Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oops---s#@^

OPPS!!!

Isn’t it funny how life can repay you for thinking how dumb things always happen to others and you think “How dumb are they”

We have been on the road for about 5 years and I can’t count how many times I have read about people having an accident with their Black Tank maintenance. Well guess what ?

I went out and hooked up all the hoses and the Sewer King, just like a hundred times before, thinking I have done this so many times how could the other people screw up and have catastrophic accidents ? It’s so simple.

I missed a lug pin on the twist-on and took a bath in the worst liquid I ever saw.
\
Then to make it worse, I put a high pressure nozzle on the rinse hose and when I turned on the water the end of the hose blew off and I rinsed off myself. So I went in and rapidly changed close so I could go out and change the hose and rinse out the service bay. No Problem.

After I rinsed the bay and had to listen to my DW about being dumb (which I deserved) I went in and shined the flashlight down the commode hole to be sure the tank was clean and darn there was still some TP down there, I went outside and reconnected the rinse hose with the high pressure nozzle and stuck it through the bathroom window, which like before I had done a hundred times before, well the nozzle has a lever to release the water flow and guess what hit the edge of the commode ? It flooded the tile floor before I could get inside, it flooded the bathroom and was headed for the kitchen. I never thought so much water came out of the end of the hose.

I now have a GREAT deal of empathy for my fellow screw ups !!!!!!!

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #2

I think you should have your wife take over that job!
gvenlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Happens to all of us ..... Its the case of the odds catching up with us.....If nothings damaged its been an ok day.....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It comes with age. I routinely do things now that I previously attributed as only happening to stupid people.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #5

Well that just stinks!!!
srrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
LOL

I can't quit laughing. What a great sense of humor you have. I wouldn't have had the guts to tell that story on myself.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #7

Larry, come on now tell the truth - Rita wrote this right
Note to self - Don't do this!
Still laughing, thanks so much for sharing.
deekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvenlet View Post
I think you should have your wife take over that job!
It was easier for Moses to part the Red Sea then it would be for me to get the DW to do anything with the black tank.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As funny as this is now-I bested it about a year ago.
Rita was on the throne when I pulled the gate on the black tank.
She makes sure she knows where I am before she uses' the little room.
In as much as having her do some of the outside chores (HA HA) Nasty

Larry
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:40 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have access to the opposite side of your black tank, I recommend you install this. It will keep the rinse hose outside of the RV where it belongs.

Amazon.com: Valterra Products, Inc. A-70 No Fuss Flush with Check Valve: Automotive

There are no moving parts to break, unlike other brands of flush nozzles.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:04 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
If you have access to the opposite side of your black tank, I recommend you install this. It will keep the rinse hose outside of the RV where it belongs.

Amazon.com: Valterra Products, Inc. A-70 No Fuss Flush with Check Valve: Automotive

There are no moving parts to break, unlike other brands of flush nozzles.
I have installed 2 of these. One on the black tank and one on the grey. I also recommend these after having used them on a regular basis for about 4 years.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not all over myself, but all over the bathroom floor and the storage bay below the bathroom floor. Let myself get distracted on the second rinse with internal tank rinse system. Fortunately after major clean up with disinfectant pine cleaner in bathroom and storage bay, throw rug from bath room on long wash and followed by a couple of mild chlorine washes in the storage bay the mishap was cleared. Now the wife does "spotter duty" if I have to do an extend rinse.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
OPPS!!!

Isn’t it funny how life can repay you for thinking how dumb things always happen to others and you think “How dumb are they”

We have been on the road for about 5 years and I can’t count how many times I have read about people having an accident with their Black Tank maintenance. Well guess what ?

I went out and hooked up all the hoses and the Sewer King, just like a hundred times before, thinking I have done this so many times how could the other people screw up and have catastrophic accidents ? It’s so simple.

I missed a lug pin on the twist-on and took a bath in the worst liquid I ever saw.
\
Then to make it worse, I put a high pressure nozzle on the rinse hose and when I turned on the water the end of the hose blew off and I rinsed off myself. So I went in and rapidly changed close so I could go out and change the hose and rinse out the service bay. No Problem.

After I rinsed the bay and had to listen to my DW about being dumb (which I deserved) I went in and shined the flashlight down the commode hole to be sure the tank was clean and darn there was still some TP down there, I went outside and reconnected the rinse hose with the high pressure nozzle and stuck it through the bathroom window, which like before I had done a hundred times before, well the nozzle has a lever to release the water flow and guess what hit the edge of the commode ? It flooded the tile floor before I could get inside, it flooded the bathroom and was headed for the kitchen. I never thought so much water came out of the end of the hose.

I now have a GREAT deal of empathy for my fellow screw ups !!!!!!!
Mama said there would be days like this!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Black tank accidents aren't a matter of if, but when. Eventually it WILL happen. We had ours early in our RV-ing "maintenance" history. Should be error-free for the next 25 years or so.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote