Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Online Reservation Sites?

Does anyone know of some good online reservation sites. We use recreation.gov now, which is the same as reserveamerica. Not sure there are many others.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Reserve America is sorry excuse for a company. I try not to use RA any time I can.

Ken

Old 05-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Some state park systems have their own online reservations, e.g. Georgia, Alabama, Washington, etc. See each states web site to see their reservation

Campground chains such as KOA have their own reservation system.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Reserve America is sorry excuse for a company. I try not to use RA any time I can.

Ken
May I ask why you make that statement?
ZMasterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMasterFish View Post
Yeah I kinda wonder too. Been using Reserve American for a couple of years and never had a problem.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Other than their rather expensive policy on changes and cancellations, I have no problems with RA.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been using RA for many years and have never had a problem. My reservations were always correct when I arrived weather it was at the Grand Canyon or a state park. I also have never needed to change or cancel a reservation. I am careful about being sure of where I will be when I make a reservation, if I am not positive I will be there I take my chances as a walk in. I don't know of any other reservation system. Usually the place you are making the reservation for dictates the company you make it through.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree the CG you call decides with who you make reservation thru. We are new again to camping I made reservations last month for ourselves and my sister. Encore CG My sister and DH arrived first and were told the site was already paid for. Also we lost the GS discount because they forgot to ask for it when they checked in. We checked in an hr later and we told that it was too late to get it and both sites for the weekend were already charged to our cc. I asked the reservation person about the discount when making reservations she said not something she handles do it when we get there. I have never known to charge for the whole weekend before checking in. At least not when I did hotels. Is this common?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Texas Parks and Wildlife used RA for several years and two years ago they started using a state developed system and boy is there a difference. Our parks were going either empty or not close to capacity because of RA which of course meant they were losing a tremendous amount of revenue.

As an example, I once tried to make reservations via RA at six different parks and could not find an available site over an eight month time period. I found this strange especially since it was between October and May and I was checking in August or September; I called each park and they were not full in any of those months.

As far as the RA change/cancellation policy, its often less expensive to pay one night than to pay their cancellation fees.

I once called RA to make reservations and was told Pedernales Falls State Park didn't exist so I called the park direct and let them know they didn't exist but could I come the following week, which we did. Oh, and we were there again last week.

I thank the state of Texas and Texas Parks and Wildlife for firing RA.

This was my experience using RA two years ago and possibly/hopefully they have changed.

I think this is why Ken made his comment.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #10

Quote:
I have never known to charge for the whole weekend before checking in. At least not when I did hotels. Is this common?
Not common, but not rare either. This is more common in resort areas, but you may see it elsewhere. Reservation/payment policies will vary to as many different possibilities as you could imagine. Most common is one night guarantee and payment for the rest of your stay upon check in. We have been in a couple of places where you were expected to pay on the way out after your stay was over. A few places are cash only, a few only give Passport America/Good Sam discounts if you pay cash. We were at one a couple of years ago that would not take cash - check or credit card only. Campgrounds are, for the most part, tiny little businesses and they are run as the owners see fit. Most are easy to get along with and their payment policies make sense. Good luck in your travels.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Reserve America/Recreation.gov are the same company, and they are owned by Ticketmaster. They do charge upfront for the full stay. As mentioned above, if you change or cancel your reservation, it can be an expensive experience. In addition, their reservation fees are non refundable. I've just made reservations using Rec.gov and was charged a $9.00 reservation fee. It did upset me since the campsite was only $9.00 [after the ACCESS PASS discount] and then I was charged an additional $9.00 fee. I had never been charged a reservation fee by RA or Rec.gov, until just recently.

I did some research about Rec.gov and found out that our tax money paid them several million US$, under a Federal contract, to build the reservation site, as well as maintaining the system; handling the reservations & customer service. That just makes me wonder why they are charging a reservation fee!!?? None of the government agencies have gotten back to me with an answer as to why, and the same goes for rec.gov & ticketmaster......go figure.

Finally, you can no longer just drive up to these parks without having gone through rec.gov first.....Even if you do, you'll be walked into their office and will have to register through rec.gov!!!!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

All too often, they show sites as full, even during the week. But you call the park directly and they are not even at 50% capacity. Their information for the most part is totally inaccurate. Additionally they charge way too much to make reservations when you can book directly for free. I would not mind paying a small service fee if the information was correct.

The RA information was equally bad for Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas parks. I had Jim's experience year after year with RA...So if you want my business, you have to provide a service of a value that is appropriate to the charges.

Ken
Old 05-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I've been using Reserve America for two years and I like it a lot. My only complaint is the filters don't always work. If it says no availability try it with no filters. We travel with two dogs, some parks allow dogs but when you have the pet filter on they don't show up. My advise is to search with no filter and look at the info on the campground and availability. Each site gives you details on trailer limitations etc, if you have questions call the campground.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelarry View Post
Reserve America/Recreation.gov are the same company, and they are owned by Ticketmaster.
I can see nothing on these sites to indicate they have anything in common. If you have additional information I would be interested in seeing it.

ReserveAmerica clearly identifies itself as a commercial site and Recreation.gov states that it is a site that exclusively provides access to government-owned facilities.

I am sure that a contractor developed the site and reservation system for the government since that is the way the government does business. It wouldn't be surprising if the contractor was the same one that created ReserveAmerica. I also recognize that the ReserveAmerica system will transfer you to the Recreation.gov one for government CG's, but that doesn't make them the same.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote