Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

One pound propane bottles & refilling them.

If anyone is interested in knowing how to "safely" refill the so-called disposable one pound propane bottles, let me know & I'll post the complete instructions step by step. It's quite simple & saves $
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #2

Bought my adapter for a few bucks on Amazon.. easy process.. been doing it for years.
cj00ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #3

Can you get the same amount in the 1 LB bottle as it came with or just 75%??
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #4

Halfwright,

Yes, you can get them full @ the 16.4oz net weight.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
KIX

DAKOTA. please post the full instructions thanks
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #6

my adapter instructions say you can refill them in 1 minute but I've never had much success I've even tried doing it for 5 minutes and have the same results bottle ends up only partial full
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:05 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dakota,

I'd be interested in an easy way to get them completely full.

I've been refilling them for a few years and find 3/4 is about normal. But at about 2 minutes a bottle it is cheap enough to be worth swapping them out a little sooner.

Yesterday I picked up a half full gas grill size tank for 3 bucks. That's a lot of little green bottles for the price of just one.

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:28 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I will admit, I did this in my very early days. After being trained and certified as a professional technician, where I am liable in the safety standards of this fuel source and application, I would not even consider do such a thing today.
I would highly suggest that those practicing this procedure really think about what they are doing and at least research as to why it says on the label "Non Refillable".
It is not only dangerous and illegal - no Overfill Protection Device
If it leaks or pops off (vents due to high pressure) and an ignition source starts a fire, you better hope you do not have the adapter in the coach or the fire marshall finds it. Your insurance company may just not want to cover your loss and someone could loose their life.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #9

Penny wise Dollar foolish.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #10

In my experience with the 1 lb. bottles, if you unscrew them from the grill when they are still partly full, they leak. Years ago they didn't, but in the last few years I have not found one that didn't leak.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just bought a 4lb refillable bottle at Home Depot, been using it for years and it takes very little room.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #12

Fyi, I bought one of those adapter recently. Filled the first bottle ok. But was out of fuel on large tank, so I went to have it filled. On my second bottle I filled it with the full large tank. Put the bottles in a box in the garage to take to RV the next day. Next day one of the bottled had ballooned up on the bottom, and paint was cracking. Scared the heck out of me. Had the release fuel and throw away.

If you do this I would not try to get it full. A little room is a good thing.

One other thing, maybe someone would know if the fuel and or containers go bad. I had these bottles for maybe 20 years, had tent camp in younger day, and just hot back in to RVs. Anyway these bottles seem to Clough up the thing that plugs into the bottle. I would have to clean it a few time till I got fuel flowing good.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #13

If your bottles tend to leak, I found some brass screw on caps for them. I think it was on Amazon.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #14

I must admit, I had reservations at first myself, but then I considered a few things & came to my on conclusion whether to try it or not. Consider this:

#1 - How & why is it that a product is sold that enables this procedure to be done in the first place. If it's illegal, wouldn't the adapter be illegal ?

#2 - It's been done by many others for years.

#3 - Since the tank is designed from the factory & filled by the manufacturer it must meet several safety requirements in order to be sold to the public, IE: if it can be filled once, why not again ?

#4 - Follow the Money, these tanks are sold for the convenience of the consumer, very little actual product verses it's cost.

#5 - Of course, you don't want to over-fill the damn thing - that is "stupid" & if it leaks after filling, throw it away, empty it & dispose of it properly.

#6 - No where, have I read that it is "illegal". It only states that it is illegal to transport across borders.

#7 - I believe every word our government tells us. ( we freed Iraq from tyranny, didn't we.

I will post my step by step procedure a little later today & you can make up your own mind. I accept no responsibility for another persons actions. It's your decision & responsibility to act with care & caution always. Never use a hair dryer in the bathtub.

Tags
propane