Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #1

Onan Genset 5000

We recently parked over night and our Onan Emerald plus 5000 ran great. the next night when I push the start button I just hear click noise . Any help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A single click or repeated clicking?

The most likely cause for either one is a low battery - insufficient power to start the generator. A continuous clicking is almost surely that; a single click could be that or a problem in the starter circuit itself. If its a single click only, try using the starter on the genset itself rather than the remote switch inside the RV.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #3

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntraveler View Post
We recently parked over night and our Onan Emerald plus 5000 ran great. the next night when I push the start button I just hear click noise . Any help
Do you mean that you are in the same location where you parked the first night, or you drove somewhere else and parked for the next night?

The only reason I am asking is that if you stayed in the same place, maybe you were using some things that caused your batteries to run low.

I also assume you don't have access to shore power. If you have not driven the coach since parking for the first night, and you don't have access to shore power, you may simply want to start your coach engine and recharge the batteries. You could then try to start the generator, even with the coach running.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try starting the coach, let it run for a little while and then try starting the generator
Old 03-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #5

Gen Set

I checked the house batteries which is good . I checked positive and negative cables to Gen Set which is good. Push Gen Set button at the generator and get one click noise . Thanks
Old 03-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had this happen on my old trailer. I found it was a bad ground cable, it had rotted from inside out (looked good from the out side). I tested the resistance, it failed, put on a new cable and all was well.

I hope you figure it out, and good luck!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntraveler View Post
I checked the house batteries which is good . I checked positive and negative cables to Gen Set which is good. Push Gen Set button at the generator and get one click noise . Thanks
John,

Good luck. No more ideas here. I am surprised that you have not had more response yet. There are several other senior members that should be able to at least point you in the right direction.... Maybe they will give you a response soon.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree with DDDonkey, it sounds like a bad ground, either wire or connection.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If batteries are good and all cables tight and in good shape, I would then check the starter. Do you here a good clunk like the starter great is kicking out and making contact with the flywheel or do you just here a click?
Old 03-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #10

Get a volt meter and measre from the battery cable connection on the generator to a shiny spot on the generator.

This checks both hot and ground connections.

If it drops move ground to chassis and retest, if still dropps then work on hot lead.

If does not drop then locate starter motor

Look for the input to the motor, should be large wire, this wire should go hot when you hear the click.

It it does the starter is bad...whack it with a hammer and see if it goes...brushes stick sometimes and this may make it work for now.

If it does not follow wire towards battery and check at first device which shoukd be selenoid...it shoukd be making the click sound.

Should have 2 large wires with one always hot fro battery and other gets hot on click.

If it does not replace selenoid.

You also can use a jumper cable to connect the input to output but not suggested if you are not sure what you are doing there.

Tags
onan