shoving wires through the ports, etc) or outright replacement of the carb.

Conveniently, Onan designed this generator with an easy-to-access carb, that is also designated as "non serviceable" so you get to spend the $300 to replace it every time it cokes up with these deposits. Yes, I'm dealing with the same problem on another Onan 7kw gas, and have reached the point where replacement is likely the only fix. I've gotten it running with really good fuel, but I have to hold the choke partly closed b/c one of the passages must still be plugged.
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #6

Do a compression test on each cylinder. If they are low, do a "leak down" test. Intake/exhaust valve far out of adjustment will show low compression.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
It isn't worth the hassle, If the rings are worn so is the rest of the engine and generator, You will be fixing this thing every month for the rest of it's life. New one is $5000. Buy a new one.
2X small generators are not worth rebuilding, parts will cost almost as much as a new one.
Wcordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcordes View Post
2X small generators are not worth rebuilding, parts will cost almost as much as a new one.
3x

I can provide a list of thing that cost $300 for the part if you can install it.

Knocked off $1000 on the first MH because the Onan did not work. It had low hours but fuel problems. Ran fine with a rigged fuel tank after a lot of Seafoam to clean the carb.

Second MH has high hours. I have replaced the voltage regulator. It does not like large load changed like the microwave. It could be the the speed regulator or valve adjustment (inaccessible).

I have decided the next $300 part will go towards a new generator.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:31 AM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll just plan on a new one, should the purchase go thru.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll just plan on a new one, should the purchase go thru.
Generally from a negotiating stand point.

Buyer. "If it does not work during the shake-down run and you can not or do not want to fix it easily. It is a total write off."

Seller: "Its something simple but I dont want to spend the money/time as I am selling."

Buyer: "Then you take the risk and make it work properly or take the price of a replacement off the deal."
Old 02-20-2019, 09:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post

Buyer: "Then you take the risk and make it work properly or take the price of a replacement off the deal."
Seller: "You will have a new generator instead of a used one that could break anytime. How about meeting in the middle."
Old 02-24-2019, 07:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Put a new carb on.
Mrbitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Seller: "You will have a new generator instead of a used one that could break anytime. How about meeting in the middle."
EXACTLY!
Negotiating is becoming a lost art.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #14

On my old 98 Georgie Boy the generator would not keep running so I eventually replaced the carburetor ($200 on eBay) and it now starts with a single push of the button. It involved about 4 bolts and screws and took about 20 minutes total. Onan carburetors are known (if you let them sit) to gum up and once gummed up you might as well replace them.

I also run my generator when traveling that way I keep hours on it.

Rich
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan, rebuild