Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
rapid rick.....Jarheads never give up. Civdiv99 will get it done somehow or another.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #44
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Because of the meat spoilage, you have to use the same methods as a Bio-hazard cleanup. You have to completely rid the fridge of all contaminates and then treat the residual odor.

Google Bio-hazard cleanup and I'm sure you will get some proper methods by professionals on what to do. Or simply call an Insurance Restoration contractor in your area. They will likely give you some free advise and direction.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #45
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I just pulled this off the web:

You can skip #1 as obviously you've done that already.

Throw rotten meat in the trash or dumpster outside the home. Open a window to allow for ventilation in the kitchen. Put on protective gloves if your skin is sensitive to various cleaning products.
Remove racks, bins and ice trays from their respective refrigerator and freezer compartments, according to the manufacturer's instructions. Place the items on the kitchen counter, near the sink. Be especially careful with glass shelves.
Add 2 tbsp. of liquid dish detergent to a small plastic bowl. Fill the bowl with hot water and let the bowl sit in the basin of the sink. Use a sudsy cotton cloth to wipe and wash the racks, shelves, bins and ice trays. Pour the detergent solution down the drain when finished. Rinse with tap water.
Add 1 tbsp. of chlorine bleach to a bucket. Fill the bucket with 1 gallon of water from the cold tap. This is a "sanitizing solution." Rinse the shelves, bins and ice trays with the bleach solution, in the sink. Place these removable parts to the side on the counter. Place the water bucket near the refrigerator, if any of the sanitizing solution remains.
Wet and wring out a clean cotton cloth, using hot water from the tap. Sprinkle baking soda over the damp cloth. Fold and rub the cloth in on itself, creating a baking soda paste directly on the fabric.
Wipe the interior compartment walls of the refrigerator and freezer with the baking soda paste. Wipe the gaskets around the doors.
Wet a clean cloth under the faucet. Wipe away baking soda residue from the compartment walls and the gasket.
Soak another clean, white cotton cloth in the "sanitizing solution" in the bucket. Make more if none remains. Wipe the compartment walls and doors, using the cloth. Refer to your owner's manual before wiping the gasket with bleach. Some manufacturers may suggest against using bleach or chemicals on specific areas of certain products.
Leave the doors on the refrigerator and freezer compartments fully open for 15 minutes to allow moisture to evaporate and air to circulate.
Reassemble the parts that were removed from your refrigerator and freezer compartments.

Additional Tips

If smells remain, wipe down the fridge interior with equal parts white vinegar and water and allow it to dry.
Dampen cotton balls with vanilla extract and place them in the fridge for 24 hours to freshen between cleanings.
Keep a shallow, open container of coffee grounds or baking soda in the bottom of the fridge to absorb odors.
Layer charcoal between several layers of newspapers. Change out every 2-3 days.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
I just pulled this off the web:

You can skip #1 as obviously you've done that already.

Throw rotten meat in the trash or dumpster outside the home. Open a window to allow for ventilation in the kitchen. Put on protective gloves if your skin is sensitive to various cleaning products.
Remove racks, bins and ice trays from their respective refrigerator and freezer compartments, according to the manufacturer's instructions. Place the items on the kitchen counter, near the sink. Be especially careful with glass shelves.
Add 2 tbsp. of liquid dish detergent to a small plastic bowl. Fill the bowl with hot water and let the bowl sit in the basin of the sink. Use a sudsy cotton cloth to wipe and wash the racks, shelves, bins and ice trays. Pour the detergent solution down the drain when finished. Rinse with tap water.
Add 1 tbsp. of chlorine bleach to a bucket. Fill the bucket with 1 gallon of water from the cold tap. This is a "sanitizing solution." Rinse the shelves, bins and ice trays with the bleach solution, in the sink. Place these removable parts to the side on the counter. Place the water bucket near the refrigerator, if any of the sanitizing solution remains.
Wet and wring out a clean cotton cloth, using hot water from the tap. Sprinkle baking soda over the damp cloth. Fold and rub the cloth in on itself, creating a baking soda paste directly on the fabric.
Wipe the interior compartment walls of the refrigerator and freezer with the baking soda paste. Wipe the gaskets around the doors.
Wet a clean cloth under the faucet. Wipe away baking soda residue from the compartment walls and the gasket.
Soak another clean, white cotton cloth in the "sanitizing solution" in the bucket. Make more if none remains. Wipe the compartment walls and doors, using the cloth. Refer to your owner's manual before wiping the gasket with bleach. Some manufacturers may suggest against using bleach or chemicals on specific areas of certain products.
Leave the doors on the refrigerator and freezer compartments fully open for 15 minutes to allow moisture to evaporate and air to circulate.
Reassemble the parts that were removed from your refrigerator and freezer compartments.

