Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 10:26 PM   #15

I hate to be the only one so far without some degree of optimism. My brother has a winter home here in Mesa, and I look after it during the summer months when it is empty. Two summers ago, while doing a "walk-thru", I started noting the mild odor of decomposition in the air. I checked the fridge, (after the bedroom, to make sure he had actually left), and there was the remains of a roast in the freezer that had gradually thawed out, rotted, and then leaked its juices from the upper freezer area into the fridge part. The fridge was plugged in and running, but apparently not set cool enough, since the home thermostat was set at 92.

Being the nice guy that I am, I totally disassembled everything, did the bleach, lysol, baking soda, etc. routine, put everything back together again, and the improvement was marginal. Then tried the charcoal deal, crumpled up newspaper (the ink in the newsprint is supposed to absorb the odor), and all the other tricks of the trade that a funeral director would know about, and weeks later, although it was much better, it was still not an environment that you would want to store your food in.

Ultimately, the fridge got replaced the day after they arrived back down here. I believe, and have heard elsewhere, that the odor gets absorbed by the rubber door gaskets, insulation and other materials in the fridge, and there is just no way to totally eliminate it. Sorry!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 11:33 PM   #16

Ok, if I understand the above:

1) everyone picked up on my song-spin. Good.
2) I need to mix up some coffee grounds and baking soda, wad that up in newspaper, stuff it all in the freezer, drink some tomato juice, and go to Lowes and shop for new tools in case I need to take out a fridge.

Got it. .

Oh, and pretend not to have noticed terryl's experience noted above 'cause it's technically still my weekend and I don't wanna harsh my mellow till the morrow.....

Old 08-16-2015, 11:45 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Buy or rent an ozone machine.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Buy or rent an ozone machine.
Ozone machine - yes. That is what hotels and car rental agencies use to get tobacco and other smells out.

Coffee grounds and baking soda freshen the air only. For odors absorbed by the plastic, try bleach, then later use ammonia (but NOT together!)

Good Luck!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Ozone machine - yes. That is what hotels and car rental agencies use to get tobacco and other smells out.

Coffee grounds and baking soda freshen the air only. For odors absorbed by the plastic, try bleach, then later use ammonia (but NOT together!)

Good Luck!

Ozone machine? ???

Does the "machine" part of this imply motors and gears and plenty of power? This is a new one on me, and until now I figured I'd achieved adequate levels of "been there, done that" cred. Perhaps not.

Can I rewire it for more power?

I've heard of the ozone layer. Maybe they shoulda bought some big ozone machines to fill the layer back up?

In the meantime, me thinks I will do some searching about this elusive machine of which ye speak.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:11 AM   #20

Ozone generator will do a great job, while you are searching try OdoBan, available at Loews, Home Depot. If that doesn't cut it try Odocide, available at man Feed and Grain stores. I understand it is what is used by many bovine farmers
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:26 AM   #21

Like this guy, or too much?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	103595  
Old 08-17-2015, 01:26 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can rent an Ozone machine at Home Depot. They definitely work.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:58 AM   #23

Had the same trouble years ago.
Wife thought I emptied the fridge, I thought she did. Weeks later ---- WOW!!

After several extreme cleanings (with every chemical known to man) it still stunk.
So I pulled the fridge out of the camper, laid it on it's back, taped up all the holes and filled it with water and about 4 gallons of bleach.
Let it soak for a day or two adding more bleach as needed when some would leak out.
Also took the doors apart and soaked the inner panels and gaskets in same bleach/water.

After rinsing it out and reassembly the smell was completely gone.

Reinstalled it and let it set for 24 hrs before turning it on and it was working fine.

What a lesson learned.
From then on we don't park the camper for storage unless the fridge is emptied and the doors are propped open.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #24

ozone generator

i've seen what they can do, get or rent one.

Jim
Old 08-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I consulted with the resident expert in such matters. She also can't see in the freezer. She says to line your freezer with newspaper and take a full pound of coffee and dump it in, close it up and let it sit. We have a two compartment freezer and she said we would do a full pound in each. Coffee has a remarkable absorption capability. Open as close to dumping time as possible.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have to agree with the old newspaper trick. It works great if you have stinky cushions too. We use to burn coffee grounds at dead body scenes to get rid of the smell. I would stuff both the freezer and the fridge full of waded up newspaper and leave them there for a few days.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:49 PM   #27

I got this machine years ago to get rid of mold and mildew.... Works great! It will elininate
ANY odor !

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439851775.450314.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	103647
Old 08-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

I have heard that drier sheets work on just about every odor there is and also the DW said that dried chlorine will work.Good Luck and surely with all this wisdom and suggestions you can get great results.

papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell