Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Onan genset fault codes

I have an Onan 5500 Marquis Gold genset in my 2007 5th wheel. I spent $ 867.00 on it prior to my last trip for a carburetor and service. It worked great on the whole trip. Now that I am back home it doesn't want to start and is giving me a fault code of 47. My manual says a fault code 47 is " Controller unable to sense ignition". I don't want to have to carry it back to that shop again as it is about 85 miles form home and high priced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lee&rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee&rita View Post
I have an Onan 5500 Marquis Gold genset in my 2007 5th wheel. I spent $ 867.00 on it prior to my last trip for a carburetor and service. It worked great on the whole trip. Now that I am back home it doesn't want to start and is giving me a fault code of 47. My manual says a fault code 47 is " Controller unable to sense ignition". I don't want to have to carry it back to that shop again as it is about 85 miles form home and high priced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Contact Cummins and see if you can order a service manual. You may simply have a loose or corroded connection, or bad ground.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's the manual....

http://power.cummins.com/sites/defau.../F-1123-EN.pdf
Old 10-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Onan fault code

Thanks I will look at that service manual.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:51 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
This is a great resource. I hope everyone in this thread downloads a copy. Will come in handy helping folks, if not ones self, in the future.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 11-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Fault Codes for Onan genset

Thanks to everyone who posted back to me on this topic. I have traded my 5th wheel for a motorhome so problem solved for now.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who posted back to me on this topic. I have traded my 5th wheel for a motorhome so problem solved for now.
HaHa...Well that's one way to solve the problem.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The RV Generator Handbook linked above is a very handy manual, but it is NOT the "service manual" for the 5500 or any other Onan. The service manuals provide much more detail and diagnostic help specific to a model.

One inexpensive source for Onan service manuals is Ebay. The manuals for most Onan models are available on CD for around $10 or in paper for around $15. See Onan Generator Manuals | eBay
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Now, that is the way to fix a problem problem! I kinda did the same thing when I bought this rig. Only difference was we had more issues than time to fix them and be able to still be on the road. Welcome the the land of coach RVing! You will now be learning how to deal with a whole new set of pleasures and problems. I do hope you have many more of the first and few of the latter.

Happy trails,
Rick Y

Tags
onan