Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #1

Question One more thread on tires

I seem to have different outlook on tires, so here goes
I think rvs seem to put to small of tire on a lot mhs and then you have to run a lot of air to hold it up witch makes for a firm ride, my tire man tells me to go by air chart on door of my car and that calls for underinflating tires, I also think a hard tire blows out before a tire that gives blow out so with that said I am buying new tires, because mine are 8 years old, and I am going with tire air chart from company on weight and air , I also going to put ruler on side of camper and check height from ground to top of wheel well at full air and chart air if it gives a tinny bit that is where I will run them. Just may have to go lower, no give no heat, weight is always known so not worried.
slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #2

Tires run cooler when they have more inflation. Tire heat is from the tire flexing as it rolls and distorts under the load. Running higher air pressure reduces the flex, at slight sacrifice to ride quality. You should run tire pressure at or above the mfr recommended value for your load on the tire, never under that pressure.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Yeah, I wouldn't run with less than recommended pressure. At best, you'll wear the tire out quicker and worst case scenario is you have a blow out. You have to have a certain amount of air in the tire to carry the weight of the motor home safely.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #4

Run the tires at the recommended pressure. I run mine at the max 110 psi, if you think that max pressure is too harsh a ride then you need to upgrade your suspension.
If your interested in what can happen with underinflated tires check google for "Ford Explorer under inflated tires".
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The RV manufacturer's "recommended pressure' is usually based on max axle loads (GAWR), since estimating anything less leaves them exposed to a Ford_Explorer-like liability lawsuit. You can, instead, run at the tire makers recommended pressure (tire inflation tables) IF, and only if, you have scaled weights that show the actual load, but now YOU are assuming the responsibility for proper inflation.

It doesn't pay to fine tune too much, though. An extra 5 or even 10 psi gives you a safe margin for a bit of extra load, or perhaps a slow leak you haven't noticed yet. Especially if you do not use a TPMS to monitor actual pressure.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #6

Question Tires

All have good reasoning, I also run a town car witch has 200,000 miles on it at 32 lbs air from chart not side of tire or 43 lbs and it does not always have 2 people in it. I believe a tire with to much air is not flat on bottom that's not real good. These tires for rv are 75 mph tires and I drive 62, best mileage. I still think a hard tire blows out first.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The RV manufacturer's "recommended pressure' is usually based on max axle loads (GAWR), since estimating anything less leaves them exposed to a Ford_Explorer-like liability lawsuit. You can, instead, run at the tire makers recommended pressure (tire inflation tables) IF, and only if, you have scaled weights that show the actual load, but now YOU are assuming the responsibility for proper inflation.

It doesn't pay to fine tune too much, though. An extra 5 or even 10 psi gives you a safe margin for a bit of extra load, or perhaps a slow leak you haven't noticed yet. Especially if you do not use a TPMS to monitor actual pressure.

Totally agree!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickdog View Post
Run the tires at the recommended pressure. I run mine at the max 110 psi, if you think that max pressure is too harsh a ride then you need to upgrade your suspension.
If your interested in what can happen with underinflated tires check google for "Ford Explorer under inflated tires".

When I was at the tiffin service center in red bay, the mechanics all said to run the tire pressure between 80-95 psi. Higher pressure in the winter to cooler weather and lower in the higher and summer temps. They do not run the pressure at 110 to 120. They don't even recommend those pressures on there allegro buses.
jabastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #9

Ford had issues with under inflated tires on explorers that resulted in blowouts and deaths.

Under inflation causes more sidewall flex which will generate excess heat.

Better too high than too low.

Handling also worse with lower pressure as sidewalls tend to wash out more.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:38 PM   #10

Both Michelin and Goodyear, even though they publish weight/inflation carts, say to never run less than the vehicle manufacturers recommendation as stated on the tire placard. The Rubber Manufacturers Association states this same thing in CH 4, which pertains to RV tires, pg, 51.
Excerpt: "
However, never use inflation pressure lower than
specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification
label or owner’s manual. Nor should inflation
pressure exceed the maximum pressure molded on
the tire sidewall"

I choose to follow that admonition, others will do as they see fit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:59 AM   #11

over or under

I like reading about camping life but so much goes into it if you are going to travel down road, camping close to home not the most trouble.
When we are packing my wife has a saying [where do I put this] so I find a spot. I guess rvs get run over scales but I have never seen one on a scale, and I have been around scales my hole life. The hr 38ft pusher I have is designed fair as far as weight goes about the same amount of weight on both ends so I try to keep it there. It is so easy to get to much weight on one side because of design, I think a lot about loading and tire air.When you go on a 10 hr. drive and you have 3 blow outs and all tires were perfect looking but old you think and read.We were both school bus drivers and when school was out we were gone, never been in ditch yet.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #12

Quite often when a tire thread comes up, it does not take long to see different opinions. This thread has a count of 11, and we have multiple options!

So, here is mind, and it is pretty much a repeat some already mentioned:

1) Do what you feel comfortable doing.
2) The safe and easy way, requiring no research, is to run the PSI on the Coach Manufacturer Placard. (BUT TO ALSO RUN THE TIRES LOAD RATED TO THE COACH, PER THE PLACARD.) You can run a higher Load Rating, but never run a lower Load Rating.
3) Me? I load the coach for travel, even add 1/2 Grey and 1/2 Black tanks. Get the coach Four Corner weight, and then consult the tire manufacturers weight to PSI charts. If I'm within say the top 25% of the weight range scale, I bump up to the next higher weight on the chart, and use that PSI. I ether add 5psi, or 10% on top of this, for as mentioned a safety contingency range.
4) I use Tire Pressure Monitor Systems.
5) I protect my tires with UV protection, usually using Aerospace 303. I will cover them if going to be parked for a over three days.
6) When not traveling. Every 4-6 weeks, I take the coach out to exercise the systems. I have a regular route, and drive about an hour at highway speeds. This gets the tires up to temperature, and helps keep them young.
7) I use a 6-7 year replacement cycle.
8) Inspect the tires before each days trip, and walk the coach including looking at the tires at each stop.

On a slight side note. Many coaches over the years, left the factory with overweight axles. Some manufactures called people back and replaced the axles with higher rated axles. Others bullied the chassis provider into 're-certifying' the axle to a higher rate. So some coach owners, will buy large wheels to allow for higher load rated tires, as they were marginal to begin with. For example both Country Coach and Wanderlodge owners, would go to a 9" vs 8.25" wide rim, to move up to a higher Load Rated tire. But, these are rare examples of where with careful research, you can second guess the coach manufacturer.

And as I always state, opinions vary. And do what you feel is right for you and your safety. Also as mentioned, be prepared to assume the responsibility for your decisions.

Have fun, travel safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #13

I wonder who was responsible for the correct air pressure in the school buses?
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #14

Smile School bus

School owned busses and had a shop and foreman, having top air for football team and a 40 ft. 39 pass. and driving to Chicago, Indy. St. Louis, always looking at tires and thumping.

Tags
tires