Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
One fatality motorhome accident today

I26 in South Carolina

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #2

Seat belts do serve a purpose.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:26 PM   #3

If the passenger side hit the tree sometimes a seatbelt doesn't help. It doesn't say that the passenger didn't wear a seatbelt. Yes, seatbelts save lives.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If the passenger side hit the tree sometimes a seatbelt doesn't help. It doesn't say that the passenger didn't wear a seatbelt. Yes, seatbelts save lives.
No but it specifically said the driver was wearing one, leads me to believe the passenger wasn’t. More will come out.

Wonder if it was a front tire blow out....? It was knocking on 100 degrees in that area.

Steve
Old 08-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, a blown tire. This type of event is very scary, wish there were more details like how old the tire were etc.

Fatality, due to blown tire

Steve
Old 08-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #6

Can anyone tell me if there is any kind of system that can be built into a heavier vehicle that will allow the driver to maintain control following a blowout?

Second question. Can a tire pressure monitoring system have warning values programmed into it so that the driver would know if the pressure were getting too high or low without having to look at the indicators.

I'm just trying to learn what is possible.

HORNETD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNETD View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is any kind of system that can be built into a heavier vehicle that will allow the driver to maintain control following a blowout?

Second question. Can a tire pressure monitoring system have warning values programmed into it so that the driver would know if the pressure were getting too high or low without having to look at the indicators.

Yes. My EEZTire has upper limits that can be set for pressure and temperature and lower limits for pressure. An alarm goes off if it gets outside those limits.

FWIW, I don't really pay much attention to mine. I use it to make sure everything's fine before we leave, then I rely on the alarms.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:

Can a tire pressure monitoring system have warning values programmed into it so that the driver would know if the pressure were getting too high or low without having to look at the indicators.
My TireMinder system alerts to high temp and/or pressure and low pressure. It also advises if a low pressure is happening slow or fast. The user sets the base pressure they want to monitor from (generally what you inflated your tires to) and then the system alerts from there based on it's own parameters. If I recall, it's down 5% or up 20% in pressure or 165 degrees tire temp (don't quote me...my memory isn't what it used to be!)
Old 08-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #9
NXR

Blunt force head trauma. Seatbelt or not, it's not going to help when your head smacks against the side wall or window. Or when the corner of the vehicle folds up and smacks you.

This is why I'm very leery of leaving a seat while moving. I shudder when I read of people sleeping in a bed while another person is driving. No, it doesn't happen often but it does happen. When my wife and I worked as firefighter/paramedics she and I had to respond to way too many incidents that had injuries that did not need to occur.

If the tire hits something and suddenly loses all air no warning system is going to help. I suspect, however, that too many people are driving without a TPMS so they don't really know where their tire pressures are at the beginning of a drive, particularly the inside dual.

All TPMS's I looked at had a "slow leak" warning that would tell you if a tire was losing air. I've read many a post from people who said that their TPMS allowed them to get to the side and stopped before the bad thing happened, particularly if they installed TPMS sensors on the vehicle they were towing.

Ray
Old 08-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #10

Quote:

Yes, there is a new system called RETROBANDS. They hold the Mh up off the rim and allow you to continue to drive, at a reduced speed, to a safe exit or a tire repair facility. They are sold by National Indoor Recreation Vehicle (NIRVC) with operations in Atl, Dallas, Phoenix and Las Vegas.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Yes, there is a new system called RETROBANDS. They hold the Mh up off the rim and allow you to continue to drive, at a reduced speed, to a safe exit or a tire repair facility. They are sold by National Indoor Recreation Vehicle (NIRVC) with operations in Atl, Dallas, Phoenix and Las Vegas.

Lynn
Old 08-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
No this is not Tyron bands, much better. Tyron bands are old technology.
Retrobands are great.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #13

My TPMS system has high and low pressure warnings as well as high temperature warnings, I recently had to slightly up my default high pressure alarm point, as I would occasionally be flirting with in on a long hot day worth of driving, all it would take to push me 1 or 2 psi over the high set point was a couple of miles or rough pavement.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #14

One fatality motorhome accident today

Here is a link to the new rettrobands.

When we move from our class c to our retirement class a I plan on getting them installed in the steers.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome