Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #29

I bought the adapter hose to use a 20 lb tank (or larger, but then it is more of a storage issue) to run my grille. I keep a couple small bottles as back-up.

But I agree good to refill your own 1 lb bottles vs buying new. I used to have the adapter and it got lost over the years and moves. Need to get another.

38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #30

I just noticed that Manchester Tank is advertising a refillable 1# bottle. I found them on ebay for about $40.00+ but if you buy several 1# disposables the new refillable will pay for itself quickly. They have to be refilled from an existing larger tank 5# or above. I know that there are people selling adapters to refill the disposable one pound bottles and apparently a lot of these disposable bottles are being refilled whether it is safe or legal at all.

I personally don't want to deal with refilling the disposable ~1# bottles but I am considering getting one of the Manchester 1# refillable bottles for the safety of it. After all if you have a fire and the disposable bottle has been refilled it may be just the thing the insurance company is looking for to dis-allow a claim!

I previously had two Bernzomatic refillable bottles and they worked rather well for many years until rust got to them - I kept them in an unheated detached garage and/or a shed and eventually the marine air got to them. the Bernsomatic refillables had a vent that indicated when the tank was full.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #31

I have never found any information anywhere that states that it is illegal to refill the 1# bottles. It is illegal to transport across state lines. SAFETY is the keyword in this entire scenario. The bottles obviously were never intended by the manufacturer to be refilled. They are marketed as disposable. That being said, if they were filled, as new, why can't they be filled again ? The valve seals on these bottles will fail after a few times, that's were caution is advised. It's best to purchase a few brass caps & seal the bottle after re-filling. Filling isn't the problem, leaking bottles is.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #32

So glad mine don't leak............
Old 07-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #33

My 1# bottles state "non-refillable" for resale.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #34

Very handy to keep a few refilled bottles in a locker when you go bombdocking.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
OH Boy
Old 07-06-2015, 08:59 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballard770 View Post
I just noticed that Manchester Tank is advertising a refillable 1# bottle. I found them on ebay for about $40.00+ but if you buy several 1# disposables the new refillable will pay for itself quickly. They have to be refilled from an existing larger tank 5# or above. I know that there are people selling adapters to refill the disposable one pound bottles and apparently a lot of these disposable bottles are being refilled whether it is safe or legal at all.
I personally don't want to deal with refilling the disposable ~1# bottles but I am considering getting one of the Manchester 1# refillable bottles for the safety of it. After all if you have a fire and the disposable bottle has been refilled it may be just the thing the insurance company is looking for to dis-allow a claim!
I previously had two Bernzomatic refillable bottles and they worked rather well for many years until rust got to them - I kept them in an unheated detached garage and/or a shed and eventually the marine air got to them. the Bernsomatic refillables had a vent that indicated when the tank was full.
ballard770
How on earth would an insurance company know if a 1# LP bottle was refilled?
Old 07-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #37

ballard770
How on earth would an insurance company know if a 1# LP bottle was refilled?

The wife will tell them
Old 07-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #38
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Old 07-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My 1# bottles state "non-refillable" for resale.
Good point, I had forgotten about that, since mine are personal use only.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:31 AM   #40

I got a 5 lb tank and adapter hose instead. I carry a couple of 1 lb cans as spares for when it runs out.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
I will admit, I did this in my very early days. After being trained and certified as a professional technician, where I am liable in the safety standards of this fuel source and application, I would not even consider do such a thing today.
I would highly suggest that those practicing this procedure really think about what they are doing and at least research as to why it says on the label "Non Refillable".
It is not only dangerous and illegal - no Overfill Protection Device
If it leaks or pops off (vents due to high pressure) and an ignition source starts a fire, you better hope you do not have the adapter in the coach or the fire marshall finds it. Your insurance company may just not want to cover your loss and someone could loose their life.

RV Wizard,

Sorry buy you are mis-informed. The wording on the small canisters is intentionally incomplete. It's labeled that way from a marketing perspective to sell more canisters to unwary consumers that don't know any better. They can be refilled safely as many times as the Schrader valve works. And, if it doesn't work, it will simply leak the gas into the atmosphere. All of the canisters have a safety valve that will do the same thing if it's left in a car in the hot sun, it will just leak.

If you find the actual complete D.O.T. regulation that is paraphrased on the labeling placed onto the little canisters, (available on the interwebs), it only applies to propane cylinders refilled for commercial use, (the commercial transport of refilled canisters for profit). It does not apply to folks refilling them at home, for personal use, or transporting them for personal use.

Propane gas is one of the safest pressurized flammable products available. That's exactly why the little steel canisters are available where small children can easily pick them up and toss them around in grocery stores, convenience stores, and just about anywhere. They do not spontaneously combust even if you were to shoot them with a high powered rifle, (debunked on Mythbusters a few years ago).
Old 07-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #42

Why not just get a bigger tank? We carried one for our BBQ and it takes a loooong time to run out. I'm talking months with grilling almost every night. When it does, there are always propane services nearby.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane