Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2019, 05:41 AM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Mothballs worked best for us.. I wrapped a few in aluminum foil left all around inside, under the bed, behind couch, basement area, around tires, anywhere I think they can get in. Works so far
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2019, 06:13 AM   #58

Mice and Such

We put Irish Spring bars here and there in the compartments. No mice. No ants. No squirrels.
Jurisdictionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #59

I put hedge apples (osage orange) around the coach or trailer and never had a problem. My wife also puts dryer sheets in the drawers too. I did an experiment a couple of years ago and put a couple hedge apples on top of a bucket of ear corn in the shed. That bucket was not touched. My cousin had a bad mouse problem in his combine cab and put some in and never had a problem with them getting in and making a mess anymore.
GordonFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
The best thing we have used is Fresh Cab. We put 1 pack in each basement behind the dash. They are pet safe and last 6 to 9 months.
4 R LABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnuts View Post
Here in PA I use plain ordinary snap traps baited with extra crunchy peanut butter. Never fails. Have had problems in the past- the little boogers will lick the bait off the trigger and the trap doesn't snap. I use a needle nose pliers and carefully, slightly flatten the part that engages the metal wire. Doing that makes the trap more sensitive and also more difficult to set. If you make the mod be careful when you set the trap. Mice are an ongoing problem here and will do MASSIVE damage if they go unchecked. Sorry, they get no mercy from me!!
Peanut butter is one of the best baits available. We attracted rats with it in a feed mill!
davis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:11 PM   #62

We use the cheap sticky boards that you form into a box. I lay them out flat instead of forming the box and I surround the tires with them. I have them stuck to each other so they don't move. Around here a package of four costs a couple of dollars. It takes 12 to surround the duals and 10 to surround each tag and each front tire. No bait, don't want to attract them. Then I also have bait stations in the building. I also surround the Electric cord. Caught a half dozen so far. Takes 17 packages or about $34.
RandyandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #63

I've had the most luck with this product from Amazon:
"Fresh Cab Botanical Rodent Repellent 16 Scent Pouches - EPA Registered, Keeps Mice Out"
Have tried all kinds of traps, glue cards, electronic devices, etc. This is the only thing that actually seems to keep them out.
lilac77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #64

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One day I found my Fresh Cab packets in a Pack Rat nest.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:26 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFan24 View Post
I put hedge apples (osage orange) around the coach or trailer and never had a problem. My wife also puts dryer sheets in the drawers too. I did an experiment a couple of years ago and put a couple hedge apples on top of a bucket of ear corn in the shed. That bucket was not touched. My cousin had a bad mouse problem in his combine cab and put some in and never had a problem with them getting in and making a mess anymore.
Are these the same a Bois d'arc apples?
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:33 AM   #66

Try putting a small amount of water next to the bait, that has worked for me, they don't go far before the die. But sometimes it's had to find the remains. Good luck.
RMWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have my Little Siamese Cat Peaches and haven't seen one yet..
Old 11-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #68

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
reading this thread is full of great stuff
we carried a mouse from our home port to south texas, luckily border station didnt catch him.
i kept hearing footsteps in the heater vents and thought i was going nuts.

anyway, he had gained entry through the one place i thought was secure, the sewer hose hole.
so i made up a sliding two piece vinyl plank with a hole just the size for the sewer hose, when its slid together, its held tight with a small bungee.

so afterwards we got the bait traps that keep the bait inside and will only allow a mouse or rat to enter (size wise) so no accidental killing of other critters. placed it on the ground near the sewer and water hose area. when we are at the park.

spent a week laying on ground searching every nook and cranny looking for access points (found a BUNCH) then sealed them up.

now if someone has a daddy long legs repelling solution i am all ears
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #69

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlckmj View Post
I am another believer in the 5 gallon bucket traps.

When parked for long term storage I put RV anti freeze in the bucket. They fall in and the anti freeze seems to keep them from stinking the place up.
Jim
This is my solution. I float sunflower seeds on the surface. Smaller buckets work also. Wading through 3 ft of snow to check traps every couple of days or locating a decaying poisoned mouse is a bummer. I’ve had extensive damage from rodents & I’ve come to the same conclusion as others—you can’t keep them out: too many access points.
Harry
Old 11-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #70

getting rid of mice

1. Get a few canning jars and fill them with saw dust flakes.
2. Pour peppermint extract into the flakes then place a cloth over the jar.
3. Screw the outer ring on the jar holding the cloth in place.
4. Place the jars in cabinets that you have found traces of mice.

Mice don't like the smell pf peppermint and they will leave the coach. the aroma of peppermint is much better than dead mice.
Loday is offline   Reply With Quote