Additional Tips

If smells remain, wipe down the fridge interior with equal parts white vinegar and water and allow it to dry.
Dampen cotton balls with vanilla extract and place them in the fridge for 24 hours to freshen between cleanings.
Keep a shallow, open container of coffee grounds or baking soda in the bottom of the fridge to absorb odors.
Layer charcoal between several layers of newspapers. Change out every 2-3 days.

Hmmmmm...

Ok, having ventured forth sans initial guidance, here is where I am currently. Note for our purposes that in the 4 door Norcold, it is only the upper right freezer compartment I am dealing with. We did use the other 3 sections (full fridge, and the left freezer compartment) on a 2 week trip about a month ago, and no issues, provided the offending compartment was not opened.

#1. Yup, that was indeed step one.
#2. One rack and one tray was cleaned and went through the dishwasher. Right or wrong, that ship is long sailed.
#3. This also occurred early on.
#4. Well, as a Marine, I wasn't gonna use a .22 when I got access to a a .50 cal. In other words: a "tbsp" = BWAHAHAHAHA
I think I used 2 cups of bleach to a quart of water or something. . Scrubbed it down and poured a bunch in the compartment and let it set. I think I mentioned in a earlier post discussing drainage that the concoction hadn't gone anywhere whist setting.
#5, #6, and #7 - this I will do. Sounds cool. Of course, "paste" is gonna have a whole new meaning when I'm done......
#8. I figure I covered this by doing #4 to great excess.

Currently, the compartment has a few newspapers crumbled up in there (note I did not say pages, I said newspapers). Also about a lb. of coffee in there. Smells so good I want to leave the doors open per #9 above just because.

However, we take off again tomorrow for a week, so plan is to replace coffee and newspapers maybe with baking soda, don't stock food in that section, and see what we think.

Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #47
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Good Luck!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:43 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
CIVDIV99,
after my smarta-- response ,and having the utmost respect for our troops, retired or not,I spoke with my daughter,a dvm. I asked what could be used as a safe product for the purpose at hand, she recommended a product called Medi-aire ,Biological odor eliminator,made by C.R.BARD INC 1-800-526-4455.catalog no 7018 spray
Is used to eliminate offensive odors like those of necrotic tissue.She was unsure if it was available to the general public,or if maybe you know someone at a local hosipital that could help you out with a couple of oz's. She recommended washing after use ,although non toxic,should achieve good results,good luck.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:28 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
CIVDIV99,
after my smarta-- response ,and having the utmost respect for our troops, retired or not,I spoke with my daughter,a dvm. I asked what could be used as a safe product for the purpose at hand, she recommended a product called Medi-aire ,Biological odor eliminator,made by C.R.BARD INC 1-800-526-4455.catalog no 7018 spray
Is used to eliminate offensive odors like those of necrotic tissue.She was unsure if it was available to the general public,or if maybe you know someone at a local hosipital that could help you out with a couple of oz's. She recommended washing after use ,although non toxic,should achieve good results,good luck.
Cool. Hopefully it's so powerful it's been banned by 23 countries, and requires 3 licenses to legally obtain!

My neighbor is firmly entrenched in the employee list of a local hospital. I shall ask her to poll connections when we get back. Thanks!!
Old 08-31-2015, 06:38 PM   #50

I think that is the consumer product called Odo-Cide available at farm and feed stores. I was told it is used for cleaning up stalls where cattle may have reached an untimely death
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
I think that is the consumer product called Odo-Cide available at farm and feed stores. I was told it is used for cleaning up stalls where cattle may have reached an untimely death
This stuff is gaining credibility with me by the minute!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #52

My fridge turned off and I had meat in it. Was really rank. Used baking soda, bleach and vinegar. Had to use it several times. Think the bleach did the trick.

New education from this.

Put everything in gallon/two gallon bags. If it fails, everything is in the bag, not the fridge. Toss the bags and done...
GNHebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:33 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I made a concentrated solution of baking powder, dissolving it in boiling water, then used a flower spray to coat everything inside having taken shelves out first.

Left over night, everything was covered with baking powder, but on washing off, the smell was gone.

Just leaving baking powder in tray did nothing.

But I'll never leave old food in refrigerator again!!

PS, wash out sprayer immediately, or like mine, it will end up in the trash as it's seized up!

Vectra 40AD based in Beautiful North Wales. UK.
Bigpeetee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell