Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #1

Onan Quiet Diesel 7500 Oil Change Interval

Hello all. I have a onan quiet diesel 7500 that now has almost 2800 trouble free hours on it. Uses absolutely zero oil between changes and when the oil is changed around 150 hrs it's never sooty and staining to your skin, just a little black, nowhere close to what I drain out of machines at work that are diesel on their 100 hr changes. Anyways this genny has been run on a multitude of different oils from rotella, delo, delvac, and now kawasaki semi synthetic cj-4 oil. The oil is made by motul which is a spectacular oil. We have severAL customers mules and mowers that come in with 4-5k hrs on them and this is the oil they run also. I use this oil because it's free. It's by far the cleanest when it's changed out of all the oils the genny has ran. I was thinking about extending the oil change to 200 hrs instead of the reccomended 150 hrs. We do alot of cookoffs and it doesn't take aNY time to rack up hrs on a oil change, but I can get an extra weekend wit 50 more hrs. Anyone do this? I'm changing my oil tomorrow at work and will send in a sample to Blackstone at 150 hrs to see what they say.
53block is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 11:27 PM   #2

I am not sure I would go beyond the 150hr oil change. While you may not be seeing what all has accumulated in the oil, there is 'junk' in it. Beside what would be saving by going to 200hrs compared to replacing the engine in the generator. I do a 'hard time' change at 150hrs. Oil sampling will help and that could be used as guidance.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If you rack up 150 hours in a short calendar timeframe, I see no problem extending the interval a bit. Oil deterioration is as much from time (condensation moisture, acid formation, etc) as running (soot and such). However, I would not extend the hour interval beyond seasonal boundaries, i.e. across two usage seasons. Dirty oil that has had several months of non-use to deteriorate further seems like an unacceptable risk to me when a genset oil change is cheap anyway.

An oil analysis is the way to confirm that you are still good at 150 hours.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #4

RTFM...

What does the manual indicate?

It should have suggestions based ib types of duty cycle.

Assuming oil is newer than manual you may wish to contact the manufacturer with your service records and see what they suggest.

They may suggest longer duration or other method for determining oil change interval.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #5

Based on your usage habits and your experience with similar machinery I'd have no trouble extending an extra 50 hours. I'm sure you know the greatest enemy of these generators is lack of use. I only get to use my MH maybe once a month, but I try to get a couple of hours on the generator (under load) at least every other week. When I drive it home to clean it or just do some general maintenance I don't plug it into the house, I run the gen with the AC or oven or portable heaters going. Try to keep it at least at 60% load.

Based on how you describe your oil I think 200 hrs is reasonable and this Benny should last at least another 2500 hrs. I hope mine does too!
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #6

You might consider a microgreen filter as it has a secondary internal filter that acts like a bypass that will catch anything floating around in there. I run one in my genset, autos, and RV.

Or - just add a small bypass system- that'll add a little more capacity to the system and really keep everything clean.

Blackstone will give you a great heads up on where you are at at 150 hours.

UD
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I change mine at 150 hours or close to it. I kind of figure 150 hours compares to a lot of miles - something like 150 hours at 60 mph would be 9000 miles if it were powering a vehicle down a highway.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies gentleman! I should have my oil samples in a couple days. Over the next few weeks I will sample it when we get another 150 hrs on it. A friend told me that he had over 10k hrs on his when it finally bit the dust. I hope I'm lucky
Old 04-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #9

After a conversation with Cummins and a couple of oil analysis I now change my 8k QD every 300 hours. I'm at 2100 hrs and running like a top.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:54 AM   #10

Wow, 300 hrs. I never expected that. Would you give a little more detail about this 300 hr change and how you decided to go that Long? Because at 150 hrs when I change my oil, it doesn't look used up at all. just barely black. I see blacker oil when it's fresh changed and ran in a machine for 5 min than mine does at 150 hrs
Old 04-11-2015, 04:23 AM   #11

Years back I was in charge of a fleet of trucks we purchased a Oil Analyzer our program was change the filter at 15k and the oil at 30k. We often had trucks go past 36k on oil changes because they would not get home in time for the oil change. You are working your gen and maintaining it I would swap the filter at 150 and probably go to 300 on the oil. My bet is your oil is as good as new when you currently change it and if you ran it thru a multi stage filter even the oil company could not tell if it was new or used.
The oil companies want to sell oil and garages want to get paid to change it. Recommended change intervals are designed to protect the average user which includes those that abuse and ignore their equipment.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #12

I decided on 300hrs after talking to the owner of the oil change service that I use. He commented to me that they service commercial on and that are only serviced every 500 hrs and have in excess of 10,000 hrs on them without major failures. So, from that discussion I talked with a Cummins service director and he reinforced that with synthetics he would not be afraid to extend the interval to at least 300 hrs. Then on the next two pile changes at 300 hrs I had the oil analyzed with great results, so now my standard is 300 hrs and I am approaching 3,000 hrs on my genset.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #13

Thanks for the replies. Can anyone reccomend me the better oil filter. The bypass or secondary filter? I currently run the WIX51064
Old 04-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney7269 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Can anyone reccomend me the better oil filter. The bypass or secondary filter? I currently run the WIX51064
Microgreen.

Secondary filtration is built into the spin on can.
Supposed to be good down to 2 microns.

Onan RVQD 7500 uses the 201-7

http://www.microgreenfilter.com/skin...plications.pdf

Only thing better is a true bypass that can filter out soot.

Im eager to see if the peanut gallery here can find a better all in one. If so Im all ears.

UD
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, onan