Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post

Yep, we entered Canada at Bonner's Ferry, ID and were selected for a full hour 'random' search by 4 of Canada's finest. We had beer in the fridge and opened booze containers in the cabinet...nothing was said. Glad we didn't have any thing illegal, THAT was some search.
While I have been across the border hundreds of times, a similar thing happened to me when crossing at Aldergrove BC into the US. I had open liquor bottles and several beer in the fridge, nothing was said about this. They were looking for dog food if you can imagine. The dogfood I had was made in the US and we bought it in California. I have been RVing for more than 50 years and have never been cited for improper liquor storage or transportation. I never consume alcohol while driving so I am not concerned with any DUI charge. The only times I have had to blow in a tube was once in the Netherlands and once in Australia. Both were random checks and not in an RV either time.

But liquor laws are state/province or sometimes municipality legislated so I suppose one would need to know the statute in each jurisdiction to determine legality. Even some government parks have liquor laws as previously noted.

I have never heard of anyone being cited for just carrying open liquor in an RV and I simply do not concern myself about carrying it. Who would put thier beer in a hot basement and not carry a cool one in the fridge?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Why do people worry about things like this?

How many of you have ever been stopped for anything and then have your rv searched?
dons2346
In addition to a few Canadian border crossing searches, numerous state ag inspections and one search at the old Hoover Dam crossing, my coach has been searched during two "traffic stops".
Once in TX because my rear license plate light bulb was burned out, and once in SC because my rear license plate had broken off and disappeared.
(Both of those stops resulted verbal warning).

BTW, The officer in SC had my wife and me exit the coach and stand it front of his car while he searched the coach.
I asked the officer, "Why the search and why the extra precaution"?
He replied, "Because a fellow officer found the bodies of the owner and his wife stuffed under the table in a stolen RV during a routine traffic stop a few days ago"!

Mel
'96 Safari

Old 01-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #17

You are welcome to look it up per state, and in MN it is verboten. So, it put it outside while in transit. I'm good to go everywhere. You?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You are welcome to look it up per state, and in MN it is verboten. So, it put it outside while in transit. I'm good to go everywhere. You?

Much ado about nothing.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #19

Some think it is nothing. I grew up in MN. Know folks that got caught.

From another source. Enjoy.

From MN I heard from my local news that having an open container when driving in my state Is legal so long as your not drunk or over the limit.Is this true?

Absolutely NOT true. Mere possession of an alcoholic beverage in the vehicle is against the law. Driving while possessing it simply worsens the situation.

Here is a link to the current law on the subject matter: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169A.35

Old 01-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Why do people worry about things like this?

How many of you have ever been stopped for anything and then have your rv searched?
Our coach was searched entering California. They looked in our fridge and cupboards. They were looking for produce and did confiscate some oranges, but nothing was said about the partial bottle of wine sitting in the fridge. Since my husband does not drink and I only have a glass after we have made camp, I really never have worried about it or thought about it.. But I think this has been a great conversation to have. We could be making a mistake unknowingly.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #21

In Ms. Some of state parks say No Alcohol !! In the park or on the water! Never checked MH, but do get checked on water, ( often )
Old 01-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1st. Just because you get stopped for a traffic violation doesn't mean your MH is subject to search. The Officer has to have probable cause. this is where it can get dicey. If you haven't been drinking, why would you let an officer in your MH?
#2 there are several court rulings that even as a 2nd home your MH is your castle. Just because it is on 4 wheels, it is still your domain. it carries all the rights of any stick house. So, you make the decision, search or NO Way. If you say NO, then you risk the threat of being detained until they get a Search Warrant. Did I mention they'll need probable cause. When he makes the threat ask him if he minds that you call your attorney. Unless you have been a wise A$$ a search warrant is not going to be issued. And his threat is just a threat because you challenged his authority. I don't drink any liqueur, beer or spirits of any type. but, there is NO Way I'd give a Officer the opportunity to stick his nose into my home without a warrant. I've been stopped, been threatened and stuck to my rights (very politely) and the Officer backed down. Crossing the Border in and out of the USA is different and they will detain you, will search your vehicle. safe travels.... ed
Old 01-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #23

On "Cops" the Bad Boys get searched when the LEO sees an open beer.
The ods of such things for RVers is much lower, but my hooch goes outside. No risk, aye? YMMV

Old 01-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Ed is correct in that you can say no to a search. You will probably be held until a search warrant appears but that warrant has to state what they are looking for. If it says "open booze" you might be stuck but if they find oranges, no big deal because it wasn't on the warrant.

In 14 years, I have been in and out of Canada and Mexico numerous times. I have never been searched
Old 01-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #25

So, some of you will actually have open hooch in the rig, assuming there will not be that "one time"?

It wont happen to me. No "standing up for my rights". No searches. No warrants, nor probable cause, or lawyer or detainment in a holding cell. Nonono. Not me.

An outdoor bin is reeeeal close to the door, ya know? I find those few steps in the evening to happen pretty quick.

And dont have a collision in MN (et al).

Old 01-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
So, some of you will actually have open hooch in the rig, assuming there will not be that "one time"?
Yes. We travel with open bottles of wine and other alcoholic beverages in the kitchen pantry or 'fridge. We never drink while underway nor have open containers in the cockpit. Never give it a thought.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gentle Reminder: Please keep the discussion on-topic, which is "Open Container." Thanks.

Off topic posts have been removed.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW
Yes. We travel with open bottles of wine and other alcoholic beverages in the kitchen pantry or 'fridge. We never drink while underway nor have open containers in the cockpit. Never give it a thought.
Us too - new, unopened bar stock under the bed or rear closet. Open wine and liquor in the cabinet beneath the dining table. Beer or white wine in the refrigerator. Never drink alcohol before or while driving.

Never worried about it. I will gladly blow alcohol free if it were to come to that. I don't foresee it ever being a problem. My driving record is spotless - I'm am full grown. LOE has always treated me as such and suspect if they were to look in the cabinet under the dining table it would either go unmentioned or they would advise me as to where if anywhere else I should store it. Being dragged off to jail sober seems pretty remote to me.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote