RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Oops, almost lost Emergency Window

I was outside seeing what needs replaced outside. I looked at one bedroom window and it looked wrong but the issue didn't immediately look obvious what was "off" with that window. Closer look showed there was a gap between window & frame open to the interior....oops!

It also didn't click in my head this was the "oh crap! Everybody out" window. Turned out somehow the latches holding it in on the inside we completely unlatched nit even holding the window in. BIG OOPS...

Got it back in place once i was over the "awwww, maaaan, i don't have time for a new window frame or whatever...now blood no foul.

Still i did learn two things. The gasket for glass itself to frame must be replaced. Next I need to replace the interior latches. Both are aged and a bit loose.

Fix was simple and repairs very easy for a change but my head still thinks about how badly I'd feel should the window have fallen out in traffic
or on highway. Something so simple could, potentially, do a lot of harm to other drivers/vehicles.

Just wanted to share my oversight did...note to self "... pay more attention dummy!..."

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #2

Good that you caught it when you did. One more thing to check for the rest of us too.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #3

Nice save for sure!
FSU Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:48 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
yeah, it was very much a "WOW I could have had a V8" moment once i figured it out.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #5

A little off topic but do these escape windows come out completely or are they on a hinge or something at the top? Mine is fogged out and I would like to take the window apart, clean it up and reseal it.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #6

Mine is hinged on top. I had mine blow open over I10 bridge over Mobile Bay last year. Slowed to 30mph till got over the bridge. I was nervous as a cat till i got across. It just unlatched due to rough roads but i check it often now. I try to avoid interstates at all cost because of high speeds. I like it slower in case of any failure. Im not in that big of a hurry.
justfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the heads-up! Glad you caught that before it became more serious!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird1965 View Post
A little off topic but do these escape windows come out completely or are they on a hinge or something at the top? Mine is fogged out and I would like to take the window apart, clean it up and reseal it.
Mine is hinged at the top. I do need to replace the weatherstripping on mine as it was stuck and when I forced it open, it ruined the weatherstrip.
jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is another maintance that should be checked a few times a year. If you have the hinged type you should open it and treat the rubber gasket with 303 or baby power to keep the seal from sticking to the window (making it harder to open when or if you ever needed to get out). You winn owners need to check your windows some of yours are not hinged and in an emergency when you open them they are designed to fall out.
The above is info from Mac the Fire guy. How many of you have a piece of wood to hold the window open so you can get out if you have to.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:42 AM   #10

2004 fleetwood Flair mine dosen’t Have a hinge lost it this year going to Fl. 550 $ poorer this year. Was able to replace with Fleetwood.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #11

Quote:
I've seen some that had a hinge designed so that if the window is raised past 90* the window will drop out of the hinge. Good in an emergency, not so good if you just open the window more than you should.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #12
IC2

Ours had a 'hinge' break somewhere outside of Lubbock, TX, 2500+ road miles from home. It stayed in the frame so wasn't lost along the highway. Emergency repair was a bunch of duct tape until we got home. The 'hinge' as supplied by the window manufacturer, Hehr, were two aluminum pop rivets that rotated in a channel. These were way too short and angled wrong. Drilled them out, added a couple more at 2x longer plus replaced the originals. We no longer use that window for fresh air and I only 'break' the seal to test its operation on a yearly basis. Gotta say that there has to be a better way
Old 03-30-2019, 07:59 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
no such thing as OT in my threads... meander all we want, that's fun to me.

My emergency window just falls out. i think i might just rig up so way to it simply flops open and hangs there. Might be a place to try out some VHB tape?
Old 03-30-2019, 08:01 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Mine is hinged at the top. I do need to replace the weatherstripping on mine as it was stuck and when I forced it open, it ruined the weatherstrip.
jt
yeah, i noticed my weather stripping is in a dad state too. Time to order some and see if it installs itself. i think that's an option on Amazon now... 😇

Tags
window